Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladapo doesn’t seem to be the prolific striker we’re after.
Goodwin only 21 has the potential to really cut through defences having looked at some of the YouTube videos of him.
I am really optimistic about Oxfords chances now, and looking forward to seeing Des’s players gel

Playing devils advocate… if you could have had Ladapo or Goodwin, who’d you have chosen?

Interesting question.

Initial thought is Ladapo.

However he is 31 next month, so if we’re looking long term then Goodwin makes more sense.

I’d rather have Goodwin on a permanent signing than Ladapo on loan to the end of the season if it’s a choice between those two options. One is long term, planning for the future the other is an expensive short term gamble.

It would‘ve been nice to see Lapapo sign for us permanently but I certainly wouldn’t want to be paying over the odds for a 31 year old striker in terms of a transfer fee and wages.

As for Charlton, unless they really think Ladapo can help them get into the playoffs this season ((a big ask) then it feels like an expensive vanity type signing to make up for losing out on Goodwin. He won’t be cheap.

Last edited:
Interesting question.

Initial thought is Ladapo.

However he is 31 next month, so if we’re looking long term then Goodwin makes more sense.

I’d rather have Goodwin on a permanent signing than Ladapo on loan to the end of the season if it’s a choice between those two options. One is long term, planning for the future the other is an expensive short gamble.

It would‘ve been nice to see Lapapo sign for us permanently but I certainly would want to be paying over the odds for a 31 year old striker in terms of a transfer fee and wages.

As for Charlton, unless they really think Ladapo can help them get into the playoffs this season ((a big ask) then it feels like an expensive vanity type signing to make up for losing out on Goodwin. He won’t be cheap.

I reckon for Charlton, it is about ensuring they aren't drawn into a relegation battle first.

I reckon for Charlton, it is about ensuring they aren't drawn into a relegation battle first.

I really can’t see that, even without Ladapo. They’ve just signed Connor Coventry, Alfie May is back from injury. They’ll be fine. There are definitely 4 worse team than Charlton in the league.

It’s an expensive vanity signing to appease the fans and massage salmon pant’s ego.

On the day we spend a reported £400k on a player, this forum has still, in many cases, found a way to become even more pissed off than they were before he signed. To do so with the vast array of medical and football recruitment professionals among us only serves to make this achievement even more impressive.

Peak Yellows Forum.

It's like you've not been here before, new old poster.

One of the big things Des had preached from day one is bringing good people together. If we'd really wanted Ladapo, we'd have signed him. Plenty of comment out there on his attitude, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Ed Waldron even referred to Goodwin being a good character fit: 'He’s young [and] fits the profile of the type of character we want.'

Happy we're going this route. There's a reason Todd Kane is playing his club football in Gibraltar these days, Brandon Barker signed for Morecambe, and Sonny Perkins didn't feature for us, and it's got nothing to do with footballing ability.

One of the big things Des had preached from day one is bringing good people together. If we'd really wanted Ladapo, we'd have signed him. Plenty of comment out there on his attitude, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

Ed Waldron even referred to Goodwin being a good character fit: 'He’s young [and] fits the profile of the type of character we want.'

Happy we're going this route. There's a reason Todd Kane is playing his club football in Gibraltar these days, Brandon Barker signed for Morecambe, and Sonny Perkins didn't feature for us, and it's got nothing to do with footballing ability.

I don’t necessarily disagree but thought it’d be interesting to hear peoples opinions.

To be fair, in Brandon Barker's case, having cheese strings for hamstrings doesn't help!

Just logged on to see everyone’s excitement about cleaning out Gorrin and Perkins and signing Bennett, Cummings, Burey and Godwin two weeks before deadline day.

This forum is absolutely f*****g nuts 🥜 😂🤭🫣🤫
Interesting post, only a few days ago you said we need to focus on a first choice striker and we’re massively short of forwards, having only Harris and GO’D and nothing else.

We sign a striker who’s injured and you wonder why no ones too excited? I think you’ve answered that from your own posts earlier in the week. Now that’s what I also call nuts 🥜😂😂

I don’t necessarily disagree but thought it’d be interesting to hear peoples opinions.

I’d have probably gone Ladapo on a 2.5 year deal…just!

That said, I think Goodwin could be a very astute signing and I believe that Waldron has credit in the bank and deserves to be backed. I sincerely hope it works out.

I’d have probably gone Ladapo on a 2.5 year deal…just!

That said, I think Goodwin could be a very astute signing and I believe that Waldron has credit in the bank and deserves to be backed. I sincerely hope it works out.
So would Charlton, only they had to settle on a loan.

Freddy hedging his bets, I suspect.

Seems a waste of money from a Charlton point of view. They are too far back, and would of been better off spending the money on younger players that can bring something to the team next season.

What it does do of course is potentially help us, because Charlton will take points from clubs inside the current top six.

Seems a waste of money from a Charlton point of view. They are too far back, and would of been better off spending the money on younger players that can bring something to the team next season.

What it does do of course is potentially help us, because Charlton will take points from clubs inside the current top six.
For a team mid to lower table (you could argue at a push on the very fringes of relegation trouble), their quality of Jan transfer dealings so far have been pretty darn good.

It’ll be interesting how many of their Jan signings start tomorrow compared to ours when we are already short on numbers and pushing for promotion!

Not trying to be negative just making an interesting point in comparison to aspirations etc…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom