Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting who has been left out of squads today. Marriott (was subbed at HT on Tuesday), Longman

Last edited:
The only potential advantage to a club looking for a loan is that they aren’t committed to keeping the player for multiple years on a high wage while he’s in his thirties. If you loan him and he gets you up, he was worth every penny. If he doesn’t, you can cut your losses and walk away without being lumbered with his wages for another year or two. It’s a risk and potentially a very expensive one, but it does happen. We paid £250,000 in wages plus a six-figure loan fee for Joseph just last season. Kane cost us half a million for a season the year before. I’m not saying I would do it, I’m saying it does happen.

As far as Peterborough are concerned the fee is the fee and he’s off their wage bill forever regardless, because his contract expires next summer. It’s no skin off their nose if someone pays them 500k to loan him or sign him permanently. The value is the same to them in either case - he goes and never comes back.

As for Rovers, they have got a new Kuwaiti owner as of two weeks ago who is splashing the cash.
Maybe that's what I'm thinking, a relative bargain could be available on a permanent if we can hold our nerve and Bristol don't have the cash to splash.

Left-back options of Brown and Johnson would be brilliant, also balances that position for different games which Manning would like. Marriott or JCH would be great but I think we are more likely to sign someone like Armstrong from Harrogate who is a very decent forward also. We may also need another winger now with Browne possibly injured (though we did anyway to be fair).

Also, Stevens has often been used as a winger when coming on I believe (based on subs as I have missed the last couple games), wonder if we may look at another RB option if one becomes available (Tennai Watson (?)). If Murphy isn't in the Charlton squad and Browne is injured then surely he is set to go, unless he leaves this week.

Not that we necessarily need another CM/CDM, but I'd still love to see Gorrin re-sign, he is an excellent player when fit and also has a great personality and behaviours as highlighted by Manning in interviews. Gatlin should also be staying as he is developing rapidly every game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom