Transfer News Summer Transfer Window 23/24 Build up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Smith is a big NO for me. Being told to apologise doesn’t change his character.

Matty Taylor walked away after shaking hands on a deal, and took the P**s out of the club at times before returning.

Sam Smith celebrated a goal against us in a way that wouldn't have got much of a mention had it not been Joeys game where emotions were high. It was a bad judgement, and one that he probably regrets.

If he signed and scored 20+ goals next season, it would all be forgotten.

Matty Taylor walked away after shaking hands on a deal, and took the P**s out of the club at times before returning.

Sam Smith celebrated a goal against us in a way that wouldn't have got much of a mention had it not been Joeys game where emotions were high. It was a bad judgement, and one that he probably regrets.

Haven't forgotten how terrible he was here first time round though

I‘d definitely, 100%, take Smith back here. He’s developed into a proper, all round footballer. I don’t really have a problem with how he celebrated either. Football is intense, it’s competitive and I‘d excuse any scorer of a goal that moment where they lose themselves in the sheer joy of it - especially given he was getting a bit of stick from the fans. Why shouldn’t he give two fingers back to us ? Like any fans, if you can‘t take it don’t dish it out. He cannot be expected to be as emotionally involved as we were that day and in my opinion had nothing to really apologise for. That’s like saying that if us Oxford fans were in a similar situation away at Cambridge we’d contain our excitement and dampen down our celebrations just because Cambridge had chosen that day to honour a club legend who‘d died tragically, those days are for the home club and home fans.

I‘d definitely, 100%, take Smith back here. He’s developed into a proper, all round footballer. I don’t really have a problem with how he celebrated either. Football is intense, it’s competitive and I‘d excuse any scorer of a goal that moment where they lose themselves in the sheer joy of it - especially given he was getting a bit of stick from the fans. Why shouldn’t he give two fingers back to us ? Like any fans, if you can‘t take it don’t dish it out. He cannot be expected to be as emotionally involved as we were that day and in my opinion had nothing to really apologise for. That’s like saying that if us Oxford fans were in a similar situation away at Cambridge we’d contain our excitement and dampen down our celebrations just because Cambridge had chosen that day to honour a club legend who‘d died tragically, those days are for the home club and home fans.

What an utter load of s**t.

You don't have to be emotionally involved to respect other people's feelings. He was an utterly classless t**t.

People make mistakes and he apologised. Fair enough. Line under it.

What an utter load of s**t.

You don't have to be emotionally involved to respect other people's feelings. He was an utterly classless t**t.

People make mistakes and he apologised. Fair enough. Line under it.

I think that’s nonsense. I’m not really sure the point you’re making, should the Cambridge fans have muted their celebrations too out of respect ? Should we, Oxford fans, have marked Goidrhams late goal with a more solemn and respectful reaction ? It seems to me you want the actual scorer of a goal to read the room and mark his goal with respect but the rest of us can go mental in celebration ?

I think that’s nonsense. I’m not really sure the point you’re making, should the Cambridge fans have muted their celebrations too out of respect ? Should we, Oxford fans, have marked Goidrhams late goal with a more solemn and respectful reaction ? It seems to me you want the actual scorer of a goal to read the room and mark his goal with respect but the rest of us can go mental in celebration ?
6mins between us paying tribute to our greatest and him running over blowing kisses at the Oxford fans. Celebrate away, but baiting the home fans at that point was ignorant and disrespectful.

He came out after and said it was a misjudgement, and that’s good enough for me but let’s not pretend waving your hands in the air and blowing kisses to a community mourning the loss of one of its own is remotely acceptable.

The point I'm making is that Smith acted like a dickhead. He over-celebrated in front of the Oxford fans, deliberately taunting them, on what was a very emotional day. Had he ran towards the Cambridge supporters, or even the centre circle, no-one would have thought a thing of it. It's not a complex point.

The Cambridge fans were excellent; they celebrated a goal as you would expect. They didn't taunt us with it.

It's not so binary as celebrations = good/bad (delete as appropriate)

But you already know that...

It wasn’t so much what he did it was more the fact that he did it a mere 10 or so minutes after the start of the match with the home crowd still pretty raw from the Joey tributes, it was pretty thoughtless. I don’t think his apology was too sincere either.

Anyway I think he’s off to the championship.

The point I'm making is that Smith acted like a dickhead. He over-celebrated in front of the Oxford fans, deliberately taunting them, on what was a very emotional day. Had he ran towards the Cambridge supporters, or even the centre circle, no-one would have thought a thing of it. It's not a complex point.

The Cambridge fans were excellent; they celebrated a goal as you would expect. They didn't taunt us with it.

It's not so binary as celebrations = good/bad (delete as appropriate)

But you already know that...

But Smith wasn't taunting us over the loss of a club legend, that would have been utterly classless and inexcusable. The Oxford fans had definitely booed him prior to him scoring, absolutely no doubt about that. He was pretty much booed from his first touch so I don't blame him one bit for giving us some back. If Oxford fans want him to act with class then show some class themselves by not resorting to booing an ex player minutes after the tributes for Joey Beauchamp. It works both ways.

But Smith wasn't taunting us over the loss of a club legend, that would have been utterly classless and inexcusable. The Oxford fans had definitely booed him prior to him scoring, absolutely no doubt about that. He was pretty much booed from his first touch so I don't blame him one bit for giving us some back. If Oxford fans want him to act with class then show some class themselves by not resorting to booing an ex player minutes after the tributes for Joey Beauchamp. It works both ways.
No one was booing Sam Smith until he celebrated like that. No one.

If you had a point, you wouldn't need to lie to make it.

No one was booing Sam Smith until he celebrated like that. No one.

If you had a point, you wouldn't need to lie to make it.
Oh yes they were, from his first touch. I heard it and recall thinking I don't blame him for his celebration. I boo players from time to time but don't go running to mummy when they give it back, it's part and parcel of it. Only big gob bullies can't take a smack in the chops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom