Away Match Day Thread 23/10/2021 L1: Burton Albion v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what’s interesting about the last 2 games is we’ve scored important goals at key times from not being too precise. The cross that went all the way in vs Shrewsbury and the balls in to areas of uncertainty today that just bought a couple of mistakes which you will get at this level from time to time and we have the quality to capitalise on that.

It was never about abandoning the KR style because we’ve seen so many times just how great it can be but just knowing that playing the percentage ball with quality can be super effective to supplement all the great things this team does. You don’t have to compromise on style, just vary it from time to time. I think it’s a great lesson we have learned this week as it’s often cost us trying to play through the eye of a needle.

One final point on Taylor who really looked sharp today - I think we all doubted him at one time or another this season but he’s really getting himself involved now and it just shows what a difference it makes to our results when he’s got the bitt between his teeth and starts looking for goals rather than waiting for them. Service has been questionable but great strikers make poor service look good! I hope Agyei had his notepad out this afternoon as that was a proper number 9 display right to the end. Just a great performance by all involved.

Still early 😉 but some interesting results around just to remind a few this league is no breeze. Therefore, days like today we have to enjoy! Cheers 🍺

I watched the game with Burton commentary and they were very good to be honest. Very balanced and told the game as it was. Very complimentary about us, saying we outplayed them from start to finish!

Great win lads!!
I said that as well - the commentary was very fair. They acknowleged that we were constantly getting into the gaps out wide and were the better team by a mile. Called the mis-hit shot for the Burton goal, Moore winning everything in the air and the penalty. I gave up with RO after Nick Harris’ struggles when Herbie Kane tackled Kane Hemings!

The only disappointments were conceding one when we thoroughly didn’t deserve to. Moore and Thorniley were excellent all game.

And our usual bugbear - final ball. We had so much of the ball down the channels and Holland was on the end of them that’ll do his confidence a world of good. The issue is that Burton flew in with late blocks, good saves and quality tackles. A little bit more nous and we could have had more.

Maybe I’m being greedy. We really were excellent today. Maybe keeping KR away from the team isn’t such a bad idea after all!

One more final disappointment. No faggots and peas available! I don’t think they’d even bothered getting them in.

Very disappointing.

Is it just me or does everything seem just a bit calmer about us when KR is not on the touchline or in the stadium?! Maybe he should keep this format going!! :LOL:
I have to agree. Couldnt tell how much Mous and Craig were on the touchline but Ive often wondered whether players appreciate their managers shouting constantly from the sidelines

Is it just me or does everything seem just a bit calmer about us when KR is not on the touchline or in the stadium?! Maybe he should keep this format going!! :LOL:

I would say Tuesday and Today we got the subs right and at the right time. Not sure if that's because Karl isn't on the touchline that he isn't overthinking and getting caught up in the emotion of the game but something has changed slightly in the last 2 games. When their goal went in I thought oh no here we go again, but rather then sitting on the lead and dropping back we carried on attacking and got rewarded with the penalty, now if Karl had been on the touchline the message to the players might have been slightly different and the final 10 minutes could of been a lot more cagey.

I have to agree. Couldnt tell how much Mous and Craig were on the touchline but Ive often wondered whether players appreciate their managers shouting constantly from the sidelines
I know it's a different game but in Rugby the manager/head coach often views the game from high up in the stands. You get a much better view of things and they keep in radio contact with their assistants for subs etc. I often wonder how much impact football managers really have screaming from the side, rather than observing from a better position and impacting things from there. I suppose it depends on the manager etc.

I'd love Kr to be banned for the rest of the season, always seems to work out well ! Brilliant result lads, and respect to all those that went. COYY!!!!!

One final point on Taylor who really looked sharp today - I think we all doubted him at one time or another this season but he’s really getting himself involved
I think that a lot on here never doubted Taylor.
He is class and has some bad spells (like most players- even Kane in the PL)
There were a small number who wanted him dropped for Agyei, but most, I think, knew that Taylor would come good.

This league this season is very bizarre take charlton beating Sunderland or Shrewsbury hitting 4 past Cambridge or morcambe drawing with Plymouth that’s just today’s strange results it’s been happening all season so far
The early signs are that Morecambe are decent. Not the relegation fodder most expected.

That was a measured, calm, polished, gutsy skilful and clinical performance. We looked a division better than Burton. And they are upper middle members of L1 without doubt.

If we keep this up then automatic promotion a possibility. The Rotherham home game is going to be pivotal.

Kane looks 35 and plays like he’s made 600 appearances. He ran that game. Surprised that the radio pundits didn’t really mention this.

Taylor, Henry and Moore also immense. Seddon continues to be a weak link unfortunately.

Non existent support from the home team plus quite the most disgusting burgers took a little shine off a very pleasant afternoon.

There seems to be an on field purpose , which is credit to the management.

It’s now time to have the off field strategy laid out.

COYY.

I think that a lot on here never doubted Taylor.
He is class and has some bad spells (like most players- even Kane in the PL)
There were a small number who wanted him dropped for Agyei, but most, I think, knew that Taylor would come good.
Agreed. I think there were hopefully only one or two posters that wanted Taylor dropped. He has proven time and time again what a quality striker he is, and a nightmare to play against. Form is temporary but class is permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom