Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

107-1 it's either game on or a disaster, there seems to be no middle ground with England. :)

Pope goes first ball after tea. 107/2. Big innings from Root needed.

When we implode we do tend to do it quite spectacularly!!!!

The moaning about the ball is becoming laughable now. I know the Duke balls aren't doing great this year in keeping their shape but now teams (England, New Zealand and India) are just complaining when the ball isn't doing anything. India actually complained 2 times in 3 balls even after the 1st time it went through the guide with absolutely no issues, but complained again even though all that had happened was the ball coming off Lees thigh pad for a boundary. The Umpires should tell them to do one and I say that for when England or whomever do it as well.

The problem is that the ball *is* going very dead very quickly - hence the large lower middle order partnerships throughout the summer so far. While the whinging about the ball is very irritating, you can understand why the bowling teams are doing it - the 'replacement' ball this time out has moved far more than the original. I guess it's like all things - if there aren't rules about how often you can ask about the ball, then players will keep trying it on!

The problem is that the ball *is* going very dead very quickly - hence the large lower middle order partnerships throughout the summer so far. While the whinging about the ball is very irritating, you can understand why the bowling teams are doing it - the 'replacement' ball this time out has moved far more than the original. I guess it's like all things - if there aren't rules about how often you can ask about the ball, then players will keep trying it on!

If it is obviously out of shape that is one thing but India (and England/New Zealand) are just complaining because it isn't swinging like they want it to. I don't remember this in previous years when the ball isn't doing much. I'd suggest the bowlers and fielding Captain etc need to think up better plans/approaches for this period and bowl better. Also, I'd say the bowlers having a period on top and the batters having a period on top makes for better Test cricket.

That twice in 3 balls took the pee. I hope a rule is introduced, if a fielding player complains about the ball and it goes through the guide then the ball will be used for at least another 8 overs (or whatever the number) and will only be replaced if it is lost (ie. from a 6).

I was discussing the ball issues earlier today. Could a rule not be implemented when at set intervals an umpire quickly checks it? Therefore ruling out the players requesting a change.

For instance first check after 30 overs then every 10 thereafter.. something along those lines. Every team has the same checks. Players no longer disrupting play with multiple attempts to gain advantages. Something has to be done. We need to move away from the ball doing nothing, for it to then be changed, and then all of a sudden it’s a completely different game.

If it is obviously out of shape that is one thing but India (and England/New Zealand) are just complaining because it isn't swinging like they want it to. I don't remember this in previous years when the ball isn't doing much. I'd suggest the bowlers and fielding Captain etc need to think up better plans/approaches for this period and bowl better. Also, I'd say the bowlers having a period on top and the batters having a period on top makes for better Test cricket.

That twice in 3 balls took the pee. I hope a rule is introduced, if a fielding player complains about the ball and it goes through the guide then the ball will be used for at least another 8 overs (or whatever the number) and will only be replaced if it is lost (ie. from a 6).
Me neither, but that's because it's never been such a problem until now. I agree with those saying the umpires should clamp down and take a firmer line on teams constantly badgering them to change the ball, especially when they've done so just a couple of minutes beforehand. And then they're at it again next over, and so on. But there IS a major problem with the quality of this year's Dukes balls. In county cricket in the rounds before the test summer began, they've been getting changed left, right and centre, because they are continuously going out of shape: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61712345

"During Durham's recent match in Chester-le-Street there were 11 unscheduled ball changes during a four-day game with Glamorgan, including five in one day.
In a first-class match, the fielding side starts each innings with a new ball which is meant to be used for 80 overs before being replaced.
Umpires and players say they have not come across such an issue for a long time with the brand.
It's not just happened to Durham either, it's been happening across the county game."

Well well. What an attempt to get 378.
Bairstow is in ridiculous form and Root is class.
England really should do this now which would be some win.

England really should do this now which would be some win.
Stop it right there :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'm still very damaged from watching this side over the last 2 or 3 years, I just keep thinking 2 wickets and India are back to favourites with England having what I heard described the other day as 'a tail longer than a diplodocus'

A nice solid start to the day will put me at ease. How long to the new ball?

Nice to see Crawley find some form again yesterday - fastest ever century opening stand by England in Tests.

Back
Top Bottom