Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Marriott isn’t a reaction to loosing out on the Brentford lad, for me the RW slot needs filling ASAP now get our back up option in to allow Des more flexibility formation wise.

So Marriott isn’t a reaction to loosing out on the Brentford lad, for me the RW slot needs filling ASAP now get our back up option in to allow Des more flexibility formation wise.
Another striker in and could we see Harris being used out wide of a front three. Has certainly played there before and has some of the right attributes.

Here's what Des has been saying:

Elaborating on the reason for wanting the extra attackers, Buckingham said: “We’ve had to change how we set the team up since Charlton. We’ve spoken about the wingers we’ve lost.

“Marcus Browne, Kyle Edwards and Josh Murphy – that’s a lot of pace to lose out of your team, and then Stan Mills going back after the Coventry game.

“We want a winger that has pace and speed, and the technical qualities to play the way we want to.

“That will inject some further pace to our side, and we’ve seen how effective that can be, in the second half against Bristol Rovers.

“We brought Tyler Burey on, and we saw the difference that he can make.

“The winger will certainly be somebody in that mould, and as for the centre forward, it’ll be someone that can come in and contribute to the goals.

“We’ve brought Will [Goodwin] in, but he’s not going to be right for another week, at least.

“While he finds his feet, I think we need someone to complement the excellent work Mark Harris has been doing for us.”

All sensible comments really. Would just love a defensive midfielder to come in as well, but it's looking unlikely.

To be honest, I’m surprised we aren’t trying to use Josh Johnson more, especially with us trying to look more towards what we have before signing new players. Impressed against Palace and other teams and has now gone on loan again (yes I know he was injured, but I believe he would do good for us)

Elaborating on the reason for wanting the extra attackers, Buckingham said: “We’ve had to change how we set the team up since Charlton. We’ve spoken about the wingers we’ve lost.

“Marcus Browne, Kyle Edwards and Josh Murphy – that’s a lot of pace to lose out of your team, and then Stan Mills going back after the Coventry game.

“We want a winger that has pace and speed, and the technical qualities to play the way we want to.

“That will inject some further pace to our side, and we’ve seen how effective that can be, in the second half against Bristol Rovers.

“The winger will certainly be somebody in that mould, and as for the centre forward, it’ll be someone that can come in and contribute to the goals.

“We’ve brought Will [Goodwin] in, but he’s not going to be right for another week, at least.

“While he finds his feet, I think we need someone to complement the excellent work Mark Harris has been doing for us.”

All sensible comments really. Would just love a defensive midfielder to come in as well, but it's looking unlikely.
Completely agree, however if the budget can only allow for 2 of them, I think the midfielder is the one you have to leave behind…

Injury issues isn't it? Quality player but the danger he'd be another Browne/Edwards?
I have no idea tbh! Just had a quick search and doesn't seem like he's had any recent injuries but may be wrong. If he hasn't I still think he'd be very good backup.

I have no idea tbh! Just had a quick search and doesn't seem like he's had any recent injuries but may be wrong. If he hasn't I still think he'd be very good backup.
If he is fit it is strange he hasn't been picked up, assuming he wants another contract and isn't pricing himself out of the market.

Why loan? He’s out of contract at the end of the season so would expect Fleetwood to sell but nowhere near what they wanted in the summer.
Try before you buy, especially when you're buying something that hasn't scored many goals for half a decade.

Also got 18 months on his contract.

Last edited:
Think you might have to prepare to be disappointed
Yep we’ve waited a month and put most of our eggs in the wrong basket it seems with this one, Posh seem to be winning the race at the moment.

Disappointing

Accepting for a moment that we won’t get one in (which I find bizarre), I still believe we might have a temporary solution in our ranks already in Smyth. He’s come on leaps this month and looks far more useful than we’re making of him.

I’d be starting him tonight in front of the back 4. It guarantees us nothing but might stop us going behind early and give others license to go forward - we might then just go in front and have something to hold. He’s bright enough to use his yellow card when needed, too.

Might not be the long term answer but to just ignore the glaring need for someone in that role just because you don’t have the finished article in his late 20s is daft. He’s the most natural defensive-minded midfielder we have and looks more than comfortable with L1 football. It’s something we haven’t tried and need to.

The comment about Goodwin not being ready for a week at least is worrying, depends on the way you want to read it, but sounds like could be a bit longer which would be bad news, and pretty typical! Prob have to be managed in terms of game time after that too 🤔

The comment about Goodwin not being ready for a week at least is worrying, depends on the way you want to read it, but sounds like could be a bit longer which would be bad news, and pretty typical! Prob have to be managed in terms of game time after that too 🤔
He has said separately that "he'll be fit for Blackpool" on 10 February. We shall see.

Fosu was due to sign back in late Nov/early Dec - it was mooted at the club before Manning left and took a while to get over the line for whatever reason, he then picked up an injury and still isn't fully fit.

• Wow
Reactions: Ian
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom