Away Match Day Thread 02/04/2021 L1 Sunderland v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sykes didn’t go for that people would have questioned his desire.
In front of goal and maybe putting us 2:1 up, he has to go for it.

Which means he needs to be faster, and more in control.

It’s not hatred you little sycophantic drama queen. Geez you accuse others of being extreme !

We are assessing that we rate our other players higher and he’s not shown sufficient capability so far to advance our squad to championship standard

Calm down sweetheart!!!

I had to go into work so missed the last 10 minutes. What was it that Grayson did? I know he gave the ball away for their 3rd, but some of the reaction seems a little extreme! It was sloppy as it looks like we could have still pushed for an equaliser, but he's not the first player to have had his pocket picked and won't be the last.

Obviously he may have kicked a puppy in the face or spilt Ribena on someone's new rug to justify some of the hatred on here!
During a spell in which we were 2-1 down, absolutely hammering Sunderland looking for an equaliser, the likes of Dan Agyei (who after his miss which you were happy for him to be roasted by Robinson for was apparently in tears sat on the pitch, inconsolable) was busting a gut making runs and smashing in crosses, Sam Winnall was throwing himself at headers and Elliot Moore was defending with his life, Grayson made a stupid, lazy, sloppy pass, when he was under little pressure, and lost us the game. Then, at the full time whistle, he didn’t drop to his haunches, he didn’t hang his head, he didn’t storm off the pitch, he acted exactly like I’ve seen players act at the end of a pre-season friendly, having a chat, wandering around, air of nonchalance about him.

I didn’t say and don’t think that his loan should be cancelled or he should never be allowed back at the club or anything, but I can guarantee you that Cameron Brannigan didn’t and doesn’t ever act like that after making a mistake to lose us the game. Players who either care about the club, or are natural winners, battlers, don’t act like that.

To be fair there’s no reason for him to care especially apart from maybe a bit of professional pride, or respect for his teammates and the club which pays his wages, but I think it’s fair for fans to want to see the likes of Chambers-Parrilon given a chance over him from now on.

Why does every defeat result in the same hysterical over reaction? Grayson is the latest person to get the "never wear the shirt again" treatment. But over the last couple of months we've seen similar thrown at Kelly, Hanson, Sykes, Shodipo, Barker, Henry, Hall, Taylor, Winnall, Agyei, Gorrin etc. Earlier this season we were told that Atkinson and McGuane were not good enough, Eastwood got dog abuse, and Sean Clare was the worst signing we've ever had (until he left when he suddenly became amazing!!)

This season is unlike anything we've seen before. There are back to back games for weeks on end with other times where its stop/start and it's hard to get any type of rhythm as a player. I think we've seen with Henry that he was knackered as well as carrying injuries, and a couple of weeks out has done him the world of good. We've also seen with McGuane earlier in the season and Brannagan more recently just how long it takes to get up to speed.

Everyone has a role to play, and everyone will make mistakes! Criticism is fair, but if we listened to some on here then we'd never be able to field a team with do many players dumped out of the club!

And this is coming on the back of a really strong performance. We battled hard and deserved at least a point away against a club likely to go up automatically whilst having several players out. It's not going to be easy, but there's plenty to look forward to with the remaining 8 games and 6 wins are certainly possible, and that may give us a chance.

Maybe a few more sycophantic drama queens are needed rather the usual miseries on here!!

We absolutely cannot go through an entire season with around five defenders, including just the two full backs, and expect to do anything. We simply have to acquire adequate defensive cover ahead of next season. There is no excuse. Robinson can’t just keep lobbing midfielders into the full back positions when something happens and going, “What’s the problem? They can do a job.”

We routinely play three central midfielders and two wingers, regardless of the exact nature of the formation. 433, 4231, 4141 - doesn’t matter which. It’s three central midfield and two wide spots no matter how you slice it. Yet we generally have the following competing for them:

Gorrin
Hanson
Brannagan
Kelly
Sykes
Forde
Henry
Shodipo
Barker
Lee
Hall

That is more than two players for each spot. Plus McGuane who is out injured. Plus Chambers-Parillon who has made a few appearances for the first team recently. We’ve shoved Agyei into one of these five spots time and again; Grayson started in one of these five spots at Northampton and came on in one of them again today. We’ve also got Cooper and Clare out on loan who would be competing for one of these five spots otherwise. Yet we can’t seem to get more than five players, six if we’re really, really lucky, to cover four spots at the back.

It really has to be fixed, because over the course of a season be it through injury, suspension, sheer fatigue or a lack of competition, you will pay the price if you constantly run the defence on empty. We’ve even got three centre forwards competing for one spot at present (plus a fourth on loan at Walsall), but only five competing for four spots in defence. That is just absurd. We’ve got seven players for five spots at the back if you include the goalkeeper position, and 15/16 for six spots going the other way. That is evidence that we don’t recruit based on what we need to ensure a balanced squad that can get us though nine months and 50+ games, but rather we scoop up a load of players and then figure out what to do with them later.

Sorry to bang on, but you mentioned it so I’m going to follow on. I was practically begging for proper defensive depth all summer long on the transfer thread, so I’m well within my rights to have a moan having seen us play two centre midfielders at full back today, because we’ve got f**k all cover. This is the sort of thing that is the difference between top two and top six, or top six and top half come the end of the season.

Completely agree with this. It made me laugh out loud when we played Charlton at home. RB Adam Matthews had to be taken off due to injury and they subbed on Chris Gunter. The RadOx commentators were talking about that being the difference between the sides, that big clubs like Charlton could afford 2 genuine right backs. We absolutely could afford that luxury too, we just choose not to. We seem to take a bizarre approach with the defence in that we pick a back four and then believe they will just perform game after game never dropping in performance or fitness levels. The fact that even when we do sign cover (McNally) he’s pretty much told from the start that he won’t play is insane.

As he and Taylor were the only 2 we had in the box at the time, can’t question his pace or desire
After everything that may of gone on yesterday, asking someone to back out of trying to score in front of the goal.
that is questioning someone’s commitment

I watched a different game to some of you it seems. I’m so proud of our performance against a very very good side. I was really impressed with Sunderland and thats about the first time I can say that since they were in the prem! They looked very assured on the ball, for once hardworking and actually knew what they were doing. As opposed to throwing money at big time Charlie’s and expecting that’s enough.
I thought we matched them for long spells and even bettered them. We created some good chances which only excellent defending kept us out. On another day one of them goes in and we don’t need to push so hard for the equaliser.
The result is disappointing as was the ref but overall we played well. playing well and losing I can handle it’s the terrible performances against teams like Northampton that get my goat.

The reason we won't get into the playoffs is that there are ten teams above us - over the last eight games we have to play we have to be at least four points better than at least five of them and six of them have a game or two in hand on us as well.

Not consistent enough, an unbalanced squad and what looks like relatively poor business in the summer and a bad start (again) has done for us this season.
There are loads of “6 pointers” amongst those teams and we only have gillingham to play so no teams getting full points.

If most of us could have written the script for this game beforehand it would have been how it actually went e.g. going 1-0 up, having a player sent off plus manager and finally losing. Oh and that the referee would be shite and that this would be the talking point of the match.

It’s such a shame as it was a good game when 11 v 11, and we definitely deserved at least a point.

Well now it’s time to focus on the next match (Monday) and put this one behind us.

If most of us could have written the script for this game beforehand it would have been how it actually went e.g. going 1-0 up, having a player sent off plus manager and finally losing. Oh and that the referee would be shite and that this would be the talking point of the match.

It’s such a shame as it was a good game when 11 v 11, and we definitely deserved at least a point.

Well now it’s time to focus on the next match (Monday) and put this one behind us.
When you see Kettles name you know it’s going to be a shite refereeing display.
Even when we’ve won with him in charge he’s been slated in the past.

Considering the season we know the squad is unbalanced but we've got alot of good players 6 more new faces and we will be up there next year . And I still think Agyei will come good he always does something good. We are not finished yet but they always say the full picture starts to appear after Easter.

Just seen the highlights as I could only listen yesterday
1. Kettle is actually talking to their player who tackled Branagan and isn’t even watching play. The free kick is not taken from the right place
2. If Powers goal celebration isn’t incitement I don’t know what is. Surely some fine is warranted
3. Excellent finish from Henry
4 Sykes has every right to go for the ball and we would moan if he didnt

Win on Monday and that 6 points from Lincoln, Sunderland and Accrington which is more than many were predicting. Then bring on a 10 game winning run to take us up!! Believe!

I don’t understand this ‘right’ to go for the ball. I can see why he was tempted into it, but you don’t have some god-given right to lunge for a ball, miss it, and kick an opposition player. That’s a booking all day long, and when you’re on a yellow with a dodgy ref on the pitch you have to show some brains and consciously reign yourself in

Yes as a Ref he's got to look at his performance and be embarrassed but when you go to the bigger clubs it happens so often in favour of the home side.

Sykes shouldn't have gone for it. We need stronger midfield players which I hope will be addressed preseason. A part from the wingers central mid there aren't enough goals. We need better quality in there . There are better players thank Sykes going forward.

Sykes cost us a point and should have been taken off at half time.

Not good enough of a player so probably his last game for the club.
Hope so - stupid performance knowing what a tool Kettle is - and commits thee niggly stupid fouls almost every game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom