Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a low wage contract/pay as you play. Ensures we have him on the books and then if all goes well can sort out a longer contract going into the summer. Makes perfect sense to me.
If the contract is suitably weighted on those terms, then great.

Hope this doesn’t count toward the ‘up to 6’ mentioned by Des a few weeks ago that’s 2 In with Burey & Cummings + 2 already in the building in Edwards & Bennett with Des saying yesterday JB counts towards his 6. We need more than 2 to be coming in the next final weeks imo.

I’m surprised the club didn’t wait till the cut of period at the end of March to then offer him a contract if/when he’s fit to contribute.
Get the feeling he may have had outside interest and we wanted to get it over the line ASAP as it feels fairly sudden considering what's been said about him.

I imagine its a pay as you play deal until end of the season, sounds like Ipswich paid up his contract?

Hope this doesn’t count toward the ‘up to 6’ mentioned by Des a few weeks ago that’s 2 In with Burey & Cummings + 2 already in the building in Edwards & Bennett with Des saying yesterday JB counts towards his 6. We need more than 2 to be coming in the next final weeks imo.

I’m surprised the club didn’t wait till the cut of period at the end of March to then offer him a contract if/when he’s fit to contribute.
Agree. No one is doubting his quality, it reminds me a bit of the time we had Jordan Graham on loan (first time) in League 2. I think he only played 5 times, no goals and a red card but he still showed he was head an shoulders above that level and it felt he'd been around longer such was his impact. However Edwards isn't going to help us at all in the immediate future, in which case it does seem odd to offer a deal now rather than wait a bit. Presumably we've had a look at him and think we can get regular games out of him next year and a deal now puts us in prime position. If it is weighted heavily towards appearances then I'm not against it but I'm also very wary of signing another injury prone winger to start replacing Browne and Murphy assuming they leave in the summer.

Personally I think its a bit of sound business having KE till the end of the season. I am sure we wont be paying him a big wage but keep him ticking over financially and it could become crucial come the end of the season to have a player of his calibre, particularly during a closed window . Also if he does come good at the end I am pretty sure he would get a new deal back on the expected wage.

Has he been injured before?

21/22 at Ipswich
"The wide-man has suffered with multiple injuries in his debut campaign, missing four games in September with a groin injury, four games in Winter due to Covid-19 and eight games around Spring with a thigh injury."

Then missed half a season with a quad injury too.

All muscle type injuries which you do expect from quick wingers and then covid which basically everyone had at some stages.

Love Kyle Edwards, and I wait for the day him and Leigh terrorise the opposition.

This to me makes sense, because we will no doubt be first in the queue to get him in the summer.

Top googling for "obscure European sides" there ;)

Actually it’s a mix of spectrum football management games from when I was a kid and not having much to do on a Thursday night, I don’t know much but my knowledge of obscure European football teams is pretty decent, today is the only time it’s ever paid off.

I don't quite get this Edwards signing.

So it looks like we're hoping that he might be fit again for the last month of the season (so April?)

Would be intrigued to know if we have an option on him too. I know it's semantics, but a "permanent deal" until the summer is a slightly odd one!

It’s permanent till it’s not permanent.

It’s one of those signings we make that is either mental or genius, they never turn out to be genius.

So is that 4 of the 6 done now? JB, JC, TB, KE? (I hope that‘s not the case)

I like Edwards when he’s fit, great player, similarly I like Browne and Murphy and Bodin when they are fit. Trouble is they equate to about 1-1.5 forward players between the 4 of them. I hope next season we don’t carry unnecessary baggage and risk, aka the KR days. We need players with proven fitness who are robust. Of course they may get injured but we need strong reliable players who don’t carry lots of previous injury history. Anyway let’s hope Kyle's back playing ASAP, can play at 100% without holding back and then stays fit, same with the other 3 mentioned for the remainder of the season.

Clever move re; Edwards - frees up a loan space and gives us first dibs in the summer, should we want him. One more winger on loan and a striker and I think that'll be us, with GO'D and AEW leaving on loan. Des spoke about strengthening our forward areas and we have in the short term;

Goodrham
Rodrigues
Burey
Henry
Woltman
Murphy (poss. back Sat)
Bodin (back soon)
Harris

2 more added makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I imagine Edwards will have been paid off by Ipswich, so I imagine he's being paid very little to be with us and use our medical/physio facilities. A fresh, fit Edwards could make a difference coming on for 10 minutes at the end of our last few games. And if he happens to break down again, or his recovery doesn't go as planned, we can make another decision on him over the summer.

Regarding Goodwin, perhaps he'll be the Billy Hamilton figure. Harris is more like Saunders than Aldridge although nowhere near as prolific as of yet.

28 contracted and loaned in professionals currently at the club.
17 of them count towards EFL Squad Cap of 22 (Goalkeepers and U21 registered contract players do not count)
3 loans in place

Key:
Count towards squad cap
Loans
Unlikely to play a role as it stands due to age/injury/pending exit

Cumming
Eastwood
McGinty
Brearey

Bennett
Brown

Golding