Home Match Day Thread 19/03/2022 L1: OUFC Ipswich Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's this love in with Burns about? He dived and rolled around on the floor about five separate times in the first 30 minutes of the game, one of their worst offenders for it in fact. No sympathy for anyone associated with Ipswich yesterday, and the undeserved last gasp equaliser was made all the sweeter for it. They can shove that bloody drum up their a**e.
Agree, Garbutt was decent. Think he'll be in the Championship next season...😉

As one of the only people remotely qualified to say this in terms of seeing things up close every day: you would be incredibly surprised. I don’t like the notion that if you don’t do a job already you can never have an idea better than somebody who does. It’s patently untrue industry.

Unless it’s me doing the job and then I’ve already figured out the best way to do it so shut up.
Yes there’s truth in that, as an expert you can get tunnel vision or set in your ways. But the ‘stands to reason’ school of armchair punditry is pretty tedious

Nottingham Forest manager had (and is the latest in a decent line) never played the game professionally and he is doing a decent job so you don’t necessarily have to have played the game to a high level to have a good view of it.

You do have to concede that those who have been around it as a professional most of there lives have a better understanding of it than Dave “sack everyone and everything” down the pub though.

They are even letting a yank have a go at Leeds, that might be going to far though.

I must confess I don't really recall him from when he played for us. Was he any good back then?

I remember him as a decent but very young so not at his peak yet. Some loan signings you can see will be good players in the future and he was one of those.

I looked him up,9 appearances in 2014/15. I remember him being ok as a winger but we had lots of good players at the time

That was MApp’s first season and we went through a lot of bad players that year, especially in the first half of it. I think that Burns was ok but struggled to make a great impression.

Like the vast majority of former players - neither outstandingly good nor shockingly bad.

That was MApp’s first season and we went through a lot of bad players that year, especially in the first half of it. I think that Burns was ok but struggled to make a great impression.

Like the vast majority of former players - neither outstandingly good nor shockingly bad.
Ah, that'll explain it. I was too dazzled by the skills of Junior Brown, Alex Jakubiak and Richard Brindley (who?) to notice Wes Burns.

He left in the February and was replaced by Kemar Roofe! I had to look it up, the years blur together

I remember him as a decent but very young so not at his peak yet. Some loan signings you can see will be good players in the future and he was one of those.
He and Madden always looked very good against us playing for Fleetwood ( when they were always beating us)
I thought that yesterday he was far and away their best attacking option.

Nottingham Forest manager had (and is the latest in a decent line) never played the game professionally and he is doing a decent job so you don’t necessarily have to have played the game to a high level to have a good view of it.

You do have to concede that those who have been around it as a professional most of there lives have a better understanding of it than Dave “sack everyone and everything” down the pub though.

They are even letting a yank have a go at Leeds, that might be going to far though.
Neither has our manger, played professionally either.

Two poor performances on the trot from Sykes which is uncharacteristic. Agree that Long and Kane together with Eastwood were our top performers.
Thought Ipswich were very good and I can see them beating Plymouth on Saturday if Morsy starts and also Bonne comes in up front.

With Sykes - and I said this on one of the other threads last week - I honestly think the problem is that he's not really, truly comfortable playing in that position.

It's fine against teams like Burton, who offered minimal attacking threat and therefore essentially allowed him to play as a winger.

But Ipswich (and to be fair Shrewsbury before them) focused on pressing us up the park down both flanks, and forced Sykes & Williams to play far more in their own halves than either of them would like.

I still think that we are more solid defensively with the 3-at-the-back formation, and so we should on balance persist with it......but one of the downsides is that it likely does blunt Sykes as an attacking threat against some of the better teams, or at least teams that are well coached.

We could play Forde at RWB instead (who I think is more naturally suited to that position, albeit he's not as talented as Sykes) and free up Sykes to play further forwards. Although then you would have to leave out Bodin or Whyte, so I'm not sure about that either.

With Sykes - and I said this on one of the other threads last week - I honestly think the problem is that he's not really, truly comfortable playing in that position.

It's fine against teams like Burton, who offered minimal attacking threat and therefore essentially allowed him to play as a winger.

But Ipswich (and to be fair Shrewsbury before them) focused on pressing us up the park down both flanks, and forced Sykes & Williams to play far more in their own halves than either of them would like.

I still think that we are more solid defensively with the 3-at-the-back formation, and so we should on balance persist with it......but one of the downsides is that it likely does blunt Sykes as an attacking threat against some of the better teams, or at least teams that are well coached.

We could play Forde at RWB instead (who I think is more naturally suited to that position, albeit he's not as talented as Sykes) and free up Sykes to play further forwards. Although then you would have to leave out Bodin or Whyte, so I'm not sure about that either.
Bodin was decent creative wise in the first half. I think you are right, we are more solid with three at the back, for all Ipswich's dominance yesterday what did they actually create apart from the goal? The biggest difference was the difference between the two benches, their two early subs changed the dynamics of the game. So putting one of Sykes, Whyte or Bodin on the bench is not a bad shout if it gives us more impact from the subs.

My opinion of Ipswich fans has been further diminished by the behaviour of one balding, overweight, middle aged prat post match. Heading to the car park from the main concourse, along with many other OUFC fans, we encountered this prat, going in the opposite direction. (Presumably coming from the away end but, who knows) He decided that my wife was in his way and barged into her, sending her flying. Fortunately she was not injured, badly shocked but no physical injury. She is not one to accept this kind of behaviour and went after the prat, tapped him on the shoulder and asked that he look her in the face and explain himself. Clearly taken aback and probably alarmed by the fact that I was ready to launch myself at him, he stopped and feigned innocence. He eventually apologised as more folk stopped to see what was happening (including a steward who had become aware of a potential disturbance)

We experienced the same behaviour in Ipswich and can recall many others with similar stories including children being verbally abused.

Quite frankly, Ipswich never making it out of league 1, or better still, getting relegated further, would please me no end. This belief by, recently, former Premiership sides or so called "big clubs" of a divine right to gain promotion is pitiful. These clubs need to educate their fans and get them to grow up.
In these times of "Her game too", "Level playing field" and all the other incentives and campaigns for equality and understanding, these types of Neanderthal, knuckle dragging morons is over. My wife wants to attend matches and feel safe, not threatened. I want to attend knowing that she will be safe.
Had verbal abuse in J' s bar of a couple for no reason. Unpleasant lot. Bunch of wannabee Cockneys!!

Yep, there was a few Ipswich thugs looking for a fight on the way through under the railway bridge to Littlemore. They were shouting and pointing towards us, a few of us told them to grow up as most of us have our kids with us, police must of been called prior though as police car came charging down Minchery farm Road to disperse them. Most other clubs thugs are respectable that you don't start on shirters or familys and take it away from the crowds but these morons have no morals obviously.
Ipswich do not have “lads“ and ”shouting and pointing“ and being nasty to family’s sounds about right .

I sat in a different seat to my ST as had both my boys and wife with me on saturday. We were in the corner south stand lower closer to east stand. Just below the boxes. IT fans in the the end box. I assume they just bought it as oppose to being guests for the day. Gobby before and during the game but escalated when they scored. Some Ox fans in the other boxes getting wound up. Our goal goes in and everyone around us turns to ‘celebrate’ with the IT fans. I wish I got my phone and took a photo. The looks were priceless.

Amazed it didn’t kick off. One ox fan screaming with joy about 5inches from one of the gobby IT fans. They all went dead quiet and lost the ability to speak. Laughed at a fat old bloke with a flat cap on who had been very gobby, and had a few choice words for him as we walked past to go down the steps. He just shook his head as I went by but when I was far enough away then started to say a load of sh*t.
Sums them up really.
Hope the stay in league 1 for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom