General Kassam Memories

The helicopter fly over will always be a scary highlight.

Beating Swindon live on BBC
Beano getting sent off early on, then beating them, with the ball boy pissing Ritchie off.
The Bristol Rovers protest, storming the board room.
Floodlight almost falling from the south stand (Kidderminster?)
Relegation to the Conferenceā€¦.. not one I want to remember though.

As above, Swindon - 2012, Luton, York - 2009.

Slightly different tack, but I would, without hesitation, add Cambridge 2022 in to the list - possibly at the very top.
Despite the emotion (or maybe because of it) I found it an incredibly uplifting day that made me fall in love with this football club all over again.

Swindon in the FA Cup was brilliant, I was only 9 years old. Quite a few games from the Conference stick in my mind - tended to be night games with the best atmospheres. Luton obviously, great hard fought game with a moment of sheer class from one of our own. Also the 2-2 against Dagenham, shame we couldn't hold on for the win but Yemi inexplicably turned into Thierry Henry that night.

Went to uni in Sep 2011 and not had a season ticket since.

Favourite memory will be the day we leave the shithole.

It's never felt like home, and I've never been proud to call it home.

Whilst I agree with the physical infrastructure and what the Kassam Stadium entails, itā€™s still where weā€™ve played the majority of our games whether we like it or not. We go to football for the enjoyment (ha!) and the memories and, like The Manor, it has delivered those. It would be weird if it didnā€™t. Weā€™ll remember what occurred more than where they occurred with the Kassam.

Oxford 3-0 Swansea - A odd game that was 0-0 until the 85th minute. We went top of the league under Atkins and I felt that maybe weā€™d turned the corner ā€¦

Oxford 2-1 Cambridge - Ramon Diazā€™s first game.

Oxford 2-0 Rushden and Diamonds - The playoff semi final dealt with and onto Wembley.

Oxford 2-0 Swindon - Swindon won the league but lost both battles to us. A heroic performance after losing Constable so early.

Oxford 3-2 Swansea - A PL team toppled and Roofe deservedly becoming our poster boy.

Oxford 3-0 Wycombe - Promotion secured.

Oxford 3-0 Newcastle - MAppā€™s banging 2016-17 side chalked up another memory. ā€˜Toni Martinez, plays for Oxford with Ledson and Hemminggggggsā€™.

Oxford 1-1 Portsmouth - No one there to see it but we got through it to make a playoff final.

The helicopter fly over will always be a scary highlight.

Beating Swindon live on BBC
Beano getting sent off early on, then beating them, with the ball boy pissing Ritchie off.
The Bristol Rovers protest, storming the board room.
Floodlight almost falling from the south stand (Kidderminster?)
Relegation to the Conferenceā€¦.. not one I want to remember though.
We are right at the back of the east stand so probably the last to know about the helicopter, got to say it s**t the fuckin life out of me, I thought the stand was collapsing.

Best memory, obviously, was Oxford 2 "them" 0. Beano sent of really early in the first half, then amazingly Oxford scoring not once but twice with 10 men to go 2 up. Then an hour of the best backs-to-the-wall defending to win the game. Amazing day, the celebrations went on long into the evening.
That was like defending the Alamo. Weird how what was undoubtedly one of the most stressful and tense games we've watched at the breeze block was also one of the most enjoyable.

The best memory is obviously Lee Molyneaux slamming a free kick towards goal that was destined for the top corner until Bash headed it in to the opposite corner against Wycombe in 04/05. I'll never forgive Bash for stealing the glory from my Lee...

I emigrated the year after we moved to the Kassam, so only have a few experiences to draw on:
  • Joey's last goal for OUFC - a cracker, and at the time we thought he was back for good :cry:
  • Seeing 3 great games last time I was in the UK:
    • Man City - great atmosphere, some great footy, and the atmosphere when Matty scored our goal
    • Wycombe - not a great performance, but we beat them! (James Henry goal)
    • Hartlepool in the FA Cup - Shandon wonder goal!
  • Spending time in the PA announcer's box before the Wycombe game and meeting Nathan and the RadOx team (I was a PA announcer in NZ at the time, so it was a 'fact finding' trip! - thanks OUFC :))

I remember the optimism of the first game on a hot summerā€™s afternoon against Palace.

The stand out moment for me was the Luton game. After years in the conference with low attendances and next to no away fans, it was brilliant to experience Oxford in a big match with a full stadium, and what a result!!

I would also add beating Yeovil 2-0 in the FA cup to the list, possibly the 08/09 season? They were two divisions above us, and it felt like we were really starting to build momentum to get ourselves out of the conference.
It was Wilderā€™s first test against higher league opposition

Swindon 2012, R & D play-off game, Wycombe (O'Dowda's goal roof came off)

A strange memory but the roof also felt like it came off the place when Ruffels lobbed the Wycombe keeper to beat them 2-1.

Also remember some great Tuesday night games over the years. Long journeys home but some good games.

while its been a sanitised, soulless and fuckingfreezing cold experience most of the time- there have been a few noteworthy memories during the time spent there so far

some of which have already been recounted above in this thread as well as undoubtedly others to follow too

three of my favorites all involve proper, full blooded and victorious home games v Sw*nd*n

after his team lost Di Canio crouched down in exasperated, frustrated anger on the touchline- yeah, fuckoff Di Canio indeed

As the teams came out the ultras (rip) rolled out that giant surfer - robin impaled on an Oxs horn- iconic moment

We'd beaten them 5 times in a row, on the final whistle of the game making it 6 in a row, the spontaneous chant blasting forth from home supporters- aimed at the dejected away support- Six in a row, six in a row, just like your fingers, six in a row - terrace humour at its best

Last edited:
Ricky Sappleton's debut against Salisbury back in the day. Not actually sure why it's particularly memorable. I just really enjoyed that game.

All the wins against Swindon, the place is a fortress against them C***s so maybe we should leave it standing just for those fixtures.

Rushden play off second leg and securing our second ever trip to Wembley, 24 years after the first and the first to the rebuilt Wembley, and starting to believe we could actually get back in the football league. The Luton home game in that promotion season.

2015/16 promotion season, the football we played with the highlights being beating Swansea in the cup, beating Millwall at home to get to Wembley for only the third time in the paint pot, then cruising to a 3-0 win over Wycombe to seal promotion in the final game at home, plenty of good games that season and its probably the stand out of our time at the Kassam.

Since being in league one we have had the cup games against big teams quite regularly, West Ham my personal favourite because we won and in such convincing style.

It's not a ton of memories for such a long time but we were pretty awful for the first 8 years there.

Back
Top Bottom