Home Match Day Thread 14/8/2021 - L1: OUFC v Charlton Athletic

A quote from the Addicks March thread

Sean Clare still dishing out the fouls. Has he won a clean tackle?

I couldn't go today, but sounded really good on radox. Charlton sung songs more often but did so at random times... they sounded a bit tinpot to me. Oxford fans were superb though and really lifted the players when it was needed. The noise and positivity around the stadium was very audible. Pretty cultured stuff all round in my opinion.

Also, just from listening in and watching the highlights, we looked athletic and supercharged in comparison to last season. Whyte and Williams look so rapid. Early signs are good.

Oh dear.
Sykes is also a pro and should have the ability to cross it in the right place. Fine margins though eh?!
[/QUOTE

I know Sykes isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but he’s going to be a real asset this season.
Have mentioned something earlier about the quality of professional players,
Watch the clip, give and go.
Winnall will be disappointed he didn’t do better

Also, and I'm not blaming him, but if Sykes had a decent left foot he absolutely buries that himself. Just seen the highlights, and it's a fantastic run and his touch takes him inside the centre back (very similar to the position Henry found himself in at Wembley) But he takes it back away from goal and smashes the ball across. I think Winnall should have still scored, but the pass could have been very much kinder.

The more I watch it, can only say Winnall should of done better.
He’s planted the keeper on the near post and cut the ball across for a tap in,

I care that Winnall gets credit where it’s due and his performance today was worthy of credit.

Nobody’s criticising his overall performance, but can guarantee he’ll look back on that as one that got away

We can’t be blaming the pass chaps… Come on. Everyone in the stand knew that pass was coming and would hurl their full weight at that ball. He got his technique wrong and misread the situation.

If the pass was to blame, you’re suggesting Matty Taylor would also have a hard time putting that away. Ridiculous.

FWIW - Winnall deserved to score for his performance and maybe with a bit more match sharpness he reads that better. If that game had ended 0-0 you’d all be saying something totally different!
Sykes seemed to change his mind at the last second as it looked like he was going to shoot, but then over cooked the pass as he snatched at it. Don’t blame Winnall at all.

I see ‘hysteria’ is the latest completely OTT word to make its way onto the forum hot list.

May I request that people make a concerted effort to use the word ‘mirthful’ a little more often? It would be good to spice things up a bit and inject a bit more positivity into things.

Good performance. Few things I noted:

McNally I thought did really well considering he has come from the Irish League, League One must be quite a big step up. We were blessed to have centre-backs as good as Atkinson and Dickie (who scored again today, he is destined for the Premier League), maybe we will have to be patient with him but it looks like the potential is there.

I like Ryan Williams attitude, he has that ultra-competitive edge to him we have sometimes lacked in previous seasons, but have come up against many different teams who have it in abundance and struggled. It's a different kind of edge to Matty Taylor style Housery. He is also a top footballer at this level.

Winnall has no excuse for not finishing the Sykes cross. It must have been a cross because I think Sykes would be the first to admit he can't shoot. I can only recall seeing him score one goal for us and it was the total fluke at Wembley. I also thought Winnall ought to have done better with his header opportunity. A quality player in his day but I do wonder if he is past it, Dan Agyei is criminally underused.

Seddon looked good, again.

Jack Stevens produced a top, top save in the first half. If his distribution improves he is destined for a higher level.

The stadium is a sh!thole. I've always thought of it like that in a way, an out-of-town, identikit, miserable sh!ithole. But failing to provide the basics for fans even though my expecations of that stadium are extremely low is bad. How I would love a stadium closer to Oxford which really felt like home, not that cursed hellhole with the legacy of Kashscam. Now the Ultras have wound down there really is no redeeming qualities to the place, not even a splash of colour.

Reasons to be positive with what we are seeing on the pitch so far. A win against Crewe and perhaps it's all aboard the positivity bus.

"even Henry" - shocking how one of our talismanic players gets treated with so little respect - like he has been so lightweight over more than 150 performances - total lack of respect
Whether he’s “talismanic” or not, he has never been one to hold players off the ball, lean his shoulder into the challenge or bump the player on the ball. Today he did all of those things. I think that’s a good thing not a lack of respect.

We can’t be blaming the pass chaps… Come on. Everyone in the stand knew that pass was coming and would hurl their full weight at that ball. He got his technique wrong and misread the situation.

If the pass was to blame, you’re suggesting Matty Taylor would also have a hard time putting that away. Ridiculous.

FWIW - Winnall deserved to score for his performance and maybe with a bit more match sharpness he reads that better. If that game had ended 0-0 you’d all be saying something totally different!

Was it last season - or the one before - when Taylor went about 10 games without a goal and was missing tap ins like that on a weekly basis. Winnall at least got there (almost), unlike the one late on that Holland slid across the six yard box waiting to be tapped home. We should encourage Winnall because he could be lethal at this level once up to speed and properly fit. We created some great chances today and that’s with Whyte not at his best, Taylor and Winnall could fill their boots this season.

I was pretty surprised at the hysteria when Clare left.
He was outclassed today.
Me too. I saw absolutely nothing from Clare, apart from a decent half hour at Plymouth, to suggest he was anything other than a really poor signing. Totally over run today and if it’s true about the fee we got for him, that looks one of the best bits of business we’ve done in years.

Back
Top Bottom