Home Match Day Thread 19/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Shrewsbury Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view of the game...
First half was very slow, we lacked creativity and confidence to beat a man. I imagine the instructions to keep it tight at the back played a part in that. It looked like a certain 0-0.

Second half was the complete opposite. We moved it around well and opened up their back line on numerous occasions. Some really good work rate too from all over.

Defence due some credit tonight, I think the inclusion of Gorrin helped a lot.

Shrewsbury we're just dreadful, had a few good chances first half that were completely fluffed.

All in all a professional win, onwards to Burton. COYY

Overall a poor performance but 2 goals one a pass and one of cams crackers done the biz and 3 points. Don’t think it matters how we win as long as we get the 3 points.
A much difficult this Saturday so all hands to the pump this Saturday. Do worry about our full backs not on song hope they improve.
What have Cardiff done to Gav he’s not what we know hope he gets his mojo back.
Thought Cam was MOM with Sykes a close 2nd.

I'm normally very positive but that was s**t, despite the result.
Shrewsbury were awful. As others have said, I haven't seen anything to convince me that we could finish any higher than where we are now. If we want anything out of this season we have a lot to improve.

Edit: The bit in bold is actually not true now I've had time to reflect on it.

Last edited:
They were shite, first half was shite, second half we were by far the better team and deserved the 3 points.

Would put money on them going down if I had any to spare, not much ability and not much fight from tonight’s showing, easily the worst team I have seen us play so far.
Yes they didn’t look bothered at all did they? Not one of their players stood out at all.

Shrewsbury were comfortably the worst team we’ve seen at the Kas since West Hsm two years ago.

Deserve a medal for aqua planing up and down the M40 to watch that.

Sykesy Gorrin and Moore got stuck in at least.

And the SSU banter was good.

We won. The end.

A stodgy fixture really - doesn’t take a genius to work out the Shrewsbury plan for the evening and the conditions played right in to their hands but I thought we did just fine. No major excitement but equally no major disasters either.

It is still early and if I were a Plymouth fan or a Donny fan on their respective forums I’d say exactly the same. We are moving in to territory where we can begin to assess our chances but it is still precarious given a run of 3 wins or losses (which is only a week!) can still completely transform the start you’ve made to the season - just ask Portsmouth, for example.

As the table takes shape, suddenly some of our more underwhelming results don’t seem quite so shambolic as some made out but equally some of our wins don’t look quite so impressive - but they needed winning. I’d have taken 8th after 12 games, a point off the play offs. No shame in that at all and I still think some have a distorted view of where the club should be in relation to what we are competing with. Nothing is beyond us yet despite some appearing to write us off already. We just need some momentum from somewhere.

Improvement needed, yes, but the table doesn’t lie so we’re ticking along nicely at the moment. On to the next.

What does the club need to do, in order to re-engage the casual fans?
Move away from this absolute shite box of a ‘stadium’ and make match days more of an experience. Kids for a quid and other incentives to attract a younger fan base. There is a lot that can be done, but why bother when quite literally no one likes our stadium. I think the club know this, and are treading water until we can announce significant progress with the move.

Great result, and a great 2nd half performance from Sykes.

But lots to work on, all over the pitch.

Gorrin made a difference tonight.

We also need to pass the ball simpler and quicker at times rather than trying any trickery/holding onto the ball longer than necessary. (A lot of players are guilty of this, Sykes inc) Obviously if a player genuinely can have more time on the ball then it’s fine to hold onto it, but if that’s not the case then they need to move the ball quicker, thus giving the receiving player more time to give a decent onward ball/pass etc which hopefully then leads to opening up the opposition/scoring goals etc.

Last edited:
It’s funny, first half Shrewsbury looked to me what other fans have probably said about us at times this season, know how to keep the ball around the back and midfield, and generally look tidy, but seem to be completely clueless as soon as they get within 25 yards of the opposition goal

As others have said, an uninspiring first half followed by a little more urgency in the second. Pleased Sykes got MoM, tried to make things happen and wasn’t afraid to do his defensive work either

I'm normally very positive but that was s**t, despite the result.
Shrewsbury were awful. As others have said, I haven't seen anything to convince me that we could finish any higher than where we are now. If we want anything out of this season we have a lot to improve.

Edit: The bit in bold is actually not true now I've had time to reflect on it.

Do you really think L1 footballers can produce blistering performances week in and week out ? They’re in that league for a reason. I honestly don’t know what people expect, that was a solid enough, standard 2-0 home win. We weren’t at our very best but didn't need to be, the main thing is we were in complete control and comfortably saw the game out. Teams everywhere who are successful have a whole load of those type of performance throughout a season.

A great three points and good response from Saturday.

FCF4yqyX0AMcfhl

Do you really think L1 footballers can produce blistering performances week in and week out ? They’re in that league for a reason. I honestly don’t know what people expect, that was a solid enough, standard 2-0 home win. We weren’t at our very best but didn't need to be, the main thing is we were in complete control and comfortably saw the game out. Teams everywhere who are successful have a whole load of those type of performance throughout a season.

A great three points and good response from Saturday.
Absolutely. That's why those players are in L1. We did a good job and were generally in control. BTW, I didn't think Shrewsbury were that bad. Well organised, and I've seen worse

The turgid first half was characterised by our passing sideways and backwards; the immediate thought for our midfielders when they got the ball was to to turn back towards our goal. Slowly.
Second half we started moving the ball more quickly, forward passes through the gaping holes in midfield that were there in the first half but we just didn’t seem brave enough to exploit. We started creating chances after three or four forward passes and dominated the game.
Shrewsbury weren’t that bad, they tried to create chances and but for some better finishing, could have pushed us more than they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom