Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

183-2 at stumps........... should get there by lunch tomorrow - weather pending!!

I'm all for giving players time but Crawley looks absolutely lost as an opener. Give an actual opener a chance.
Compton should of been in from the start on current form. I would still like to see him given a go for the India series. Although would feel for the lad as he has now not played a first class game for weeks.

That was flipping brilliant. After Southee got Pope in the first over of the day, to then smash Boult for 17 in his first over completely wrestled the momentum back to us before NZ even had the chance to apply pressure. Second fastest England test fifty ever by Bairstow. An excellent series, we've won 3-0 chasing over 275 in the fourth innings each time, and watching England in test cricket has become a pleasure again.

Is it too early to extend McCullum's contract?!

Not long to wait for the next fix, the Test v India starts on Friday, although they should have forfeited after refusing to play it last year.

Well I’m pretty miffed to be honest with you.

Had a 90 minute meeting start just as play resumed and they’ve managed to wrap it all up before I had a chance to listen to a single ball.

It’s just not cricket!

Well, despite my misgivings about the way we are approaching test cricket - it has certainly worked in this series. And it has been pretty exciting as well.

I thought the Kiwis were pretty lacklustre though - let's see how the same approach works in the one off test v India on Friday.

Well, despite my misgivings about the way we are approaching test cricket - it has certainly worked in this series. And it has been pretty exciting as well.

I thought the Kiwis were pretty lacklustre though - let's see how the same approach works in the one off test v India on Friday.

Kiwis seemed a bowler short in every Test and relying too much on Boult. They lost de Grandhomme and Patel and Southee wasn’t the force of old.

Not that should retract from a very good first series for Stokes and England. Some of the old problems remain but England found ways to win or get out of trouble which they wouldn’t have done in previous years.

Still need to sort out the openers. Crawley will be very fortunate to get another go, Lees has looked better than in the West Indies, so he deserves another shot. Good to see Pope get some runs, I really hope he manages to kick on now as when he's in full flow he is the most elegant English player since Ian Bell.

Kiwis seemed a bowler short in every Test and relying too much on Boult. They lost de Grandhomme and Patel and Southee wasn’t the force of old.

Not that should retract from a very good first series for Stokes and England. Some of the old problems remain but England found ways to win or get out of trouble which they wouldn’t have done in previous years.

They dropped Patel after the 1st Test to strengthen the batting depth didn't they?

Work has yet to notice that my WFH days may, or may not, coincide with the Tests.

Rohit Sharma tested positive for Covid on Sunday so fingers crossed............................

Work has yet to notice that my WFH days may, or may not, coincide with the Tests.

Rohit Sharma tested positive for Covid on Sunday so fingers crossed............................

Does this Test count towards the Test Championship?

Believe we're the first team in the history of Test cricket to successfully chase down 250+ three matches running.

Stunning effort. Now bring on India.....I suspect that their bowling will provide a sterner test. Bairstow may not be able to go medieval on them from ball one, the way he has been able to with NZ's undercooked attack.

Believe we're the first team in the history of Test cricket to successfully chase down 250+ three matches running.

Stunning effort. Now bring on India.....I suspect that their bowling will provide a sterner test. Bairstow may not be able to go medieval on them from ball one, the way he has been able to with NZ's undercooked attack.

Tbf, Boult and Southee are world class. The next rank of seam bowlers are all pretty good international bowlers as well. The spin options though...

Tbf, Boult and Southee are world class. The next rank of seam bowlers are all pretty good international bowlers as well. The spin options though...

So I didn't see much of the series myself (was mostly on when I'm at work) - but from what I heard, Southee was looking like a shell of his usual self?

Certainly his stats suggested as much (9 wickets in the series at 59, and an economy rate of 4.3).

So I didn't see much of the series myself (was mostly on when I'm at work) - but from what I heard, Southee was looking like a shell of his usual self?

Certainly his stats suggested as much (9 wickets in the series at 59, and an economy rate of 4.3).
Yeah Southee has been average at best. Think he returned 1-250 or so in the second test. Boult has been, on the whole, awesome.

Back
Top Bottom