Home Match Day Thread 26/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Lincoln City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Lincoln have money to assemble a decent squad, always had them down as a basic league two side not that big.
I don't think they spent a huge amount of money last summer. They just had a manager who, as soon as the season ended and it was clear Lincoln were going to be in L1 again this season, immediately started developing a game plan and identifying potential targets. He's a big believer in data-driven analysis, which is how they were able to pick up some, on paper, weird acquisitions, but who turn out to be excellent without breaking the bank. That Lewis Montsma they have at CB was picked up on a free from a second division side in the Netherlands, and he's been brilliant all year.

He didn't go missing. He went for the high press which would have been part of our game plan. Once this was missed he was never getting back. After this he was pretty solid, and even did a job at left back when asked. He has also done pretty well in midfield when asked since coming back from injury.

Take your blinkers off and watch the game and you might just see something very different!
I watched the game, and fortunately remembered to take the blinkers off beforehand, but still concur with Oxfordpete. There’s a high press and a hopeless press, he is slow which ain’t his fault but what is his fault is his efforts to get back to cover not specifically in this game but in general over past few matches. He also gives me that accident waiting to happen feeling more than any other player we’ve had lately.

Last edited:
He didn't go missing. He went for the high press which would have been part of our game plan. Once this was missed he was never getting back. After this he was pretty solid, and even did a job at left back when asked. He has also done pretty well in midfield when asked since coming back from injury.

Take your blinkers off and watch the game and you might just see something very different!
Tbh @Scotchegg i wasn’t overly impressed with Hanson until he went LB and he started to play much better, yes he got caught out for their goal but there should have been cover if the opposition break which they did.
Certainly this season when he has played he has shown at times to be a reasonable player.

I’ve been here long enough now that I gave up trying to say football 🤬😬...ban me malc!!

Although technically I think if you look up the derivation they’re correctly adopting the original term (aSOCCiation football) and it’s us who has bastardised it
Ricky, Ricky, Ricky...I've lived in the States mostly since 1981 and for me there's only one term--it's football, the game in which you predominantly use your feet to play, unlike the American bastardization.

OK, admittedly I have to add "REAL football" so that my American friends don't get too confused, but most of them know me well enough to know what I'm talking about. I've also converted several to being fans of the mighty Yellows, known throughout N. Carolina as the greatest football team the world has ever known.

Unrelated but watching it on Sky brought back how terrible the Ifollow camera is, both in terms of angles and just general resolution/quality

Tbf, compared to a lot of the opposition camera operators on iFollow, ours is pretty good. Also helps that whoever does the replays doesn't do it when play is actually ongoing as well.

Guessing it was tiredness and relatively poor form combined with sitting out the 37th game to avoid a suspension. He has a clear run to the end of the season now so could work out well. Was a risk to rest him for this one but paid off. Mainly because CB covered so selflessly. You could see the lad wanting to push forward constantly but holding himself back like there was a magnet in the D. Won us the game imho.

I hope we stick with last night's midfield vs Sunderland. Cam Bran gave us some control while Sykes and Henry gave us some creativity (while also working hard defensively).

I’ve been here long enough now that I gave up trying to say football 🤬😬...ban me malc!!

Although technically I think if you look up the derivation they’re correctly adopting the original term (aSOCCiation football) and it’s us who has bastardised it

No ban needed, just rehabilitation. I fully understand that you've been influenced by the orange man.

I think the clue is ‘association FOOTBALL’ Ricky 😉. You could just rename American Football to better represent what it is ie. American Rugby Lite 🤣

Not "Lite"but "Heavy" judging by the armour worn to protect the softies.

How about trying Armoured Rugby in place of American Football....or just shorten it to ARMARUGGA for the US market?

Can't see why our American cousins would object to that :unsure:

Guessing it was tiredness and relatively poor form combined with sitting out the 37th game to avoid a suspension. He has a clear run to the end of the season now so could work out well. Was a risk to rest him for this one but paid off. Mainly because CB covered so selflessly. You could see the lad wanting to push forward constantly but holding himself back like there was a magnet in the D. Won us the game imho.
We looked better without Gorrin.

Totally agree we got forwards much quicker giving us more space to get at them. When it goes back sideways back we get completely marked up front and it becomes so predictable. Watch the best teams two and three passes and they are attacking .Enjoyed the game keep the excitement coming to the end of the season.

But he went missing at right back for their first goal. He’s not a right back he’s not a left back and when he’s in midfield he regularly gets his pocket picked, he’s also way too slow
Afraid a occupational hazard at Oxford with full backs, something Appleton pointed out on sky last season.

Last edited:
Afraid a occupational hazard at Oxford with full backs, something Appleton pointed out on sky last season.
Certainly true for midfielders playing at fullback. 😉

How is American Football, football?
Isn't the idea that it is predominantly running with the ball in hand or throwing the ball with hand?
As football becomes bigger in the US with MLS, does anybody call it 'football ' now or will it always be 'soccer?

Apparently football just meant a sport played on foot (rather than on a horse) with a ball so the name can equally apply to both Rugby codes, Gridiron (remember it being called that when I was a kid for some reason, probably on a spectrum computer game), Aussie, Gaelic etc

So historically they are not wrong, although in reality the world calls one sport football and all other sports should just get over it.

Ricky, Ricky, Ricky...I've lived in the States mostly since 1981 and for me there's only one term--it's football, the game in which you predominantly use your feet to play, unlike the American bastardization.

OK, admittedly I have to add "REAL football" so that my American friends don't get too confused, but most of them know me well enough to know what I'm talking about. I've also converted several to being fans of the mighty Yellows, known throughout N. Carolina as the greatest football team the world has ever known.

it depends who you’re with...I play for a Brazilian team in the Houston league and we all say football. However I play part time for a more US origin team and they call it soccer.

Amongst my Texas friends I will say football or soccer depending on who it is....

I’ve made the mistake of coming home though and seeing friends at the pub and dropping the “s” bomb. I got hammered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom