Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/08/2021 L1 Cambridge United v OUFC +++

I think we are a little bit frustrated at having the best attacking options for years , taking the lead at a perfect time , missing chances then making slightly odd decisions subs wise .
Decent performance but expecting more this season when in dominate position against weaker sides , its a very hard league this season and every point is vital .
COYY

I think we are a little bit frustrated at having the best attacking options for years , taking the lead at a perfect time , missing chances then making slightly odd decisions subs wise .
Decent performance but expecting more this season when in dominate position against weaker sides , its a very hard league this season and every point is vital .
COYY
I didn’t see or hear the game but it’s very common for a smaller team to rescue a point against a better one like that, esp at the start of the season. And we never make it easy for ourselves. I want to see Dan!!

Shame we didn’t lose!
It might have pleased some of you twats more!

We played well.
Away from home.
Scored.
Created numerous chances.
Should have had a pen.
limited them to one shot on target.
Got a point.
Dominated the game FFS.

... It’s gonna be a long season for some!!!🙈🙉
The problem is, you've just described the pattern of most of the games last season, when after such a horrible start to the season, and after getting ourselves back in contention, with even the automatic places within our grasp at one point, we dropped so many points, in games we should've won, and it cost us, and today was a carbon copy of many of those games, when we dropped points that we shouldn't have.

Yes, it's only one game, and nobody is panicking, but with so many options now at Robbo's disposal, for him to pick such a lineup, and leave players on the bench who should've started, or could've come on to win us the game, suggests that he hasn't learnt from last season's mistakes.

As has been said, the ingredients are there, and if Robbo could just remove his ego from the equation, stop trying to be so clever, and make sensible, logical decisions, including during the rest of the transfer window, then I truly believe we could really achieve something special this season.

90 minutes into the season and it's Agyei or bust??
f**k sake Scotchers, you know that's not what people are saying, but there is understandable concerns that with such an improved squad at his disposal, there seems to be absolutely zero change in his approach and tactics, and he's still clearly overlooking a player who has been screaming out to be given the chance that his performances have proved he deserves.

The problem is, you've just described the pattern of most of the games last season, when after such a horrible start to the season, and after getting ourselves back in contention, with even the automatic places within our grasp at one point, we dropped so many points, in games we should've won, and it cost us, and today was a carbon copy of many of those games, when we dropped points that we shouldn't have.

Yes, it's only one game, and nobody is panicking, but with so many options now at Robbo's disposal, for him to pick such a lineup, and leave players on the bench who should've started, or could've come on to win us the game, suggests that he hasn't learnt from last season's mistakes.

As has been said, the ingredients are there, and if Robbo could just remove his ego from the equation, stop trying to be so clever, and make sensible, logical decisions, including during the rest of the transfer window, then I truly believe we could really achieve something special this season.

Why are you so sure that Robbo's ego was responsible for squad selection?

He left out Long, Gorrin and McGuane who all missed the last 2 weeks of preseason due to isolating. So Forde at right back and Brannagan in the defensive midfield role and Sykes in central midfield makes sense. Henry joined the midfield 3 which gave us the same 3 that did so well in the last third of last season.

He left out Holland (and one other) because of a new period of isolation. So giving Williams the right wing position and playing Whyte on the left was perfectly logical. In fact he said as much in the week when he said that if Holland doesn't play then Whyte will come in, so hardly surprised.

With the subs, Bodin for Williams was fine, and Winnall for Taylor kept the system the same at a time when we were looking fairly comfortable. Yes, Dan could have been an option but Winnall was hardly radical.

So, I know it's hard to accept, but Robinson made the sensible, logical decisions that you wanted. Unfortunately, Sykes makes a rash challenge and we lose 2 points.

The desperation to blame the manager is ridiculous, especially 90 minutes into a season. As someone else said, it's going to be a very long season if you can't cope with an away draw!

Sorry I'm going to be negative, that was throwing away a great opportunity of a good start, the game was there to be put to bed and we done the opposite. Play like we did in the second half the rest of the season and we will be just above the relegation places.
It was a game we should have won, yes we let them back into the game, but if we can play like that with so much potential to come in, then after seeing the way we played today, we could be looking to challenge the top two.
The area we have to address is the defence. Ford is not a full back, and was caught out today on a number of occasions, but KR knows this all too well. We had a brief chinwag after the final whistle at the Gas, and he knows exactly what is needed.

On that showing we have just given a point and lost 2 to a relegation team. A point away from home is only good if you follow it up with good wins at home. Now Saturday against Charlton turns into a must not lose just because we didn't kill the game of today. I still don't think we are strong enough in midfielder to boss this league, sykes and Henry aren't consistently good enough.
Isn't it a little too soon in the season for must anything games?

Believe me when I say that if we are under-performing after five or six games then I will be f*****g fuming.
But I’m damned if I am going to stand there after the very first game of the season and slate the players, the tactics, the substitutions, the manager and whatever else when we clearly have done alright.

If things are going pear shaped with this team this season then let’s just give them a little rope before we hang them from carfax tower eh?🤨

Why are you so sure that Robbo's ego was responsible for squad selection?

He left out Long, Gorrin and McGuane who all missed the last 2 weeks of preseason due to isolating. So Forde at right back and Brannagan in the defensive midfield role and Sykes in central midfield makes sense. Henry joined the midfield 3 which gave us the same 3 that did so well in the last third of last season.

He left out Holland (and one other) because of a new period of isolation. So giving Williams the right wing position and playing Whyte on the left was perfectly logical. In fact he said as much in the week when he said that if Holland doesn't play then Whyte will come in, so hardly surprised.

With the subs, Bodin for Williams was fine, and Winnall for Taylor kept the system the same at a time when we were looking fairly comfortable. Yes, Dan could have been an option but Winnall was hardly radical.

So, I know it's hard to accept, but Robinson made the sensible, logical decisions that you wanted. Unfortunately, Sykes makes a rash challenge and we lose 2 points.

The desperation to blame the manager is ridiculous, especially 90 minutes into a season. As someone else said, it's going to be a very long season if you can't cope with an away draw!
You must have been watching a different game and even a different outcome to me, bizarre.

Played well, can’t be be too disappointed in that. A month or 2 further into the season and we probably win that easily, just couldn’t get the second goal to kill off their hope and when it’s their first game in a higher league their fans always had that impetus to keep driving their team on at 1-0 down. I’d still like Agyei to get more of a say this season but don’t think that'll happen. An early season assessment from me is that we’ll be up there in the mix of things. We looked a good side with lots of options, once a few players hit full fitness then I think we’ll be a team most will fear in the league

I’m not Robinson’s biggest fan but today wasn’t down to tactics, selections or any decisions he made. We were undone by silly defending for the penalty, decision making in their final third and the fact their fans and players were desperate to get something from their first game in a higher league for a number of years. As I said before, a month or 2 further into the season they’d give that game up as lost when we were 1 up and on top. They just gave everything they had to get something. Our quality of play was much better than theirs throughout

I don't believe Sykes and Henry are a good pairing we've got to get Bran further forward . Gorrin or get somebody else in the defensive role Iam sorry Iam not a Sykes fan he gives so many petty fouls away it's ok in the other teams half but not around your own box. Only the first game but lose at home next week and we will already be moaning ,keep the faith . We've got a good squad and it sounds like there are a few more to come in. If we get Harrison in I can see Agyei going which will be sad. But if you want to go up the pyramid you have to make tough decisions

Cambridge we’re well up for that, and we weren’t quite. I thought we looked the better team but unable to convert play into goals, and then let the more motivated opposition in.
Getting 10% more of the contested balls and getting an extra half second time on the ball in the box would see us scoring more. Same as last season.
Were you at the game? We were well up for it ffs

I wonder about Agyei’s future at OUFC
If Holland had been available today would he even have been on the bench?
No.

Played well for most of today, but didn’t put them away when they were there to have their throats slit. It was quite obvious after 50/60 minutes that it was either going to be three or four nil or it was going to be one all. Sadly it went the wrong way. There needs to be an increase in ruthlessness as well as some growing up. Still too naive at times, which really showed with some of the fouling as well as the lack of killer instinct. The penalty incident was poor from Sykes but Moore got rugby tacked before that and it was somehow not given. The referee definitely didn’t seem to have much bottle to say the least.

It felt like a loss at the end as Cambridge were so limited and looked as though merely surviving would be an achievement based on that showing, but a point is a point. Was just great to be at a proper game again, especially a packed away day.

Back
Top Bottom