Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

Boult aside it has been a rather limited bowling attack. Think this has been slightly overlooked. They could be in for a shock against India?

Has been a fantastic series. Shame it isn’t 5 matches.

So I didn't see much of the series myself (was mostly on when I'm at work) - but from what I heard, Southee was looking like a shell of his usual self?

Certainly his stats suggested as much (9 wickets in the series at 59, and an economy rate of 4.3).

Yes, I meant to add that as well but forgot to put it in. To be fair, I think the English batsmen (bar Crawley) made his figures a lot worse in this series through their efforts rather than his failures. Boult also took a hammering at times. Southee may have lost a bit of form though but he is for me still world class.

Boult aside it has been a rather limited bowling attack. Think this has been slightly overlooked. They could be in for a shock against India?

Has been a fantastic series. Shame it isn’t 5 matches.

That limited bowling attack won NZ the World Test Championship in the main.

That limited bowling attack won NZ the World Test Championship in the main.
I meant in regard to this series specifically.

Boult and more significantly Southee have both looked very tired at times with their workload. No wonder with their schedule. (Obviously Boult has been exceptional too)

They were a man down for an innings in the series through injury, and the three man attack with very much part time Bracewell in the last test. Missing De Grandhomme also..

(Totally respect the point that it’s a dangerous attack when firing on all cylinders)

England v India today. England won the toss and put India in to bat. Currently 46/2, Anderson striking twice.

Nobody has mentioned the retirement of Morgan from the white ball team.
What a fantastic Captain he has been. After the shambles of white ball cricket under Cook ( and before) he revolutionised the England cricket white ball cricket culminating in that superb WC Final v NZ

86 for 4.
2 wickets for Potts.
How good could this bowler be? The test will be abroad. I reckon he could work out pretty well in India, Sri Lanka.
Thoughts?

86 for 4.
2 wickets for Potts.
How good could this bowler be? The test will be abroad. I reckon he could work out pretty well in India, Sri Lanka.
Thoughts?

Excellent start to his career. The next test will be bowling overseas with a Kookaburra but very promising. The other thing is I hope our media don't over the top with hype.

Fantastic catch by Billings.

England going well hopefully when they bat they get a good lead. Potts going good and Anderson doing what he does in England especially.
A moan from me now unfortunately about the scheduling regarding county cricket. The ECB have thirteen I think it is England matches in July , also they have the quarters and finals day of the t20. This is fine for some teams but mine( provided they win either tonight or Sunday) will miss Root Bairstow Malan Brook and Wiley to the England squads plus Rashid to granted leave.
The hundred is ruining the county season!!

England going well hopefully when they bat they get a good lead. Potts going good and Anderson doing what he does in England especially.
A moan from me now unfortunately about the scheduling regarding county cricket. The ECB have thirteen I think it is England matches in July , also they have the quarters and finals day of the t20. This is fine for some teams but mine( provided they win either tonight or Sunday) will miss Root Bairstow Malan Brook and Wiley to the England squads plus Rashid to granted leave.
The hundred is ruining the county season!! cricket
fixed ^^ ;)

Pant would adore playing in this England side. Imagine him and Bairstow together.

He really can haul a game away from you.

Pant would adore playing in this England side. Imagine him and Bairstow together.

He really can haul a game away from you.
hes doing exactly that

if bowling short stuff a short leg fielder should be in place- more chance of the batsman being wary of playing defensive strokes, thus tempted to swing at the ball- but no short leg?

What is it this summer about sixth wicket partnerships against England this summer!! We finally see the back of the New Zealand pair then get two more from India.

What is it this summer about sixth wicket partnerships against England this summer!! We finally see the back of the New Zealand pair then get two more from India.
It's the balls. They are going soft and losing their shine very quickly - so once the lacquer has worn off, it doesn't swing or bounce as much. The openers and early middle order have to face difficult conditions and the middle order much less so. Hence the bowling side repeatedly trying to get the balls changed later in the innings, and the batting side looking as if they are facing a partially deflated tennis ball! We've done the same more than once this summer, being 5 down for 50 and them making a decent score.

It's the balls. They are going soft and losing their shine very quickly - so once the lacquer has worn off, it doesn't swing or bounce as much. The openers and early middle order have to face difficult conditions and the middle order much less so. Hence the bowling side repeatedly trying to get the balls changed later in the innings, and the batting side looking as if they are facing a partially deflated tennis ball! We've done the same more than once this summer, being 5 down for 50 and them making a decent score.
agree 100% ^^

England are on some trouble.
Likely to be around 140 behind with over 2 days to go.
England will have to do incredibly well to avoid losing this

The England run chase has started, 378 to win, although I don't think anyone has told the batsmen that we don't have to get them today. Currently 30/0 off the first 6 overs.

The England run chase has started, 378 to win, although I don't think anyone has told the batsmen that we don't have to get them today. Currently 30/0 off the first 6 overs.

If you can’t defend, you may as well attack.

England are bound to be hammered once or twice trying it, but when it works it’s superb.

90-0 off 18 overs - in a Test match - in a fourth innings at a ground where no one has chase down anything over 300 before.

We’re such a strange team, feel like we can win from certain defeat, but also like we can beat ourselves all the time too

Today is one of the good ones so far though

I think I am (for good or ill) going to have to rethink what I think test cricket actually is!

Surely England can't have another first innings collapse (86-5 this time) and get anywhere near winning.

Edit: Crawley leaves one and is bowled....

Back
Top Bottom