Home Match Day Thread 18/12/2021 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I see of the league this year, the more I'm convinced it's a relatively poor League 1. Lots of big names, but the fact that that Wigan side and that Rotherham side are out in front says a lot about the general standard. If you think back to even last season, playing either of Posh or Hull with that starting XI (Forde at RB, unbalanced midfield with no CDM, etc.) would have been curtains. That's not to denigrate this Oxford side at all - they're very good - but it just emphasises the point that there's a real opportunity for us to achieve promotion this year.

Honestly, I thought that Rotherham looked really good - not particularly skillful, granted, but big, powerful, organized and efficient. Very similar to their team two years ago, in fact. By far the best side we've played, and we were fortunate to come away with a point.

By contrast, Wigan were really pretty ordinary today. Had some decent players going forwards but a bit of a shambles at the back at times, and I thought we had the better of the midfield tussle despite being forced to play two attacking midfielders and a winger in there. Add Cam & Herbie to our squad and I think we beat them comfortably.

Honestly, I thought that Rotherham looked really good - not particularly skillful, granted, but big, powerful, organized and efficient. Very similar to their team two years ago, in fact. By far the best side we've played, and we were fortunate to come away with a point.

By contrast, Wigan were really pretty ordinary today. Had some decent players going forwards but a bit of a shambles at the back at times, and I thought we had the better of the midfield tussle despite being forced to play two attacking midfielders and a winger in there. Add Cam & Herbie to our squad and I think we beat them comfortably.
Too true

If one of Bodin or Agyei has to go in January to bring in more fire power can it be Agyei, he was awful today and doesn't look like he has potential anymore.

Today sums us up. Good enough for play offs. Not good enough for autos.
I cannot believe your post. A decimated midfield, in actual fact no midfield and United put on a performance like that. Everyone we spoke to walking back along Knights Road was of the same opinion..........barring injuries this can be an automatic promotion side. An absolutely brilliant effort from all eleven.

I listened to probably half the game through an ear piece and did not recognise the game RadOx was describing. In the first half they compared our performance to Doncaster's first half against us. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Bizarre and annoying in equal measure.

I cannot believe your post. A decimated midfield, in actual fact no midfield and United put on a performance like that. Everyone we spoke to walking back along Knights Road was of the same opinion..........barring injuries this can be an automatic promotion side. An absolutely brilliant effort from all eleven.
Hold on, just to be clear, my comment was that we wouldn't finish top two. And I think that is a fair enough comment. Wigan and Rotherham both have bigger budgets, bigger and better squads than us - and are both higher up the league than us. Add to that a Sunderland side, that will be in or around the top, and a nasty Wycombe team that have historically done us when it counts.

Of course I want us to go up, no matter what. But we have not got the squad, as today proves. Lose some key players, and we're left with the likes of Bodin, who is just not going to change a game for us.

And yes, if we get a couple of quality acquisitions in January, then it could be game on. I'm (personally) just not convinced KR has what it takes to get us top two.

I loved that game. Great performance in the circumstances and a great atmosphere, helped by the flags. Surely Williams needs to stay in the team - absolutely everywhere on the pitch and faster and more skilful on the left than I expected. I also really enjoyed the way three of ours would gang up on one of theirs to get the ball. Sick that we ended up with nothing, but I’d have taken a draw last week and this, so we’re a point up on that.

Hold on, just to be clear, my comment was that we wouldn't finish top two. And I think that is a fair enough comment. Wigan and Rotherham both have bigger budgets, bigger and better squads than us - and are both higher up the league than us. Add to that a Sunderland side, that will be in or around the top, and a nasty Wycombe team that have historically done us when it counts.

Of course I want us to go up, no matter what. But we have not got the squad, as today proves. Lose some key players, and we're left with the likes of Bodin, who is just not going to change a game for us.

And yes, if we get a couple of quality acquisitions in January, then it could be game on. I'm (personally) just not convinced KR has what it takes to get us top two.

To be fair we lost more than a few key players! I agree that we probably aren’t good enough for top two, but don’t see that as a fault

A fully fit Oxford wins that match today wigan weren't nothing special I was far more impressed with Plymouth and Rotherham tbh get our place in order get the players fit and this will be our year

We were much the better footballing side today and not only deserved a point but probably all three. Wigan played the game very much like Wycombe, a big strong side who are direct and physical. With the squad decimated as it was some of our passing and movement was excellent.
we can be very proud of our football club today for not only getting the game on when most clubs would have called it off, but for giving us tremendous entertainment.

COYY

McLean was very quick and direct and looked to get his marker square on at every opportunity, I felt the goal was always going to come via him. With Kane, Brannagan, Henry and a conventional centre back (allowing a conventional right back) then I think we win that with a bit to spare. A point at Pompey and two homes wins over the festive period will see us right back in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom