Away Match Day Thread +++ 07/08/2021 L1 Cambridge United v OUFC +++

Just seen the highlights. How on earth didn't we score more than once??!! 🤦

The chances that we created in the six yard box is very promising.

View attachment 6938
SUBS: Agyei, Henry, Williams, Sykes, Forde, McNally, Eastwood

So, with Long, Gorrin and McGuane all not in a position to start due to their covid/isolation interrupted preseason, the only difference is Bodin instead of Williams?

Yet you think Robinson was trying to be too clever, and ruled by his ego?!

And then it all comes down to whether we replace Taylor with Winnall or Agyei? We've had the arguments a thousand times between the two players, but again, it's hardly controversial to replace one striker with another?

I get the frustration, but we played well, created loads of chances, and looked fairly comfortable for large parts of the game. Individual errors cost us, but there was more to be happy with than moan about and playing like that with everyone back will see plenty of wins.

If winnall starts ahead of agyei on Wednesday then that will be a ridiculous decision he offers nothing he’s got led in his boots today we needed agyei’s pace and power to push Cambridge back not bloody winnall to do nothing

Funny how everyone sees the game differently! I know Sykes gave away the penalty, but I thought he had a good game and really involved throughout. Henry was the quietest of the midfielders in my view.
Fair points mate. I think Sykes sees a lot of the ball, but isn't good enough to make the right choices. Happy to be shown wrong as the season progresses. And agree, I'm a big fan of Henry but he wasn't too involved.

Highlights reinforce what a poor decision by Whyte not to cross , Bodin missed a sitter should have gone with his head while Sykes just what on earth was his thinking ?

Sorry, just with individual errors being highlighted I thought I'd instead blame the manager!!

Seems to be the thing to do!!
Well I suppose if a left winger was in that position of Whytes then a better decision or shot would have been made , Dan no doubt would have scored Bodins miss and Sykes shouldn't have played 😉

So, with Long, Gorrin and McGuane all not in a position to start due to their covid/isolation interrupted preseason, the only difference is Bodin instead of Williams?

Yet you think Robinson was trying to be too clever, and ruled by his ego?!

And then it all comes down to whether we replace Taylor with Winnall or Agyei? We've had the arguments a thousand times between the two players, but again, it's hardly controversial to replace one striker with another?

I get the frustration, but we played well, created loads of chances, and looked fairly comfortable for large parts of the game. Individual errors cost us, but there was more to be happy with than moan about and playing like that with everyone back will see plenty of wins.

It is controversial when it was pre-planned that Taylor would be substituted in the 65th minute by Sicknote. At that time we could have done with Aygei's attributes to put pressure on their defence.

Last edited:
It is controversial when it was pre-planned that Taylor would be substituted in the 65th minute by Sicknote. At that time we could have done with Aygei's attributes to put pressure on their defence.

It's a bit pathetic to refer to Sam Winnall as sicknote. Last season with the stop/start approach and back to back games meant that far more players than normal had injuries or fitness concerns. Do we get rid of Sam Long because he had three layoffs? Or Cam Bran for a freak injury? Winnall did nothing wrong when he came on, and with better service he could have put the game to bed.

It's a bit pathetic to refer to Sam Winnall as sicknote. Last season with the stop/start approach and back to back games meant that far more players than normal had injuries or fitness concerns. Do we get rid of Sam Long because he had three layoffs? Or Cam Bran for a freak injury? Winnall did nothing wrong when he came on, and with better service he could have put the game to bed.
I'm finding it difficult to believe that you were at the game today. Had you seen how little the play was influenced by the substitution of Winnall for Taylor then you may have a different opinion. At that time the game was turning, we backed off that little bit too much and allowed Cambridge to take the initiative. Had we brought Agyei on the style of play would have changed and brought a new influence to bear. We had the upper hand in terms of wing play, sadly, we surrendered that and allowed Cambridge back into the game.
Having backing off we caused the press on our defence to require intervention from the likes of Sykes, he did what he did and they had the penalty. Following that we still had more opportunities but lacked the cutting edge up top.
Winnall is not Taylor, Winnall is not Agyei. I said this earlier, a like for like swap is not fulfilled by Winnall for Taylor, Winnall is just not in the same league. Dan Agyei may not be the finished article but, he is different and brings something else to the game.
By the way, if you take exception to Winnall being referred to as "sick note" bear in mind that club officials refer to one of the two beds in the players dressing room as his (the other belongs to Hanson)

Why are you so sure that Robbo's ego was responsible for squad selection?

He left out Long, Gorrin and McGuane who all missed the last 2 weeks of preseason due to isolating. So Forde at right back and Brannagan in the defensive midfield role and Sykes in central midfield makes sense. Henry joined the midfield 3 which gave us the same 3 that did so well in the last third of last season.

He left out Holland (and one other) because of a new period of isolation. So giving Williams the right wing position and playing Whyte on the left was perfectly logical. In fact he said as much in the week when he said that if Holland doesn't play then Whyte will come in, so hardly surprised.

With the subs, Bodin for Williams was fine, and Winnall for Taylor kept the system the same at a time when we were looking fairly comfortable. Yes, Dan could have been an option but Winnall was hardly radical.

So, I know it's hard to accept, but Robinson made the sensible, logical decisions that you wanted. Unfortunately, Sykes makes a rash challenge and we lose 2 points.

The desperation to blame the manager is ridiculous, especially 90 minutes into a season. As someone else said, it's going to be a very long season if you can't cope with an away draw!
I understand your reluctance to allow any criticism of the team or manager, but please tell me the logic for those two substitutions, especially with so long in the game left when injuries may have required substitutions.

I'm really positive after today, as my posts show, as I was last week having been fortunate to see the gas game live, even though the game today was lost rather than one point gained. With all the riches kr has at his disposal, after one game you seem upset that some people are already giving quite vociferous opinions on how kr managed the game. Well, you may be the one finding it a long season, trying to keep up with such opinions, if today is repeated over the coming weeks.

Can you point out which of the subs gave the penalty away or contributed to us conceding? And how are you measuring the majority of fans supporting these views?
With all due respect, if you were at the game, then you would have heard many fans questioning why Winnall was coming on, when Taylor was doing nothing wrong, and during the walk out after the game.

I don't know what your undoubted connection is to the club, but you really do need to change the prescription of your rose-tinted spectacles.

Back
Top Bottom