Away Match Day Thread 05/04/22 L1: Morecambe v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve never seen a more dominant 2-1 losing half!

McGuane, Holland and Sykes have all been brilliant. Morecambe can’t live with them at times. Energy, effort, skill.

Morecambe got lucky with the first goal, helped by the conditions. Kane was at fault for the second and has played around a bit too much at the back. Other negatives are Brown, while solid defensively, hasn’t offered much going forwards, and Gavin Whyte is snatching at chances again.

I hate following Oxford sometimes as we just have absolutely no luck. On another day that deflected shot goes into Jack Stevens’ arms and one of our many pinged balls across the box gets turned in by Matty Taylor.

We could easily win this with a bit of luck, but I can also see us fading in the second half, as we often seem to.

I'm going for another conceded just after HT, then three in reply to take it 4-3 and set us up for a storming run to the end of the season

I hate Gavin Whyte. I know very well that he is not a natural striker, but even Dan Agyei could handle these sitters in the last three matches.

• React
Reactions: QR
Struggling to find words for that half - Russian Roulette football from United.

We play all the football and then kill ourselves time and time again.

Poor defending costing us. First goal they pick the ball up on the edge of the box, we should have had someone sitting in there. Second goal Kane robbed, and he rolls round play acting. We need composure in the final third..

Wish I could agree with you Jolteon. We ain't 'ard enough. We are not big enough and (sadly) we are not good enough. I reckon I will never see my team in the Championship before I go upstairs!

Said it enough times throughout January and still stand by it. We'd be higher up the table if we'd have signed a proper defensive midfielder in January. We should have had 2 in pre-season (I'm not counting Hanson as one, absolute waste of a wage).

Asking players like Kane, Brannagan, Mcguane to drop back into deep defensive positions to break up play is a total waste of their abilities. They should have the freedom to create, dictate tempo and move the ball. We also don't have that Gorrin option to hold a lead or make ourselves harder to break down up against better sides.

Those were our 51st and 52nd league goals conceded this season, in the first half of our 41st game.
It's been four years since anyone got promoted from this division having conceded more than a goal a game.

If we don't make the playoffs, the inquisition as to why shouldn't take very long.

Still, all is not lost. There's still plenty of goals to be had out there if we can keep our heads.....Morecambe's defense is clearly utterly rubbish.

Then we just need to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot again for 45 minutes.....

I hate Gavin Whyte. I know very well that he is not a natural striker, but even Dan Agyei could handle these sitters in the last three matches.
Chance tonight was not easy. The goalie had closed the angle down on him.

If we could take our chances we wouldn't be needing a win tonight it's been the same case for a while now and I can't see us scoring in the second half its alot of Huff but no puff

He has had an awful season. He must have missed 7 or 8 decent chances.
Hope a couple go in off his shins second half

Whyte has been the opposite of Shodipo. All assists, major lack of goals.

Can think of big chances missed v
- Cambridge opening day (D 1-1)
- Bolton away (L2-1)
- Doncaster away (W2-1)
- Crewe away (W1-0)
- Plymouth away (L1-0)

We create chances but we just don't have the cutting edge to finish them off unless it's Taylor on the end of it. Not enough in that first half finishing wise to suggest we are going to turn this around second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom