Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you wouldn’t replace Mark Sykes or Ryan Williams?
Goodrham should replace one of them , Forde and James Henry can play there .
Would prefer a young left winger with potential along with another ' steady ' left midfielder than any more on the right tbh .

S
Last year we had too many wingers and not enough defenders. We don't need to replace every winger that leaves. Worth noting that Forde and Henry can also play on the right.
Surprised no one has talked about replacing Kane - must be one of the most important spots. Hopefully we'll get someone a bit tougher. I'd say one player can take the Williams/Sykes place on right wing, with another replacing Williams as a full back or wing back.

S

Surprised no one has talked about replacing Kane - must be one of the most important spots. Hopefully we'll get someone a bit tougher. I'd say one player can take the Williams/Sykes place on right wing, with another replacing Williams as a full back or wing back.

If those 8 included Stuart Findlay, young Irish defender (Balmer?), Nicky Cadden (have to get him eventually!), top class replacement for Kane (Liam Walsh?), Jodi Jones, first team ready RW (Whyte?), Dane Scarlett and maybe a leftfield wildcard player from a higher league then I think our squad will be looking pretty good.

Last year we had too many wingers and not enough defenders. We don't need to replace every winger that leaves. Worth noting that Forde and Henry can also play on the right.

Last year we had Mark Sykes, Ryan Williams, Nathan Holland & Gavin Whyte. 4 very good wingers at our level. As it stands now we only really have Marcus Browne.. possibly Jodi Jones too. Would be stunned if 2 more new wingers didn’t come in as well.

Might be in the minority here but I'd be fine with Browne, [Whyte], Henry, Bodin and Forde being our senior pro options on the wing.

At wing back/full back, I would hope we get a proper experienced option. Not a winger filling in.

Might be in the minority here but I'd be fine with Browne, [Whyte], Henry, Bodin and Forde being our senior pro options on the wing.

At wing back/full back, I would hope we get a proper experienced option. Not a winger filling in.
They're all good players but apart from Whyte only Browne is fast, we need a bit more pace

3 new wingers in, with Goodrham going on loan to a conference side (so can have a 24hr recall I think) would be my prediction. I think we’ll do the same with Golding.
New first choice CB. A young LB. Definitely 1 CM, possibly 2. And a younger striker.

Last year we had Mark Sykes, Ryan Williams, Nathan Holland & Gavin Whyte. 4 very good wingers at our level. As it stands now we only really have Marcus Browne.. possibly Jodi Jones too. Would be stunned if 2 more new wingers didn’t come in as well.
Suspect we'll see Jones in some of the pre-season games
Probably not Saturday though

As much as I agree that Sykes needs to be replaced, what did he actually bring to the team in terms of goal involvements?

Sykes, for all of his qualities, was absolute poo when it came to making the right decisions in the final third. His defensive capabilities were non-existent, and truth be told, I think he was more of a hinderance! Silly foul after silly foul. Miss-placed pass, after miss-placed pass. Poor decision, after poor decision.

Is this another case of a player suddenly becoming the dogs B*****s, just because he’s left the club? He wasn’t all that. He isn’t all that.

Browne > Sykes
Jones > Williams

I loved Ryan Williams, but he was another speedboat with no driver. For all of his endeavour, he didn’t have much end product. Jones seems to have much more about him, and has played at a higher level. Still highly thought of by the Coventry fans, so we’re already going some way towards replacing them; with more on the way..

As much as I agree that Sykes needs to be replaced, what did he actually bring to the team in terms of goal involvements?

Sykes, for all of his qualities, was absolute poo when it came to making the right decisions in the final third. His defensive capabilities were non-existent, and truth be told, I think he was more of a hinderance! Silly foul after silly foul. Miss-placed pass, after miss-placed pass. Poor decision, after poor decision.

Is this another case of a player suddenly becoming the dogs B*****s, just because he’s left the club? He wasn’t all that. He isn’t all that.

Browne > Sykes
Jones > Williams

I loved Ryan Williams, but he was another speedboat with no driver. For all of his endeavour, he didn’t have much end product. Jones seems to have much more about him, and has played at a higher level. Still highly thought of by the Coventry fans, so we’re already going some way towards replacing them; with more on the way..

No one has said he’s the dog B*****s?

He needs replacing. Hopefully with a winger of higher quality to give us another extra dimension.

Jones on a one year deal would be a respectable replacement for Holland.

Williams is a bundle of energy and very reliable in terms of fitness. Whyte is rumoured to come back, he would be a fine replacement.

Browne, top class RW, Jones & Whyte. Would be fine as our 4 wide men.

Last year we had Mark Sykes, Ryan Williams, Nathan Holland & Gavin Whyte. 4 very good wingers at our level. As it stands now we only really have Marcus Browne.. possibly Jodi Jones too. Would be stunned if 2 more new wingers didn’t come in as
Definitely need another left wing option as well as it seems the wildcard of Jones .
Sykes replacement would be utility midfielder rather than a young right winger I'd say .
Proper cover in all positions is surely the aim.

3 new wingers in, with Goodrham going on loan to a conference side (so can have a 24hr recall I think) would be my prediction. I think we’ll do the same with Golding.
New first choice CB. A young LB. Definitely 1 CM, possibly 2. And a younger striker.
Gavin Whyte, Jodi Jones, Nicky Cadden, Owen Beck, Liam Walsh, Troy Parrott, Stuart Findlay. Would we be happy with that? (Using names I've read on here that i'd like no substance to any of them)

Liam Walsh is a decent shout. Was brilliant for Coventry in CM in 18/19 when they won the league but has been plagued by injuries since. I see he’s been transfer listed at Swansea along with Jay Fulton who I’d much rather prefer.

No one has said he’s the dog B*****s?

He needs replacing. Hopefully with a winger of higher quality to give us another extra dimension.

Jones on a one year deal would be a respectable replacement for Holland.

Williams is a bundle of energy and very reliable in terms of fitness. Whyte is rumoured to come back, he would be a fine replacement.

Browne, top class RW, Jones & Whyte. Would be fine as our 4 wide men.

That’s fair enough, and I agree with your points.

I think we fall into the habit of overstating a players importance, once they’ve left the club. I don’t think Sykes was particularly good? He often went missing, and as I said, he was a liability in front of goal, and when coming back to defend.

Jones is a much better option than Holland
Browne is a much better option than Williams

Yes, we need to sign more wingers (KR will w**k at the thought) but I think we’re actually okay, as it stands? Definitely not an area that concerns me.

LB, however. Yikes. We definitely need another LB/LWB, because the thought of Seddon starting at LB, gives me BO.

Can I just ask all these people doubting Seddon do you think he's a bad player or was it a case of he ran out of legs lost confidence at the same time but because of bad recruitment he had nobody to replace him I personally think he started last season really well

Can I just ask all these people doubting Seddon do you think he's a bad player or was it a case of he ran out of legs lost confidence at the same time but because of bad recruitment he had nobody to replace him I personally think he started last season really well
I actually think there is a player in there. I think it's confidence maybe, although I obviously have no knowledge of behind the scenes stuff so maybe he had something going on etc. Either way I'm hopeful he will show us all the player he is, this season.

Liam Walsh is a decent shout. Was brilliant for Coventry in CM in 18/19 when they won the league but has been plagued by injuries since. I see he’s been transfer listed at Swansea along with Jay Fulton who I’d much rather prefer.
Plagued by injuries you say?

As good as done.

I agree. I also think he was not helped by the team around him. He played with numerous LCBs and I just think we never really had a plan when Seddon was caught high up the pitch - I.e. who pressed the ball and who covered space. We seemed to do it much better on the right than the left and this was exploited in some games. It became the obvious way to hurt us but I don’t think this was down to Seddon specifically.

He’s a very solid full back and ran really hard for us in the first half of the season, in particular, but we couldn’t rotate him out. I don’t think he needs replacing but I think he needs competition and someone to share the load because our full backs have to be up there with the fittest in the league to cope with the physical demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom