Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peterborough would be mad to sell to us though, unless they really only love money or think we’re so flimsy as to be no threat.
Peterborough are likely to get north of £15 million in a sell on clause payment for Ivan toney this window so that could go one of two ways - either they can invest at a level that means they don’t worry about selling to a rival or they can afford to let make him stay until the summer and lose him for free. I think/hope the former (although I am sure they would rather sell him to a less obvious competitor or diff league) as DM is still a businessman.

Peterborough are likely to get north of £15 million in a sell on clause payment for Ivan toney this window so that could go one of two ways - either they can invest at a level that means they don’t worry about selling to a rival or they can afford to let make him stay until the summer and lose him for free. I think/hope the former (although I am sure they would rather sell him to a less obvious competitor or diff league) as DM is still a businessman.
Have we ever benefited significantly from a sell-on clause? I can’t think of any which is surprising when you think of all the talent that we’ve sold over the years.

An interesting window but the one in the summer will be more so ,is Browne and Murphy out of contract ? and who else ?

I just hope we aren’t waiting until 22:59 on the 31st of January to bring players in.

We need to get out of the blocks quickly, and get ourselves a well balanced squad, and can gel quickly.

It’s a very important window for us, and there are obvious targets out there, that will improve us no end.

For all the talk of strikers being hard to find there are a few worthwhile shouts on this thread with the likes of JCH as a proven scorer (assuming Ladapo is a no go due to injuries at Ipswich) and some younger players who might be ready to step up like Goodwin at Cheltenham or have their loans switched up like Mellon and Biereth at Morecambe and Motherwell respectively. I'd ideally like to see someone with a history of goals and another younger player who could step up, either on loan or as a permanent as long as they're ready to go now.

We have a lot of wingers but I'd forget Browne at this point unfortunately. Murphy I believe needs his minutes managed quite heavily and Edwards struggles with injuries so we're actually fairly thin on the ground, I'd like someone in here as well.

Also wouldn't mind another central midfielder to shake things up as well as allowing Brannagan and McGuane to rest. I'd be speaking to West Ham about Conor Coventry. He's 23 now, he won't be making it there and is out of contract at the end of the season so they will likely be happy to take something for him now and save 6 months wages. Did well for MK Dons under Manning at this level and then last season was a big part in Rotherham staying up.

CC has been on the radar previously. Wouldn’t be surprised, good shout!

With Brentford struggling I don’t think they will sell him till the summer no matter how much he wants to go, they will need the goals he brings to stay up I reckon.

With Brentford struggling I don’t think they will sell him till the summer no matter how much he wants to go, they will need the goals he brings to stay up I reckon.

Wrexham reportedly in for JCH. Could see him going there on the Qatari wage they’d throw at him.

Wrexham also linked to Lee Gregory, another I’d be interested in taking on in Jan.

Joe Taylor
Mika Biereth
Jake Young
Michael Mellon
Will Evans
Freddie Draper

Just a handful of young players doing very well in L2 who will no doubt make the step up now or in the summer.

Can someone explain to me why loaning out GOD is of ANY benefit to us.
At the risk of throwing out simple rhetorical questions - Do we really expect him to return to us from a spell in tier 3/4 a better, sharper, more intelligent thinker than he is now? When he returns is he going to be able to lead the line, be our main goalscorer, be an effective centre forward? Even with a little more self-belief, is he of the standard we want/need next season?

At the risk of throwing out simple rhetorical questions - Do we really expect him to return to us from a spell in tier 3/4 a better, sharper, more intelligent thinker than he is now? When he returns is he going to be able to lead the line, be our main goalscorer, be an effective centre forward? Even with a little more self-belief, is he of the standard we want/need next season?

Loaning out players to develop has no guarantee but he will gain far more experience than he is currently. Who knows if he will ever be good enough but the only way to find out is game time in a lower league.

Yes in simple terms - playing week in week out can only benefit him. Will he be able to lead the line who knows - but sitting on the bench getting the odd 5 mins is not benefitting us or him at the moment

I don't think he's good enough for us ,if we want to go higher ,I don't think I've seen even a glimpse where I would go wow .I think he's national league standard at best .

Maybe it’s to free up the place for someone better. To give him the opportunity of week in week out play gets him in the shop window to get rid in the summer. Lots of benefits, and maybe not for him to play here again.

I think we'd learn a lot - and hopefully so would he.

At the moment he is getting ten minutes here and there and (if we are honest) not really impressing as a potential starter. It may be that he isn't getting enough football or it may be that his early promise as a youth is never going to be fulfilled. Lend him out to somewhere where he might play more and you'd get a pretty good idea of which of those is the right answer. It also allows him to try to impress enough to get another job if he is deemed as not L1 standard and he leaves us. Of course you have to find a club that is willing to take him and use him.

I think I'd frame your first question in another way. Assuming we get at least one striker in over January, is NOT loaning him out of much benefit to us?

I don't think he's good enough for us ,if we want to go higher ,I don't think I've seen even a glimpse where I would go wow .I think he's national league standard at best .
Have just mentioned Bohemians have sold a player for over 6 figures.
had returned from over here and even turned down by Forest Green on trial.
Couldn’t hit a barn door for the first 10 games, but held his place and went on to near get goal a game for the rest of the season.
Bohs must be rubbing their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom