Home Match Day Thread 30/04/2022 L1: OUFC v Doncaster

Yes, I think so. Even in some matches where we have been poor in one half, we have been OK in the other. Yesterday was under par from start to finish.

Accrington or Lincoln away probably tops it. But yeh at home that's the poorest since Blackpool last year.

The manager said we were poor after the game, and anyone who was there and claims we weren't is clearly on the wind up. Maybe, given the situation, it wasn't unexpected and there are perhaps reasons why it wasn't very good - but to maintain that it was anything other than a very disappointing display is ridiculous.

On the wind up or clueless.

Too bloody right - if he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him here!
That was said after the Wycombe game but others were saying different. It’s a shame as on his day he could be a useful player to have but now the ship has sailed he can go.

I'll be honest, I'm a little surprised about all the criticisms from yesterday.

Yes, we were poor. Yes, a bunch of our best players never really got going, and some of our fringe players failed to impress. So Golding was the only positive to come out of it.

But really - what do you expect?
It was a meaningless game, after three whole seasons of games that counted. It's inevitable that your intensity is going to drop off when you're playing in a game that doesn't matter. And you're not going to be able to make/break a reputation based on one meaningless game when you've already had 45 important ones to show what you can (and can't) do.

For players like Cam & Matty T who have nothing to prove - I don't blame them for a second for going through the motions. It's psychologically a really tough thing to lift yourself for a professional sporting contest when you know it's going to have zero impact on your personal or collective goals.

For players like Seddon & McGuane who are trying to show that they have something to offer - well, unfortunately yesterday was just more confirmation of what we already knew from watching them play all season i.e. that they are players with some merits but also pretty obvious weaknesses.

It was what it was - a poor performance, but one that can be forgotten (other than the fact that Golding can clearly play) as soon as the final whistle blew.

I think l am right in saying, if had beat Morecambe, drawn with Rotherham and beaten Doncaster today, we would still be a point short.

Yes, we were poor. Yes, a bunch of our best players never really got going, and some of our fringe players failed to impress. So Golding was the only positive to come out of it.

It was a meaningless game, after three whole seasons of games that counted. It's inevitable that your intensity is going to drop off when you're playing in a game that doesn't matter. And you're not going to be able to make/break a reputation based on one meaningless game when you've already had 45 important ones to show what you can (and can't) do.

For players like Cam & Matty T who have nothing to prove - I don't blame them for a second for going through the motions. It's psychologically a really tough thing to lift yourself for a professional sporting contest when you know it's going to have zero impact on your personal or collective goals.

For players like Seddon & McGuane who are trying to show that they have something to offer - well, unfortunately yesterday was just more confirmation of what we already knew from watching them play all season i.e. that they are players with some merits but also pretty obvious weaknesses.

It was what it was - a poor performance, but one that can be forgotten (other than the fact that Golding can clearly play) as soon as the final whistle blew.
Yes spot on , need to look to next season. We scored the must goals in the league ( Wigan joint) , letting them in the other end is the issue. And as you said some players do have obvious weaknesses.

I heard that we’ve retracted the contract for Sykes so if he doesn’t get another club he’s got nothing from us to fall back on, he must have really pissed robbo off.
Was criticised for wanting him out last week!

Spot on.

The game was what you’d expect from a game that had nothing riding on it. Both teams were on the beach but I can’t blame them!
The atmosphere was flat too and barely any songs were sung in the East stand. Again to be expected because there isn’t much reason for fans to get excited about. so if fans can’t get excited for this type of game you can’t blame the players for not being fully at it either.

I wouldn't say Doncaster were one of the worst teams in the league strange I know as they got relegated as alluded to up the page I think a couple more games and they might have stayed up
On yesterday performance as I mentioned on a couple if pages back some players were trying some were on the beach it was a dead rubber obviously would have been nice to see us win but it wouldn't change much

Doncaster were awful and are one of the worst teams in L1.

Pretty hard to argue against Doncaster being the second worst team in the league after they finished 23rd over 46 games.

Pretty hard to argue against Doncaster being the second worst team in the league after they finished 23rd over 46 games.
Actually their point against us raised them above Wimbledon to 22nd.

Back
Top Bottom