New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

You think the bridge will cost £20-30Mil? What are they building it out of? The Milennium Bridge across The Thames in London didn't cost that.
Perhaps but it won’t be cheap. Yellow & Blue bridge to signify the entrance to our stadium complex would be my choice but expect it would be grey 🤣. Looking at the cost of the millennium bridge being £18.2m to build. I’d imagine it would be about £10m then. Still a significant extra cost that they will have to fund directly. We still don’t really know how it intends to be funded properly either really. Just ‘through the markets’ is what we were told.

Your fear is misguided. No way do the board spend millions to get to this stage and commit to another £100m on top, for it to come down to the blinkered views of a couple of local councillors.

Sadly it's the blinkered councillors who'll make the decisions regardless of how much the owners are or aren't willing to spend.

Kudos to Cllr Miller who paid us expert lip service only to then invent the road closure non-negotiable red line knowing building a bridge was a non-negotiable for OUFC. That's why he's the CEO of Oxford University's school of government I guess.

I was on the bus to Kidlington , yesterday when we got the triangle/ roundabout. With all the road works, I heard a conversation about the stadium & the first thing they mentioned is the road closures on match day. Saying it would be chaos. Not trying to be funny, but this bridge, tunnel , road closure ,traffic is a big concern to a lot of locals. Not Fosb , but locals...
More houses will be much worse.

You think the bridge will cost £20-30Mil? What are they building it out of? The Milennium Bridge across The Thames in London didn't cost that.
East West Rail built a bridge near where I live to cross the new railway line. It was built for 2 lanes of traffic. It was only built so the farmer could access his land again after a level crossing was removed. The farmer told me it cost EWR £7m. Ironically they offered a derisory amount of compensation to buy out his direct access rights and ended up spending millions.
That bridge is a proper road bridge, surely that mecanno looking one at Coventry, that spans 6 lanes of traffic, wouldn’t be anywhere near that cost?
I’m not a civil engineer though!

Frieze way is pretty quiet, but with the crossing being closed, will increase traffic along there and by the airport.
The carriageway from Kidlington towards peartree is very uneven and like driving on a potato field.
There’s enough space either side and between both carriages, to readjust the 2 lanes in both directions and incorporate a pedestrian/emergency broadway along the length of frieze way.

Frieze way is pretty quiet, but with the crossing being closed, will increase traffic along there and by the airport.
The carriageway from Kidlington towards peartree is very uneven and like driving on a potato field.
There’s enough space either side and between both carriages, to readjust the 2 lanes in both directions and incorporate a pedestrian/emergency broadway along the length of frieze way.
Frieze Way is also 40 MPH and Oxford Road is 30 MPH. I know which road I would rather use regardless of a road closure!

I perfectly get genuine local concerns about the road being closed, especially with fosb‘s rather predictable fear-mongering campaign.

However once the system is in place, the road will only be closed for about 20/30 minutes, approximately 25 times a year. It’s not as if there isn’t another quick and easy route into Oxford via the Frieze Way dual carriage, which will add about 5 minutes or less to your journey.

The situation is hardly unique, several other grounds and sporting events around the country employ a road closure scheme for a short period of time. It’s pretty common practice these days.

By the way, Frieze Way must be the most underused stretch of dual carriage way in the county.

People will very soon adjust and get used to it. They’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

The funny thing is when you ask some of the most vociferous voices against the road closure ‘when did you last drive on Frieze Way between 2-3pm and/or 5-6pm on a Saturday?’, it’s surprising how quiet most of them become.

The funny thing is when you ask some of the most vociferous voices against the road closure ‘when did you last drive on Frieze Way between 2-3pm and/or 5-6pm on a Saturday?’, it’s surprising how quiet most of them become.
That’s because they use Oxford Road 😉

Can you really compare a road closure for a very small amount of time to roadworks that are ongoing 24/7? By me work on a stretch of the nearby M3 (actually fixing a bridge) has led to the a30 near my house getting clogged up as people use it as alternative route, that same stretch of the a30 has a turning shut off at rush hours and normally flows much better for it, road works cause more chaos than everyday/routine brief, planned, closures/diversions as people know what to do and have a different route.

Can you really compare a road closure for a very small amount of time to roadworks that are ongoing 24/7? By me work on a stretch of the nearby M3 (actually fixing a bridge) has led to the a30 near my house getting clogged up as people use it as alternative route, that same stretch of the a30 has a turning shut off at rush hours and normally flows much better for it, road works cause more chaos than everyday/routine brief, planned, closures/diversions as people know what to do and have a different route.
When you compare the Oxford Road closure to what you've just described there, it's so miniscule it's untrue. I just don't understand* why people cannot use Frieze Way? It's a dual carriageway with a higher speed limit as well!

(*Well I do understand, it's the sticking point the opposition are using to stop the stadium)

Back
Top Bottom