Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone disagrees we need better upfront, but there are a lot (me included) who don't agree that he's a bad player or offers nothing
I very much so wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but 18 games in I'm just not sure what he does?

Whenever I see a defence of him it's almost always that he has good movement and work ethic. From what I see, his pressing is largely ineffective and very much side to side - he rarely forces defenders into difficult positions or mistakes. Movement wise, I can't think of another striker who is so often not where you need him to be. We regularly put good quality balls into the box and he's nowhere to be found.

Imo, he's the weak-link in the team right now. A good striker in this squad has scored at least triple Harris' total so far and we're probably comfortably in the automatics.

The concern has to be that if we bring in a good striker (and I pray we do), what is Harris' role? He doesn't start out wide over any of our wingers, so does he just play second fiddle to whoever we bring in?

No one’s seen him in his natural position at Oxford United. You don’t get named in a World Cup sqaud, if you’re not proficient at what you do.
People making judgments as with Ciaron Brown earlier, both paying the price for lopsided recruitment.

You don’t get named in a World Cup sqaud, if you’re not proficient at what you do.
Not sure about that. I am someone who sees a role for Harris in the squad but that Wales squad had players from AFC Wimbledon and even Swindon in it, you don't need to be a world beater to get in.
People making judgments as with Ciaron Brown earlier, both paying the price for lopsided recruitment.
To be fair there weren't many who were saying Brown isn't good enough, rather that he's not good enough at full back and is better in the middle. I'd say they've been proven correct now that we have seen a proper left back in Leigh (and early days but Bennett too) and Brown has shown himself to be part of our best centre back partnership with Moore.

The Harris situation reminds me of Seddon last year. Out of form, seemingly lacking in confidence and desperately needs to be taken out of the firing line but lack of options with Perkins clearly not fancied, G'OD not good enough and Bodin being injured recently means he has to keep playing. He's no world beater but there's a better player in there than we're seeing currently.

I very much so wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but 18 games in I'm just not sure what he does?

Whenever I see a defence of him it's almost always that he has good movement and work ethic. From what I see, his pressing is largely ineffective and very much side to side - he rarely forces defenders into difficult positions or mistakes. Movement wise, I can't think of another striker who is so often not where you need him to be. We regularly put good quality balls into the box and he's nowhere to be found.

Imo, he's the weak-link in the team right now. A good striker in this squad has scored at least triple Harris' total so far and we're probably comfortably in the automatics.

The concern has to be that if we bring in a good striker (and I pray we do), what is Harris' role? He doesn't start out wide over any of our wingers, so does he just play second fiddle to whoever we bring in?
Unless we know exactly what the plan is from the coach, it's incredibly difficult to comment on that. Pressing side to side might be his job - I.e. giving the centre halves only one side of the pitch to play through. The forward press duties will then be down to those behind him as the ball goes forward. Truth is, we can only make an educated guess at what the plan is, but he might be doing the job asked of him perfectly. There's no doubt he has the engine to press more furiously if asked. He may not shine in games but he doesn't stand out for the wrong reasons either in general play.

I also don't see why there has to be this intense thought about where Harris fits in after we recruit. It's a squad game, the point is you get in different options who will share responsibility and more importantly compete for the spots available. We've seen how stretched a squad can get and no side going for promotion will get there with one striker alone, even if they are prolific. If it transpires he's more effective out wide then great as 2 of ours are on loan so not long term solutions, one is constantly injured and the other will likely be released in the summer. No down side.

Last edited:
The Harris situation reminds me of Seddon last year. Out of form, seemingly lacking in confidence and desperately needs to be taken out of the firing line but lack of options with Perkins clearly not fancied, G'OD not good enough and Bodin being injured recently means he has to keep playing. He's no world beater but there's a better player in there than we're seeing currently.
I think the Seddon comparison is taking it a bit far, personally.

Harris' general play continues to be good, he doesn't look to be shying away from the ball, and continues to get into some good goal scoring positions. He ABSOLUTELY needs another striking partner to allow him to get a rest, provide some genuine competition and to take some of the pressure off him.

Seddon looked completely shot mentally and, frankly, a liability for most of him time here. I think it does Harris a disservice to compare him in those terms.

But, again, yes, we desperately need one (and maybe even two) striking options alongside him from next month, with Perkins going back and GoD getting a NL loan.

Unless we know exactly what the plan is from the coach, it's incredibly difficult to comment on that. Pressing side to side might be his job - I.e. giving the centre halves only one side of the pitch to play through. The forward press duties will then be down to those behind him as the ball goes forward. Truth is, we can only make an educated guess at what the plan is, but he might be doing the job asked of him perfectly. There's no doubt he has the engine to press more furiously if asked. He may not shine in games but he doesn't stand out for the wrong reasons either in general play.

I also don't see why there has to be this intense thought about where Harris fits in after we recruit. It's a squad game, the point is you get in different options who will share responsibility and more importantly compete for the spots available. We've seen how stretched a squad can get and no side going for promotion will get there with one striker alone, even if they are prolific. If it transpires he's more effective out wide then great as 2 of ours are on loan so not long term solutions, one is constantly injured and the other will likely be released in the summer. No down side.
That may be the case but just from watching I wouldn't understand if it was - our press as a whole looks disjointed and ineffective. It seems to happen a lot that Rodrigues and the wingers will press but Harris won't limiting it's effectiveness.

My point about where he fits was more hinting at the fact that I don't think he fits in at all. If O'Donkor goes out on loan (which I think he will) and Perkins goes back, it would make sense for us to bring 2 strikers in.

If we do bring 2 in, it's likely both will be better rounded & more effective as strikers, pushing him right down the pecking order in that position. We've seen very little to suggest he's an effective, or a more effective, winger than those we already have, so again he's right down the list out wide.

Injuries benefit him at the minute, but with an almost fully fit team with 2 good strikers in in January I don't even think Harris makes the squad.

I think the Seddon comparison is taking it a bit far, personally.

Harris' general play continues to be good, he doesn't look to be shying away from the ball, and continues to get into some good goal scoring positions. He ABSOLUTELY needs another striking partner to allow him to get a rest, provide some genuine competition and to take some of the pressure off him.

Seddon looked completely shot mentally and, frankly, a liability for most of him time here. I think it does Harris a disservice to compare him in those terms.

But, again, yes, we desperately need one (and maybe even two) striking options alongside him from next month, with Perkins going back and GoD getting a NL loan.
I think Harris is more capable at this level than Seddon is for sure but mistakes always look worse for defenders. Seddon was undoubtably poor most of his time here but I'd also argue Harris has cost us plenty of points this season, most recently against Reading where his lack of anticipation or a poor touch meant he didn't even get a shot off in a few promising situations. I'm also not sure how good his all round play is, I think it's often fine but if you're a striker contributing nothing in terms of goals then fine doesn't cut it.

Having watched Harris a number of times play for Cardiff,
I’d say if he’s played properly. It would strengthen the right side and also add competition to Rodrigues
Even Brown says himself he’s a centre half, and as everyone can see he’s different type of defender to Leigh.
But many were adamant he was sqaud player. But credit to him for doing a clean sweep out of position, in the end of season awards.
And always should of been the first name down alongside Moore

Very harsh.

Kyle Joseph (at 21 years old) scored 9 League goals in 31 starts (many from out wide) in a really poor side. He had no threaded balls from Rodrigues, no marauding Greg Leigh, no out-and-out wingers like Mills or Edwards. He typically had to create all his own chances.

If he'd started 18 games for us this season, centrally, I reckon he'd be pushing double figures already. And I don't think it would somehow nullify the impact of Rodrigues - Kyle Joseph had work ethic, he could press - and score goals.

Harris does offer something, but this particular comparison does him no favours.
Blackpool did really well to get him on a free transfer.

I like Harris, but then again I liked Andy Scott and Derek Lilley, so have no issue with strikers/attacking players who don't score enough, as long as they seem to be busy and involved, so maybe the problem is mine.

Can we all agree that Harris is absolutely a good League 1 player, is technically strong, creates a lot of space and presses really well. He isn't however a natural goalscorer, therefore we need a somebody who is to compliment the squad.

Bookmark this, pin it- hang it on the f*****g Christmas tree- whatever. I think the rational amongst us are all aligned on that and there's not a huge amount else to say!

Can we all agree that Harris is absolutely a good League 1 player, is technically strong, creates a lot of space and presses really well. He isn't however a natural goalscorer, therefore we need a somebody who is to compliment the squad.

Bookmark this, pin it- hang it on the f*****g Christmas tree- whatever. I think the rational amongst us are all aligned on that and there's not a huge amount else to say!
So don’t keep repeating it then!

No he's a donkey.

I like Harris, but then again I liked Andy Scott and Derek Lilley, so have no issue with strikers/attacking players who don't score enough, as long as they seem to be busy and involved, so maybe the problem is mine.
I also liked Kevin Francis. But only because he used to make me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom