Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are after a midfielder, David Kasumu or Romaine Sawyers could be options

Ed Waldron spoke about this earlier on in the season.
Talked about trying to make it harder for other clubs to know when players out of contract i.e. not just being able to google a signing announcement.

Not sure how much I particularly bought into that reason, given the amount of chat that goes on between agents, players etc.
It's never too hard to find out from people within the game.

With respect to Waldron, that is complete BS imo for the reasons that you have given.

If a player is interested in a move or simply wants to put the feelers out there towards the end of his deal, then that is exactly what his agent will do.

I have little doubt that the reason for the lack of transparency, relates much more to the possible stadium move/ground share/liquidation (if no agreement) is found, rather than football clubs googling players contract lengths.

So if they have Ryan Reynolds' money (with Hollywood's attention) and Robbie Williams wants to do the same with Port Vale - who should we be looking at? Thom Yorke? Kaleb Cooper?
Perhaps their affections will fade and they'll be back to square one.
I'm very rarely itk, but I can assure you that kaleb a) is nowhere near rich enough and b) doesn't give a flying f#@k about footie.

And c) yes, I realise it was a joke :)

Neither can i. That was the point. Odd that we are commiting to substantial transfer fees but not really protecting our investment beyond 2026, save for a few 12 month options on a couple of players.

It's even more strange that the club are not now divulging the length of contracts. Anyone would think they were trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
It's almost as if there is a significant event that will happen in June 2026 that the club don't want to commit anything beyond at the moment...wonder what that could be.

With respect to Waldron, that is complete BS imo for the reasons that you have given.

If a player is interested in a move or simply wants to put the feelers out there towards the end of his deal, then that is exactly what his agent will do.

I have little doubt that the reason for the lack of transparency, relates much more to the possible stadium move/ground share/liquidation (if no agreement) is found, rather than football clubs googling players contract lengths.
Is it possible that it's a little bit of both?

IIRC I'm sure Waldron did acknowledge that other clubs could still work out when a player's contract ends, but I think it's fair to suggest it's more difficult for them if that information isn't readily available in the public domain.

As a fan I don't like it, as it's just another thing that we can't properly scrutinise, but I do think Ed was being at least somewhat truthful when he suggested it could bring some benefits in the transfer market.

We're not the only club who have started it doing it though which is I'm not so sure on your latter point being THE reason (though it would make complete sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom