General Kassam Memories

My uunderstanding is that the latest safety regulations dictate that you must be able to drive a emergency vehicle around the outside of the pitch.

My uunderstanding is that the latest safety regulations dictate that you must be able to drive a emergency vehicle around the outside of the pitch.
Newer grounds don’t seem to have that. My understanding was that we did this to comply with some regulation that would have allowed us to mount international youth matches or similar. That’s what someone told me at the time.

This was extremely close to never happening. I only told the security officer prior to the game that we had an Ox Head surfer and a banner saying "Oxford United" at the top. That was all good until he saw us setting up on the day and knew it couldn't just be that. I came clean as late as possible*, just hours before kick-off in fact, I knew from experience this would have been a straight "no chance" in advance.

We had a good relationship with him over the years and he had no issues but due to the nature of the design he had to leave the decision to the Police Superintendent in charge on the day. A nerve jangling hour wait and we got the green light, only then did he admit to us that the superintendent was an Oxford fan and he knew he'd give it a thumbs up.

I still never admitted to "Robins on the run" being on the banner but thought that would be a nice surprise for both of them :ROFLMAO:

*I also never said the Robin was bleeding and there as a pool of blood on the pitch...
Makes a great mug print too!

Back
Top Bottom