Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be all over Smith. Not only scores goals but works his socks off, is a physical presence and quick - everything a number 9 should be. It’s so childish to say we shouldn’t have him because he did this or he did that or he offended some of our delicate fans. Who really cares less If he wears a yellow shirt and sticks the ball in the net.

I’ll guarantee you something, Swindon fans would have taken Chris Maguire in a heartbeat if we were getting rid of him in his pomp and just after he gave them some verbals. Fans should forget and do forget. Smith is hardly the first footballer to cup his ears to opposition fans - and by the way, that’s fans who were booing his every touch.

If you can’t take a bit back don’t dish it out in the first place.
Trust me I'm not delicate....

Too lightweight for me… got bullied last season. Wasnt exceptional. Would take him as a bench option. Probably better than mceachran. But we do need a player in the middle whos gonna break up play.

Totally agree. Been there, done it, with the likes of Bate, Kelly, Payne etc. We need more height and physicality in the middle of the pitch - a sort of Marlon Pack type. I think Des has alluded to this already. No more midgets.

I think he’s just a bit of an idiot Smith, but would take him back in a heartbeat.

He clearly enjoys being the pantomime villain and plays better with the attention. He misread the Joey situation, made a fool of himself and apologised. His first Reading press conference, he’s fed an awful question from some journalist who didn’t understand the background of why we don’t like him, which he stumbled around a bit. We gave him some stick at the away game, and he gave us some back.

I’d love Azeez, but if there’s any one Reading player who might like the idea of a controversial move to Oxford, it’s Smith. He’d be perfect for us, he can get over whatever issues he’s got from that loan spell that he took to Cambridge with him. Probably gets us promoted, minimum playoffs. Happy days for all concerned.

I think he’s just a bit of an idiot Smith, but would take him back in a heartbeat.

He clearly enjoys being the pantomime villain and plays better with the attention. He misread the Joey situation, made a fool of himself and apologised. His first Reading press conference, he’s fed an awful question from some journalist who didn’t understand the background of why we don’t like him, which he stumbled around a bit. We gave him some stick at the away game, and he gave us some back.

I’d love Azeez, but if there’s any one Reading player who might like the idea of a controversial move to Oxford, it’s Smith. He’d be perfect for us, he can get over whatever issues he’s got from that loan spell that he took to Cambridge with him. Probably gets us promoted, minimum playoffs. Happy days for all concerned.

And it's top shithousery!

We should be all over Smith. Not only scores goals but works his socks off, is a physical presence and quick - everything a number 9 should be. It’s so childish to say we shouldn’t have him because he did this or he did that or he offended some of our delicate fans. Who really cares less If he wears a yellow shirt and sticks the ball in the net.

I’ll guarantee you something, Swindon fans would have taken Chris Maguire in a heartbeat if we were getting rid of him in his pomp and just after he gave them some verbals. Fans should forget and do forget. Smith is hardly the first footballer to cup his ears to opposition fans - and by the way, that’s fans who were booing his every touch.

If you can’t take a bit back don’t dish it out in the first place.
Football 'lads' are more sensitive than nine year old girls when a player reacts to their goading, agreed, but I think he started this one. We should only sign him if we can chuck stuff as he comes out of the tunnel.

Lewis Bate available. I'd have him back in a flash! Imagine a midfield 3 of McGuane, Bate, Brannagan. Not disputing the fact that we need a 'disruptor' in the squad, but before he got injured, Bate was really starting to come into form. No brainer for me if we can get this one done!
Couldn't disagree more. What we need all over but especially in the middle is someone with a bit of physical presence and athleticism, Owen Moxen impressed me with Carlisle last season and fits the bill.

From what I’ve seen of Smith, he’s just the type of centre forward we need to complement/compete with Harris.

I get why people wouldn’t want him here though. Especially the way he acted in the game just after Joey died.

However plenty of players are idiots, as are fans, and on balance I’d prefer to see him in a yellow shirt rather than in the opposition.

It sounds like he’s available, so someone will take him off Reading’s hands for sure.

What’s he worth in today market?

Panutche Camara was always someone I wanted to see play for us once he left Plymouth.

Strong, tall, box to box midfielder.

Looks like he's hardly played past 6 months though so probably not worth pursuing now

Agree, looked just the sort of player we needed.

However old Salmon Pants saw his name mentioned on these boards and thought that was a good enough recommendation to sign him. Spent most of the season in the treatment room.

C’est la vie.

So we desperately need a striker (noted by everyone all season long), and it looks like there's one available with all the right attributes to help us with our promotion challenge. However we can't sign him because he once made me feel a bit sad.

We had more of this with Marriott earlier in the thread. It seems that if we're going to sign a striker he needs to be already banging in 30 goals a season in the Championship, was conceived on the centre spot of The Manor, and has the middle names "Left Side London Road".

That would never happen as its quite counter productive to their development.

In the older ages I still think Golding has the potential to make a good professional career, Obviously Gatlin only just turned 19 could kick on with a good loan move, Elliott-Wheeler is only 17 and in his second season in mens football so obviously has a chance. Below that there are some really good prospects (some playing agre group international football) and most weekends many premier league clubs scouting players. I would expect by the start of the 25/26 season circa 5 or 6 of the first team squad will have come through the academy 🤷‍♂️

Obviously not the primary purpose of the academy but in the past year alone it has brought in circa as much money as would be required to purchase J C-H in player sales from the younger ages. Those sales are 100% profit from an accounting purpose, whereas academy costs are offsettable losses. At present the academy competes (results and performance wise) with Cat 2 academies but being only cat 3 limits player development a little and more importantly limits compensation when bigger clubs come knocking for players.
Really interesting comments.
Franklin was another being involved on first team training before his injury

You obviously don't know me if you think I'm offended.

Well I don't know you, that's obvious. You seem to be very defensive, where have I said you, personally, are 'delicate' ? I stand by what I said - if you (as in our fans) dish out any stick and are then offended by Smith goading us and giving it back then you are of a 'delicate' character and one who can't handle what you give out.

Lewis Bate available. I'd have him back in a flash! Imagine a midfield 3 of McGuane, Bate, Brannagan. Not disputing the fact that we need a 'disruptor' in the squad, but before he got injured, Bate was really starting to come into form. No brainer for me if we can get this one done!
A very good player undoubtedly. I just wonder whether he complements Cam and McGuane though?

With the Bate discussion, I don’t think he’d be someone on our radar, or someone that fits what we are after.

However it may be someone that pops up and we think “He’s an upgrade on other 6/8 options” so we may look to add him in, as someone we wasn’t really planning too, an added bonus type think. Defo an upgrade on Smyth, and would help take the load off of CB and MM.

We do need a physical body in there though

Moxon
Dom Ball
Nohan Kenneh

Would be a few names to look at, probably in that order for me

Edit - Seen Kenneh is on loan, I thought they managed to poach him, Ossama Ashley from Salford could be a look for one to develop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom