Home Match Day Thread +++ FAC 4th Replay - OUFC v Newcastle United MDT +++

Firstly, some real moments of individual brilliance to get us back in that game but I think ultimately it will be a blessing in disguise, just pleased it was a half decent spectacle in the end

Now for an observation on our favourite player...

I’m sorry but anyone that suggests that Mackie is anything but totally ineffective must be watching different games of football to me. When you’re playing one up top, at the very least they need to be good at one of two things, either someone who can bring balls down to the midfield running on and generally hold the ball up (especially important when playing teams “better” than you, if only to give the defence a breather and time to get their shape) or have some pace to be able to run the channels, and stretch and pull the opposition defence out of position as your midfield join the attack, they can then find those pockets of space vacated by the defender now out of position

Mackie displays neither of the above qualities, he is too slow and cumbersome to run the channels, and is really quite poor in the air, especially for someone who is by no means small, let’s also not forget he quite often fouls defenders when attempting to challenge for the ball.

Agyei I think proved to most fans at least, not only tonight, but previously, that he at least has some of the characteristics above

To suggest Mackie starts because he is a leader or experienced is also nonsense as far as I’m concerned, if the wider group of players need a 34 year old donkey, whom they’ve had to carry for most of the game, to give them a lift because they’re having a bad game then I have a couple of questions, 1. What is the purpose of Gary Bloom if not to instil some mental toughness in our younger players, 2. Has anyone heard Mousinho speak... this guy oozes class and intelligence, I have no doubt he can do all of the above on the pitch

Also, the people that say oh you need to stop “picking” on Mackie, I, and I’m sure everyone else have no issues with the guy personally... he just cannot compete in the lone striker role and there is clearly better options from multiple different players at the club

I wondered how long before the Mackie bashing would start?!

He created chances and was close to scoring yesterday, including our first dangerous attempt on goal which he created himself that their keeper made a very good save from. He led the line well considering it was a PL defence and their team was set up defensively to play on the break.

Did you notice who was picking up the other players mentally when we went 2 down? It was Mackie getting them going, talking to others individually and as a group. This is exactly what a leader does.

You really do undermine your own argument by calling him a donkey by the way especially when he has led the line many times in our long unbeaten run not that long ago.

I thought their best players were the keeper and the chap who scored the winner. Apart from that I wasn't hugely impressed.
I don't think we can start a game with Mackie any longer. Agyei made far more impression in the time he was on the pitch (even though the was playing wide rather than centrally, so its a bit of an apples and oranges comparison) - If Taylor can't start, then IMO it has to be Agyei. Mackie is OK as a late sub to hassle a tiring defence, but (as I think we can all see) despite his work rate and enthusiasm, he simply isn't a starter.
I thought it was a pretty enjoyable night - the Geordies showed the Man City crowd how to make a noise, we played our part, the end of normal time was great and I think we were a little unlucky not to take it to penalties - although you can't argue with the quality of the winning goal.
Back to reality on Saturday, trying to squeeze our legs into the tiny gap between the wooden seats at Peterborough, but I was proud of the club, players and supporters last night. Thanks everyone!

I wondered how long before the Mackie bashing would start?!

He created chances and was close to scoring yesterday, including our first dangerous attempt on goal which he created himself that their keeper made a very good save from. He led the line well considering it was a PL defence and their team was set up defensively to play on the break.

Did you notice who was picking up the other players mentally when we went 2 down? It was Mackie getting them going, talking to others individually and as a group. This is exactly what a leader does.

You really do undermine your own argument by calling him a donkey by the way especially when he has led the line many times in our long unbeaten run not that long ago.
Mackie does not deserve to start games based on recent performances... We'll agree to disagree on that point I think

The BBC fawning over how great the Newcastle support does make me laugh, the majority of them live down south or certainly not in Newcastle!
Indeed there were no geordies with thier shirts off in the away section, all been living in the south too long? Not used to the cold anymore, bunch of southern (living) softies ! ?..... except perhaps the one who did a whyte style widmill celebration :oops:

I’m sorry but there is no way I’m going to criticise KR. The guys work ethic is unrivalled and some of our performances this season have been out of this league.

I didn’t think we would find another Manager to compare with Appleton, but in KR, I think we might well have.

KR knows we need another option up front. Unfortunately the Board didn’t want to rise to the challenge he set them in January. Whether that means he goes sooner rather than later is to be seen. I hope not.

Agyei looks a good prospect. However it was clear from his goal mouth indecision in extra time, that he isn’t the solution right now. Taylor is coming back from injury so time limited.

Browne looked good up front on Saturday and might well have started there last night. Unfortunately our wing options were limited with Henry having a relapse and the Board selling our other winger, after we had loaned out Hall!

That leaves Mackie.

Tbf to Agyei on that chance, it wasn't indecision as his path to the goal was blocked by some canny defending/blocks.

Mackie does not deserve to start games based on recent performances... We'll agree to disagree on that point I think
I actually thought Mackie was more effective last night than many times recently, but based on a run of recent performances (and how Agyei played when he came on) I'd start the latter in preference.

Last edited:
Indeed there were no geordies with thier shirts off in the away section, all been living in the south too long? Not used to the cold anymore, bunch of southern (living) softies ! ?..... except perhaps the one who did a whyte style widmill celebration :oops:
I did spot one sunbathing in the north stand swinging his shirt around :ROFLMAO:

Just had a look at the match stats on the BBC website:

Possession was 50/50, we had more shots (although they edged on 'on target' ones by a couple), we had more corners and they (despite a friendly ref) committed more fouls. Pretty impressive...

With Agyei impressing (again) in his cameo appearance, i hope he gets some starts or at least 30min off the bench in the coming 18 games..... but for scummer richie body blocking Agyie's 1st half of extra time close range effort, wedve gone 3-2 up , then, who knows?

Potential song for Agyei could be an adaptation of the old london road oggie oggie oggie chant ? :unsure:

Agyei Agyei Agyei- Oi! Oi! Oi!
Agyei -Oi!
Agyei-Oi!
Agyei Agyei Agyei - Oi! Oi! Oi!

Simple & inclusive:sneaky:

Can't be that serious considering he was walking around the pitch at the end with the other players without any difficulty.
Browne isnt injured (nor are Gorrin or Brannagan), they were substituted with saturdays game in mind according to KR in his rad ox post match interview

What a proud night for our football club in front of millions of viewers across the country. I am shocked at the negative views of some on this forum, picking out individual players for criticism. we went toe to toe with a premiere team and were very unlucky not to go through.
we did that as a team where everyone played their part, management, all players and fans. Looking forward to Peterborough already.

COYY

Immensely proud of the players, the club & all of our brilliant fans last night. We certainly served up a treat for the TV audience which will have put us high on the list for future coverage.
Jamie Mackie has had a fantastic playing career & is a top bloke & motivator - but ...

Seemed a bit sulky to me last night. Not like Saturday. Remember him being like it last year in some games.
Browne didn't really want to go off last night despite the bit of cramp he got beforehand. I never mind that, even if it is for the longer term good - except if a player is actually injured and making it worse of course.

Back
Top Bottom