Transfer Window January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Rate The Window So Far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not impossible to find one no, but are we really so desperate for *anybody* that it doesn’t matter one jot who they are anymore?

I really don’t get where this impatience has come from from a significant portion of the fanbase, especially when the frustration is directed at Ed Waldron, who has done a good job so far of rebuilding our side, and Des Buckingham who has only been here since mid November and has had to deal with an already thin squad losing 4/5 of its loan players.

To be only a winger and a striker short with a week left to go in the window is actually not bad, so I don’t really get why there are those that are treating it like the end of the world.
We need a decent CMD as well.

They were going to fork out 850k on JCH so yes they would. If he continues his trajectory he will be worth a lot more than that in 2-3 years.
Bit of a difference between a proven league one striker who was effectively a guaranteed 15-20 goals a season, and a young midfielder who has only spent 6 months in the EFL with 19th in league two Grimsby though.

Not that Kamil isn't a good player, it's just a very different situation than JCH where I don't think they'd be prepared to pay quite that much.

The club should have been identifying these players back in September. We have what potentially could be a top player in the signing of Goodwin but they found out about an injury he’s had for a couple of weeks or more in the scan in the medical, so they should have something else if not can see someone who most haven’t heard of being signed by 11pm a week tonight.

Des is on the record as saying thay there’s a list of players in each position that they monitor continuously. But identifying a player does not equal signing a player. Burey is a case in point. Tried for him in the summer, but couldn’t get it over the line, and now he’s here on loan.

There’s literally no chance that there wasn’t already a list of names on January 1.

Bit of a difference between a proven league one striker who was effectively a guaranteed 15-20 goals a season, and a young midfielder who has only spent 6 months in the EFL with 19th in league two Grimsby though.

Not that Kamil isn't a good player, it's just a very different situation than JCH where I don't think they'd be prepared to pay quite that much.
JCH has only scored more than 15 goals in a league season twice in his career

JCH has only scored more than 15 goals in a league season twice in his career
16 in 18/19.
13 in 19/20.
31 in 20/21.
12 in the championship in 21/22.
26 in 22/23.
Even this season he has 6 while being used sparingly.

Don't be nitpicking, if 35 year old Chris Martin can score 10 goals in that Rovers side by January, JCH can score at least 15 by May.

Lack of a DM is very weird. We really need to play 3 centre backs or one of the fullbacks in a 4 need to be Long or Brown or even both for it to work, which is what we were doing earlier in the season when we were successful. It reminds me of a few years ago and the difference Kashi made when we signed him. A DM could have a greater impact on our season than another striker and will also give us the option of playing RR as an advanced 8, which I would like to see.

They were going to fork out 850k on JCH so yes they would. If he continues his trajectory he will be worth a lot more than that in 2-3 years.
How come you believe other clubs have money to spend and we (Oxford not Charlton 😉) don't? We have been in the market to spend on players and actually have done so but you criticse us if something doesn't come off then come out with comments like this trying to imply there is something wrong/we don't have the funds. I just don't get the mentality of wanting to find fault with everything.

16 in 18/19.
13 in 19/20.
31 in 20/21.
12 in the championship in 21/22.
26 in 22/23.
Even this season he has 6 while being used sparingly.

Don't be nitpicking, if 35 year old Chris Martin can score 10 goals in that Rovers side by January, JCH can score at least 15 by May.
Just making the point that he doesn’t guarantee 15-20 goals a season, especially as I don’t see why he’d take penalties off CB.

Conteh is off to Bristol Rovers, likely to make his debut against us on Saturday. I’ve never seen him play but gets some great reviews.

It was negligent last summer, never mind now. I know we have Goodwin

We definitely need a shake up in midfield. I was mixed about Kane when he was here, started brilliantly and faded badly, but he was superb in the first half last night. Industrious, always in space, always wanted the ball. He doesn't over play and always seems to be in the right position to make a probing pass - very often one touch. Someone like McGuane is the opposite, his instinct is to get the ball and hold on to it. Cam is a bit the same. If I was DB I'd be prioritising that central midfield area to find something different - someone who can set the tempo and control midfield better than either McGuane or Brannagan.
By
It was negligent last summer, never mind now. I know we have Goodwin

We definitely need a shake up in midfield. I was mixed about Kane when he was here, started brilliantly and faded badly, but he was superb in the first half last night. Industrious, always in space, always wanted the ball. He doesn't over play and always seems to be in the right position to make a probing pass - very often one touch. Someone like McGuane is the opposite, his instinct is to get the ball and hold on to it. Cam is a bit the same. If I was DB I'd be prioritising that central midfield area to find something different - someone who can set the tempo and control midfield better than either McGuane or Brannagan.
Exactly. Then we will start to see MM and CB operate as we know they can.
You mention the difference in Kane from when he was here and how he is now. I would suggest that is largely to do with his current manager and how he sets his team up to get the best out of him and the other 9 outfield players. Unsurprising that Barnsley are where they are.
This is no criticism of Des. Early days. I’m sure he will come good. It’s a pity that the Chuckle Brothers aren't doing everything they can to facilitate that. Not least in ensuring he gets the assistants he wants.

Just making the point that he doesn’t guarantee 15-20 goals a season, especially as I don’t see why he’d take penalties off CB.
I don't think the point was ever him coming here? Rovers were willing to spend £800K on him because he is very likely to score at least 15 a season, and the stats back that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom