Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we only had the 2 back you mentioned then basically everyone would be playing 90 minutes every week with no option to change or refresh anyone.

Stevens the only right back, Bodin is cover across the 4 forward positions, Murphy whos now injured and cant play 90 minutes game after game anyway.
Does anybody know if Bennett can play at right back, as he’s does pretty well covering Leigh.

Does anybody know if Bennett can play at right back, as he’s does pretty well covering Leigh.
That would be mental. We get a proper full back meaning Brown doesn't have to cover there and then we move him on to his weaker side, negating any attacking benefits be brings to just to take Stevens, who is fine, out of the team? I would be tempted to offer him a deal until the end of the season though, he's filled in very well and will give us an option in case we're without Leigh again, or even to play Leigh in a more advanced role. Proper back up isn't to be sniffed at, certainly better than breaking up our best central defensive partnership to play Brown there out of position.

That would be mental. We get a proper full back meaning Brown doesn't have to cover there and then we move him on to his weaker side, negating any attacking benefits be brings to just to take Stevens, who is fine, out of the team? I would be tempted to offer him a deal until the end of the season though, he's filled in very well and will give us an option in case we're without Leigh again, or even to play Leigh in a more advanced role. Proper back up isn't to be sniffed at, certainly better than breaking up our best central defensive partnership to play Brown there out of position.

Tbf, it looks like Bennett can use either foot well.

3 coaches seem to not rate him so something has gone wrong.

Considering his background/pedigree and our paucity of options in attack at the moment it’s definitely a weird one that he hasn’t managed to get a look in, even on the bench, and hasn’t had a sniff under 3 separate coaches now.

He will go back next week, be interesting to see what happens in his career from now on as he was highly rated but has had as bad a first loan as it’s possible to have.

It's the 28th of December ,what time does the transfer market open and by what time ,day do fans think the first player ,what position, will be buy loan, do the fans think he will be etc. Its like going to Ralph Lauren at bicester village with your Xmas money ,what shirt ,trousers ,jacket will we get.

It's the 28th of December ,what time does the transfer market open and by what time ,day do fans think the first player ,what position, will be buy loan, do the fans think he will be etc. Its like going to Ralph Lauren at bicester village with your Xmas money ,what shirt ,trousers ,jacket will we get.
A terrifying insight!

I fear Browne is done at this level and destined to go the same way as Robbie Hall as a player who never fulfilled their potential due to constant injury, whilst Murphy was likely done before Karl threw a load of money at him. It feels like we'd be lucky to regularly get 90 minutes combined out of the two of them for the rest of the season. With Edwards also appearing to be out for a while, then we definitely do need more out there.

If we signed two out and out strikers then that would likely help, as Harris could go out wide (which I believe was his customary role at Cardiff) and I'd feel he'd do alright there. Much of a Ryan Williams type winger who would work hard and always be available. But it does feel like 2 strikers and a winger should be the minimum we aim for if we're serious about promotion. Add some grizzly bastard into central midfield and all of a sudden we'd have one of the best squads we've had in a while. Exciting times.

I fear Browne is done at this level and destined to go the same way as Robbie Hall as a player who never fulfilled their potential due to constant injury, whilst Murphy was likely done before Karl threw a load of money at him. It feels like we'd be lucky to regularly get 90 minutes combined out of the two of them for the rest of the season. With Edwards also appearing to be out for a while, then we definitely do need more out there.

If we signed two out and out strikers then that would likely help, as Harris could go out wide (which I believe was his customary role at Cardiff) and I'd feel he'd do alright there. Much of a Ryan Williams type winger who would work hard and always be available. But it does feel like 2 strikers and a winger should be the minimum we aim for if we're serious about promotion. Add some grizzly bastard into central midfield and all of a sudden we'd have one of the best squads we've had in a while. Exciting times.
I fear you could be right about Browne but you’re hopefully wrong about Murphy. I guess the next two or three games will tell us whether it’s just a knock or he’s going to disappear into another unspecified injury layoff.

Please accept my invite to join me on a couple of player threads with that excellent point of view…
We shouldn’t expect mediocrity anymore, the days of Karl Robinson gifting contracts out to players well past their sell by date are now over & wherever they’re a weakness we should look to improve on it (classic example's Left Back in 1 window we sign Leigh & then Bennett later compared to KR 5 year stint using midfielders & wingers as fullbacks 🫣)

I'm not particularly au fait with how the likes of Ed Waldron go about their job, but I have experience of pitching data-driven ideas - and I'd be tapping up the Arsenal loan manager (again) about Mika Biereth (cc Mikel Arteta).

Your boy has completed the SPL in half a season (for a particularly poor side). He now needs a step up. That is League One. He also needs to play as the focal point of an attack minded side that creates chances - and wins more than they lose (a better taster for what he'll eventually do at Arsenal).

Send the tapes of our games. Show what we are about and the opportunities we can create. Make it clear that he's the missing piece and our No.1 target. And that we are absolutely perfect for him. He'll rattle in 8-12 goals from here on in - and then he's got suitors left, right and centre (and actually puts himself in the thoughts of the manager at Arsenal). Good for them, good for the player.

It's a perfect fit, at the right time. Put together a professional dosier, make it the easiest decision the parent club has to make this January.

I second this. I like Browne, but even when fit, what percentage of him can play to avoid another injury? He will have to play within himself and that’s the beginning of the end for a player so explosive.

Also agree with second part, I’m starting to wonder whether Harris would actually be a greater goal threat coming on to things at the far post from a wide position seeing as he seems forever a second or two late through the middle. He’d then also be a secondary goal threat rather than shouldering full responsibility which I think would suit him mentally - he looks shot of confidence. He isn’t the bloodhound our team is calling for and that’s why my choice would be JCH to come in - that bloke lives and breathes goals and 18 months of his goals could and should see us up, and you still then have a striker at 32 who can give you 15+ in the championship if you play your cards right. Not every player has to have a high future sale value, especially when the calling for what he possesses is as great as it is here. JCH through the middle and Harris picking up what he can at the far post from likes of Mills/Stevens putting the ball in good areas is a decent prospect while we’re missing so many wide players.

Last edited:
I second this. I like Browne, but even when fit, what percentage of him can play to avoid another injury? He will have to play within himself and that’s the beginning of the end for a player so explosive.

Also agree with second part, I’m starting to wonder whether Harris would actually be a greater goal threat coming on to things at the far post from a wide position seeing as he seems forever a second or two late through the middle. He’d then also be a secondary goal threat rather than shouldering full responsibility which I think would suit him mentally - he looks shot of confidence. He isn’t the bloodhound our team is calling for and that’s why my choice would be JCH to come in - that bloke lives and breathes goals and 18 months of his goals could and should see us up, and you still then have a striker at 32 who can give you 15+ in the championship if you play your cards right. Not every player has to have a high future sale value, especially when the calling for what he possesses is as great as it is here. JCH through the middle and Harris picking up what he can at the far post from likes of Mills/Stevens putting the ball in good areas is a decent prospect while we’re missing so many wide players.
Peterborough would be mad to sell to us though, unless they really only love money or think we’re so flimsy as to be no threat.

For all the talk of strikers being hard to find there are a few worthwhile shouts on this thread with the likes of JCH as a proven scorer (assuming Ladapo is a no go due to injuries at Ipswich) and some younger players who might be ready to step up like Goodwin at Cheltenham or have their loans switched up like Mellon and Biereth at Morecambe and Motherwell respectively. I'd ideally like to see someone with a history of goals and another younger player who could step up, either on loan or as a permanent as long as they're ready to go now.

We have a lot of wingers but I'd forget Browne at this point unfortunately. Murphy I believe needs his minutes managed quite heavily and Edwards struggles with injuries so we're actually fairly thin on the ground, I'd like someone in here as well.

Also wouldn't mind another central midfielder to shake things up as well as allowing Brannagan and McGuane to rest. I'd be speaking to West Ham about Conor Coventry. He's 23 now, he won't be making it there and is out of contract at the end of the season so they will likely be happy to take something for him now and save 6 months wages. Did well for MK Dons under Manning at this level and then last season was a big part in Rotherham staying up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom