Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

Stop it right there :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'm still very damaged from watching this side over the last 2 or 3 years, I just keep thinking 2 wickets and India are back to favourites with England having what I heard described the other day as 'a tail longer than a diplodocus'

A nice solid start to the day will put me at ease. How long to the new ball?

23 overs until the new ball. Bearing in mind how England play now, you'd hope to knock those off before it came into play.

I too am slightly uneasy. Two wickets in the first 30 minutes and it looks a lot harder to do. Oddly, Stokes is the player not adapting to Bazzball as much as we would have thought. Bairstow and Root play positive cricket but keep the risk relatively low. Stokes has slapped the odd juicy delivery straight to fielders.

I hope for a faintly boring end to the Test similar to the one at Lord's against NZ. Just Root knocking off the remaining runs with a minimum of fuss. Please.

I haven’t watched except highlights shows but saw similar comments on bbc . What’s he been doing ?

There's celebrating a wicket and there's what Kohli does.

I can take a bit of character in celebrating and sledging. Sheldon Cottrell's salute, Merv Hughes's 'tickets please' and Jimmy's arms wide gesture at Mitchell Johnson's 'not chirping now you're not taking wickets' jibe - all fine in my book. But there's Kohli essentially running up into the face of batter who has just got out. Some say it's passion and energy. I say it's rude and unsportmanlike.

Celebrating is good. Goading right in the face of the opponent is not cool.

119 for the win ...7 wickets to reach that target with... c'mon England

Stop it right there :ROFLMAO:

I guess I'm still very damaged from watching this side over the last 2 or 3 years, I just keep thinking 2 wickets and India are back to favourites with England having what I heard described the other day as 'a tail longer than a diplodocus'

A nice solid start to the day will put me at ease. How long to the new ball?
Feeling slightly less nervous now?!

Feeling slightly less nervous now?!
Yep, once again it's been a stroll. Not sure I'll ever get used to it being like this :ROFLMAO: Bairstow has become becalmed a bit the last half hour though, would be good for him to get through to his ton as well...

Pressure totally off, just need these two to knock off the handful of runs that are needed. Amazing run chase.

Question is.. what’s changed in the dressing room? For the last few years this team has been absolutely woeful at times. Ok a couple of changes in the line up, but something mentality wise has changed dramatically. Players going out and playing with a sense of freedom, and Bairstow was horrific with the bat not long ago, now he’s got four centuries in 5 innings.

Not complaining it’s nice to see.

I think annihilation is the appropriate word for that innings. Siraj lucky not to get a 100 score in that innings as well.

Question is.. what’s changed in the dressing room? For the last few years this team has been absolutely woeful at times. Ok a couple of changes in the line up, but something mentality wise has changed dramatically. Players going out and playing with a sense of freedom, and Bairstow was horrific with the bat not long ago, now he’s got four centuries in 5 innings.

Not complaining it’s nice to see.

Brendan McCullum has always been an innovator. He was behind the acceleration of the ODI game, using principles from T20. It came to the fore in the 2015 World Cup when England’s meagre 123 was chased down by NZ in 12.2 overs. It was the hard reset England’s ODI side needed to get with the times and they have certainly done that. Eoin Morgan and McCullum are good friends off the field too and Morgan said his approach was a massive influence on England. Buttler will take that approach forward too. They were two runs short of 500 in a recent ODI against the Netherlands.

I guess we’re seeing the same apply to the Test team. Aggressive and positive cricket - but not brainless slogging - that doesn’t allow bowlers to settle and frazzles the mind of captains in trying to organise their field. It helps that he has some very high calibre players to call upon in Root, Bairstow and Stokes so working with England gives him more options than the more limited talent pool with NZ. The confidence is already up post the disastrous Silverwood era where England went miles backwards.

There are gaps and question marks still. Pope and Crawley look shaky still. Lees is still learning. Is there a place for the likes of Buttler or Moeen back in this England team? Could Billings be an upgrade on Foakes? What is the succession plan for Anderson and Broad? Is there a better player than Leach available as a spin option?

All will be answered, I’m sure. It’s going well so far though!

Brendan McCullum has always been an innovator. He was behind the acceleration of the ODI game, using principles from T20. It came to the fore in the 2015 World Cup when England’s meagre 123 was chased down by NZ in 12.2 overs. It was the hard reset England’s ODI side needed to get with the times and they have certainly done that. Eoin Morgan and McCullum are good friends off the field too and Morgan said his approach was a massive influence on England. Buttler will take that approach forward too. They were two runs short of 500 in a recent ODI against the Netherlands.

I guess we’re seeing the same apply to the Test team. Aggressive and positive cricket - but not brainless slogging - that doesn’t allow bowlers to settle and frazzles the mind of captains in trying to organise their field. It helps that he has some very high calibre players to call upon in Root, Bairstow and Stokes so working with England gives him more options than the more limited talent pool with NZ. The confidence is already up post the disastrous Silverwood era where England went miles backwards.

There are gaps and question marks still. Pope and Crawley look shaky still. Lees is still learning. Is there a place for the likes of Buttler or Moeen back in this England team? Could Billings be an upgrade on Foakes? What is the succession plan for Anderson and Broad? Is there a better player than Leach available as a spin option?

All will be answered, I’m sure. It’s going well so far though!

The obvious sign of the aggressive and positive cricket was winning the toss and bowling first because they wanted to chase as they were willing to chase anything (as was shown).

At least Crawley showed signs in this last innings which he hadn't shown previously. The one thing McCullum and New Zealand have done in the past is back a player, giving them time which I think will happen with Crawley and Pope.

On Foakes vs Billings then it is Foakes for me but Billings has shown he is a good back up. Kumar Sangakkara was comparing their positioning for various bowlers and he was praising Foakes a lot in comparison to Billings. So if KS is backing Foakes then he is no.1 for me as he is a capable batsman as well.

The obvious sign of the aggressive and positive cricket was winning the toss and bowling first because they wanted to chase as they were willing to chase anything (as was shown).
So the old idea of almost always batting first is out of the window?
It will be very interesting what happens now especially abroad.
Facing 3 Indian spinners on the last day of a Test in India or even Starc, Cummins and ANO on a quick track with cracks appearing won't be quite the same!

Facing 3 Indian spinners on the last day of a Test in India or even Starc, Cummins and ANO on a quick track with cracks appearing won't be quite the same!

No No.

Facing 3 Indian spinners on Day 1 and first session of a series in India.

The ball turns 90 degrees there from the first over.

No No.

Facing 3 Indian spinners on Day 1 and first session of a series in India.

The ball turns 90 degrees there from the first over.
giphy.gif

Not a problem. We will just have to keep sending Root out in that case, and hope they don't notice him under the helmet. Some fake noses and beards should suffice.

They will come unstuck but got to be better than playing for draws. I suspect the approach will adapt to the circumstances but remain a positive approach.

giphy.gif

Not a problem. We will just have to keep sending Root out in that case, and hope they don't notice him under the helmet. Some fake noses and beards should suffice.

It was blatantly obvious over there, that they fixed the pitches, and surprised they didn’t get a a penalty of some sort. The moment we won the first test in Chennai, the pitches changed dramatically, and matches finished in two days.

Back
Top Bottom