Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/08/2021 L1 Cambridge United v OUFC +++

I agree, it's crazy.

He's looked so dangerous ever since coming back into the side last season, and offers such a goal threat, I simply don't understand why Robbo doesn't use him a lot more.

If I was Robbo, I'd be seriously considering building my whole front 5 around Agyei, he deserves to be given a proper chance with an extended run of games.

Im not sure I’d build a team around him. He should be getting the nod before Winnall though.

For me he deserves to be given a chance, and for whatever reason KR doesn’t even fancy him. If we can see it surely he can! It’s very disappointing!

I agree, it's crazy.

He's looked so dangerous ever since coming back into the side last season, and offers such a goal threat, I simply don't understand why Robbo doesn't use him a lot more.

If I was Robbo, I'd be seriously considering building my whole front 5 around Agyei, he deserves to be given a proper chance with an extended run of games.
Not sure I would go that far! However, if you take Matty Taylor off, why bring on a player who doesn't offer anything better? (Doesn't offer much at all, to be blunt about it) Far better, bring on Dan who changes the playing style, makes life difficult for defenders and allows the wings to function again. Williams, Bodin, Whyte and the overlapping Seddon and Forde today, were a joy to watch. Time and again they created attacks and threatened.

That was a really frustrating and disappointing performance and result.

We were solid if unspectacular for 80 minutes. Cambridge wouldn't have scored all afternoon if we hadn't gifted them a penalty, but at the same time our attacking threat was minimal. The goal was a really good bit of build up play and a decent cross and finish; it's a shame we didn't move it about like that more often.

On that showing I'm not entirely convinced by Whyte on the left - he's very one footed and I think his inclination to cut inside means the threat his pace offers is a bit wasted. I would've liked to see him up against their LB for a spell as he looked quite slow.

As others have said - I've no idea why Winnall was brought on ahead of Agyei. A really baffling decision.

Also, as others have said, we missed Gorrin in the middle today. The problem with Brannagan in the QB role is that he likes to follow his passes and get forward onto the edge of the box, and they caught us on the break a couple of times with our entire midfield nowhere to be seen.

The defence overall looked solid, but a slight concern for me is that both our CB's are quite slow, especially on the turn. I could see them struggling against a fast centre forward.

Last point from me - Bodin looked very skilful when he came on. I'm not 100% sure where he'll fit into the team but if Robinson can work that one out he could be a real asset.

I don't think you can take anything from the first few games of a season and on the face of it an away point is not a terrible start. I might just be saying that because I wasn't at the game, though.

What does frustrate me is learning that Karl hasn't changed his approach re Dan Agyei, despite him clearly being a better option than Winnal.

It was actually unforgivable last season. Now it's beyond a joke.

It was a waste of time having Agyei on the bench today, because KR already said before the game Taylor was coming off after an hour for Winnall.

Just puzzling! You make subs according to how the game flows. It was crying out for Agyei, and he would of caused issues, and maybe scored a goal.

While Winnall has a proven in the past he can score ie Barnsley, he’s not got the pace and power that Agyei has. I just think he will be given very limited opportunities, and will probably leave next summer. Massive shame!

It was a waste of time having Agyei on the bench today, because KR already said before the game Taylor was coming off after an hour for Winnall.

The main problem with that, for me, is that they are far too similar style of player. Taylor was getting barely any joy out of their defence and Winnall offers nothing different. At least Agyei can run behind/in the channels and stretch them a bit more. I really feel for the lad, a loan out might be best for him and his career.

Cambridge looked like Relegation candidates and we couldn't beat them. Two observations: the midfield of Brannagan, Henry and Sykes wasn't good enough to get us out of this league last year so is unlikely to do so this year when the competition have strengthened. And Thornley & Seddon need more practice at going forwards. It was still good to get to an away game though!
Do you think? I thought they looked useful going forwards. Ironside, Tracey and Hoolahan will cause a lot of teams trouble this year. And reasonably well organised and compact at the back. Still should have won though.

Call me a silly old sausage but getting proper football back feels like the big news that's worthy of celebration today. 1,428 yellows in attendance - absolutely fantastic stuff.

No team won or lost the league on the first game of the season, sounds like we were one individual mistake away from the 3 points today. Let's see where we are after 10 games before we worry too much.

Absolutely can't wait for my first game back, been far too long.

Do you think? I thought they looked useful going forwards. Ironside, Tracey and Hoolahan will cause a lot of teams trouble this year. And reasonably well organised and compact at the back. Still should have won though.
Wes Hoolahan was more creative at 39 than our whole midfield.

Call me a silly old sausage but getting proper football back feels like the big news that's worthy of celebration today. 1,428 yellows in attendance - absolutely fantastic stuff.

No team won or lost the league on the first game of the season, sounds like we were one individual mistake away from the 3 points today. Let's see where we are after 10 games before we worry too much.

Absolutely can't wait for my first game back, been far too long.
The first 'you're s**t - AAAAHHH' really made me smile

I wonder about Agyei’s future at OUFC
If Holland had been available today would he even have been on the bench?
Dan rarely came on as a centre forward last year, he was played on the wing, so with four wingers ahead of him his time will be limited unless we play with two strikers.
With only 3 subs allowed again Ithink he will be set out on loan.
This is a real disappointment because in games where we are pressed we need a fast striker who can outpace defenders when the outlet ball is played

Probably the worst time to play Cambridge. An away point is normally a good thing but I can’t help feeling disappointed after today’s game. On the balance of play, feel like we should have won. I’m sure Cambridge will be the happier. 1 shot on target…

Do me a favour… Are you serious

On that basis, if we win have we guaranteed auto promotion based on our 2 points per game average?.

But if we lose. That's 1 point from 2 games which is hardly a great start is it.

I wonder about Agyei’s future at OUFC
If Holland had been available today would he even have been on the bench?
Dan rarely came on as a centre forward last year, he was played on the wing, so with four wingers ahead of him his time will be limited unless we play with two strikers.
With only 3 subs allowed again Ithink he will be set out on loan.
This is a real disappointment because in games where we are pressed we need a fast striker who can outpace defenders when the outlet ball is played
I fear you may be right, it can't just be tactical, and I even wonder if there might be something personal in it.

It seems the best thing for Dan might be to get the hell away from Robbo, which would be a massive shame, as if Robbo could just see past his ego on this one, and give Dan the chance he deserves, then he could end up unleashing havoc on defenders this season, and increasing his value ten fold in the process!

We need a holding midfielder but actually have a great one in Gorrin already...
Ageyi not coming on at either RW or CF baffling to me . Pace and power give the lad a chance please .
No cover for either full back yet .
Too many RW not enough LW or other aforementioned positions.
We will get it right just an unbalanced squad and Robbo needs to be ruthless Cam Bran plays attacking midfield or drop him ( obvs prefer to leave Sykes or Henry out tbh)
The ingredients are there

That was a really frustrating and disappointing performance and result.

We were solid if unspectacular for 80 minutes. Cambridge wouldn't have scored all afternoon if we hadn't gifted them a penalty, but at the same time our attacking threat was minimal. The goal was a really good bit of build up play and a decent cross and finish; it's a shame we didn't move it about like that more often.

On that showing I'm not entirely convinced by Whyte on the left - he's very one footed and I think his inclination to cut inside means the threat his pace offers is a bit wasted. I would've liked to see him up against their LB for a spell as he looked quite slow.

As others have said - I've no idea why Winnall was brought on ahead of Agyei. A really baffling decision.

Also, as others have said, we missed Gorrin in the middle today. The problem with Brannagan in the QB role is that he likes to follow his passes and get forward onto the edge of the box, and they caught us on the break a couple of times with our entire midfield nowhere to be seen.

The defence overall looked solid, but a slight concern for me is that both our CB's are quite slow, especially on the turn. I could see them struggling against a fast centre forward.

Last point from me - Bodin looked very skilful when he came on. I'm not 100% sure where he'll fit into the team but if Robinson can work that one out he could be a real asset.
I agree, but with Robinson’s thinking, he can’t work out half the teams best position. Sorry but after just one game, I’m back to frustration at Robinson’s set up and tactics. You have to wonder just what some managers would get out of our squad.

Shame we didn’t lose!
It might have pleased some of you twats more!

We played well.
Away from home.
Scored.
Created numerous chances.
Should have had a pen.
limited them to one shot on target.
Got a point.
Dominated the game FFS.

... It’s gonna be a long season for some!!!🙈🙉

I agree, but with Robinson’s thinking, he can’t work out half the teams best position. Sorry but after just one game, I’m back to frustration at Robinson’s set up and tactics. You have to wonder just what some managers would get out of our squad.
That was a short honeymoon period

Back
Top Bottom