Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say Perkins is a total unknown, yet you’re already writing him off. Highly doubt Manning would’ve loaned in a striker who “hasn’t yet learned where the net is”
I absolutely agree another striker is a position we need, but at this point to me it isn’t paramount to our success this year. And should Perkins fall flat on their face or an injury comes up we always have January, plus any free agents between windows

So Edwards sounds very much like a very good super sub at bare minimum from Ipswich fans with the potential of much more if he can start ironing out his end product. 7.5/10 on paper but let’s hope it can be so much more
When we say end product, I assume we are talking about final pass/decision making?

So 15 from Harris. O’Donkor is something like 1 in 15 and Perkins a total unknown. Nowhere near enough for a team pushing for promotion. Say Harris picks up an injury, it’s either a square peg in a round hole or kids who haven’t yet learnt where the net is. A striker is an absolute necessity - a Marriott, Ladapo, Clarke-Harris, Eisa type.
Perkins is the key here. Harris has started well and suits the system perfectly. We know where Gatlin is in his development. Perkins is the unknown.

I’ve no idea if he’s an out and out 9 ready to hit double figures or still a work in progress who’ll get minutes across the front 3 as the season goes on. We’d all feel more comfortable with another striker today but it may or may not be essential.

You say Perkins is a total unknown, yet you’re already writing him off. Highly doubt Manning would’ve loaned in a striker who “hasn’t yet learned where the net is”

If he’s not an unknown what do you know about him ? His wiki page says 2 appearances, no goals - to me that’s an unknown but I’ll bow to your better knowledge of him. Do you think we could rely on him to bang in the goals as much as the other 4 I mentioned ? I don’t.

If he’s not an unknown what do you know about him ? His wiki page says 2 appearances, no goals - to me that’s an unknown but I’ll bow to your better knowledge of him. Do you think we could rely on him to bang in the goals as much as the other 4 I mentioned ? I don’t.
He has a couple of cup goals I believe Wiki only shows league Apps

I don’t know too much about him, which is why I’m not writing him off before he’s kicked a ball for us. I do however, trust Ed Waldron and Liam Mannings judgement over Dick Walton’s from the YF though.

Anyone would think reading this that we have a major goal scoring problem to solve.

We’ve scored 8 in 5 very tricky league games. Our first choice striker has 3 of those including match-winners in 2 of our 4 wins and Perkins hasn’t even played for us yet!

I think it’s far more important that we continue to recruit people that fit the current team ethic and style of play than it is to find someone who simply has a goal scoring record.

If we find a striker that religiously scored goals but our press dies a death, what’s the point? We’ll be less effective.

I won’t be in any way disappointed if we get a striker but if it’s just Edwards for now then I can’t see any justification for throwing eggs at Manning and Waldron. What they’ve done is remarkable. If we end up one ‘short’, it’ll be for good reason, they’ve left no stone unturned.

That's only if you don't include other appearances. He's scored for Leeds in the Fa Cup against Cardiff and has played in Europe for West Ham and has a better than 1 in 2 record goal record for England at youth levels.

He's still unproven at senior level and I'd like another striker to come in but I'm not sure lying to make your point is a particularly effective strategy. The stats with Harris are misleading as well as he was making regular sub appearances on the wing for a struggling Championship team when he was 20 which isn't at all comparable to starting games regularly for a good League 1 team when he's 24 and more experienced.

Out of the names mentioned I'd love Ladapo here but suspect it's unlikely. If we do sign another striker then I'd expect GOD to get a loan so he can polish up his overall game and goalscoring rather than standing in the corner pushing people about for 10 minutes which is completely different to leading the line when you're actively trying to score.

Also Harris' style is key to how we play. If we sign another striker who's just a goalscorer, think Taylor from a couple of years ago, it'll take away from how we play and they won't get as many chances anyway. You want them to score of course but they need to be able to contribute to our pressing and counter attacking game, a guy staying between the width of the posts and only looking to run onto through balls isn't going to be effective for us.

Agree. I think even if we don't sign anyone more it's been a hell of a transfer window which has surely by far exceeded all of our expectations given where the squad was at the end of last season.
I think Edwards is very likely if you’re worried about no one

Thought I’d give my views on Kyle Edwards as a Town fan.

In short, it’s a really solid signing. It’s a shame it never worked out for us but he’s shown some great glimpses of talent, is a really good runner and a decent option to bring off the bench to get the crowd going. He’s much better at protecting his full back than he gets credit for too.

End product is definitely an issue though. At 25, he’s not exactly a youngster anymore but he hasn’t been a first team regular anywhere in about 4 or 5 years and that might change if he gets a run in the team.

By all accounts he’s a great person to have around the place and apart from your other new signing Greg Leigh I don’t think I’ve seen a squad player as popular with fans as Edwards.

I think he’ll do well for you. It’s just a shame you’ve already played Cambridge this year because his two best games for us last season were against them. Completely ripped them to shreds both times.

But is he as good as Phil Edwards?

Well, each to their own. I say we need a striker and that Manning, who has overseen a brilliant window to date, would be almost doing a KR in terms of dereliction of duty if he failed to bring in a free scoring striker. It’s the one gaping hole that needs filing.

Well, each to their own. I say we need a striker and that Manning, who has overseen a brilliant window to date, would be almost doing a KR in terms of dereliction of duty if he failed to bring in a free scoring striker. It’s the one gaping hole that needs filing.
Well that's clearly B*****s isn't it? Only having 3 strikers for 1 position isn't quite on the same level as having 1.5 full backs for 2 positions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom