Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2022 L1: Plymouth Argyle v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgetting the was it /wasnt it offside , personally Thought our second half showing was absolutely abysmal. In a massive game where we needed something our urgency levels were shocking. We were so pedestrian and the constant "pass it across the back line then hoof it" was mind numbing. God knows what they were told at half time ?? And yet again, Sykes is no wingback, time and again his positional sense is wanting. Been said a million times, and personally still convinced, the lack of wing back provisions have hindered us massively this season. As for Plymouth, thought their two guys (attacking mids? ) were quality, so much more direct and dangerous.

Amazing scenes, when other teams are a point or 2 behind us its going to be tight, now we are "only" 1pt behind and some think we're gone....only on this forum eh.
It's more a case of when those teams were a couple of points behind us, they were playing, and still are playing like they aren't going to drop many points. With Oxford we are so inconsistent and drop points against teams we should be beating, meaning can we make up those same 1 or 2 points.
We were in a great position and blew it, and now we have must win games. On balance I don't think we will go up, due to the above reasons, and to not make the play offs would be almost unacceptable, as the asked for players were brought in.

Forgetting the was it /wasnt it offside , personally Thought our second half showing was absolutely abysmal. In a massive game where we needed something our urgency levels were shocking. We were so pedestrian and the constant "pass it across the back line then hoof it" was mind numbing. God knows what they were told at half time ?? And yet again, Sykes is no wingback, time and again his positional sense is wanting. Been said a million times, and personally still convinced, the lack of wing back provisions have hindered us massively this season. As for Plymouth, thought their two guys (attacking mids? ) were quality, so much more direct and dangerous.

Camara was one of their centre midfielders I think? I thought he was excellent for them and probably their MOM.

Though it infuriated me how easily he carved through our midfield in the second half! 😡

They have Troy Parrot on loan too from Spurs. Eisa and Twine were free transfers. They seem to have recruited very well and done their buisness early in the summer window rather than scrapping around deadline day.
I didn’t know they were freebies but they must still be forking out in wages.
And that says it all

Tough one today. If Moore doesn’t get ill, I think we play 4 at the back today. 5 at the back appears to have made us slightly more solid, but with baldock, we don’t have that same threat going forward. Nobody giving Taylor chances.

Until Baldock is back, 4-3-3 please! Still in our hands, two wins this week, 6/9, back in the playoffs, excellent week.

I’m not saying I’m happy we dropped out of play off places today, but sometimes it’s better to chase a team a few points ahead of you than looking over your shoulder trying to defend a points lead. Will certainly make us go all out to win the next 2 games

Just got home and a couple
of observations to chew over and spit out at the nearest wall.

I thought today regardless of the penalty shout and the glaring miss I thought we were disjointed and was no where near it today (Chris Wilder style) and to me this is of concern. Not for this coming Tuesday as this will sort itself but the concern is if we do snuck into the play offs and come up against any of the sides who are now lying in our bed - I'm really not sure if we have quite the right artillery or dark arts now to compete fully over the two play off legs. I really do hope I'm wrong.

However, and this cheered me up no end was the effort in speaking to a fellow yellow in the pub who said to me that he'd be happy to stay in league 1 for another few seasons and for this I now feel
honoured that I have experienced such an ambitious geezer that I have come home and cut off all my fingers and toes forthwith and then decided it would've probably been somewhat easier and less painful if I had just cut up my remaining season ticket card instead fwiw.

Nevertheless, to that geezer can I be the first to wish you a happy Easter and I hope you come a distant second from last in the forthcoming Easter egg hunt at millets farm Ffs.

Ffs COYY'S - see you all at sunny Morecambe!

Poor substitutions from Robbo, to take off McGuane, put on Winnall and Holland, who are both absolute shite, and a half fit Henry, and then have Sykes and Whyte as wingbacks, was mental, and lost us the game.

Should've put Mous and Forde on, and then changed formation to either:

Eastwood
Forde McNally Mous Long
Sykes Kane McGuane
Whyte Taylor Bodin

OR

Eastwood
Forde McNally Mous Long
Kane
Sykes McGuane Whyte
Taylor Bodin
A switch to either of those formations, would've freed up Sykes and Whyte to attack, and we could've had a real go in the second half, and would've had a good chance to win the game, but instead, he put Winnall on, and took a WINGER who was already playing out of position as a STRIKER, and played him at WINGBACK ???

Poor substitutions, and a complete lack of tactical flexibility cost us today, and Robbo needs to shoulder the blame for that.

WISE UP, or we ain't going up.
You should be manager!!

Couldn’t agree more regarding Mous & Forde.
Why, having extended his contract, is Forde not starting ?
It was just his over confident manner that seemed comical.

I’m a fan of Forde, don’t know why we don’t see more of him. I didn’t see the game though.

It was just his over confident manner that seemed comical.

I’m a fan of Forde, don’t know why we don’t see more of him. I didn’t see the game though.
What over confident manner?

I'm always very supportive of Robbo and the team when things go well, but today didn't go well, and I was simply explaining where I think things went wrong, and what I think should've been done instead.

Yes I think Robbo made a number of incorrect calls today, that ultimately cost us the game, but at no point have I suggested I could do a better job as manager, but manager's do make mistakes sometimes with their team selections, tactics and formations, and I'm entitled to voice my opinions, right or wrong.

What over confident manner?

I'm always very supportive of Robbo and the team when things go well, but today didn't go well, and I was simply explaining where I think things went wrong, and what I think should've been done instead.

Yes I think Robbo made a number of incorrect calls today, that ultimately cost us the game, but at no point have I suggested I could do a better job as manager, but manager's do make mistakes sometimes with their team selections, tactics and formations, and I'm entitled to voice my opinions, right or wrong.
What you say may be right of course. If I was manager then when Moore was back I’d bring in Forde and put Sam at left back, if Seddon isn’t trusted.

KR’s post match interview on radio Oxford is a massive ‘let’s deflect from my mistakes’ interview.

Big 6 games coming up.

Massive failure to not secure top 6 from where we’ve been/are.

You just cant lose a game anymore without managers and players being blamed.

Michael Owen-esque insight 😂😂

You never could, just like you can’t win a game without managers and players being praised. Funny how that works!

Michael Owen-esque insight 😂😂

You never could, just like you can’t win a game without managers and players being praised. Funny how that works!
im talking about the lack of constructive criticism. Funny how that doesnt work. We lost a 50/50 game with the other team having one shot on target but lets see what fucker is to blame for it.

Lack of goals isn't the problem - we're still top scorers in the division. Our defence has been middling all season though.

Sunderland will be looking at the table and thinking yeah If Oxford beat morcambe (IF) but that's ok because they will only be two points ahead of us but when we go to the kassam and beat them there play offs will be practically over
And if we beat them maybe KR should have the music on maybe he should let the players celebrate maybe we need to stop being so soft amd respectful maybe we need to say yeah f**k you Sunderland were Oxford United and we do what we want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom