Away Match Day Thread 21/5/2021 Playoff L1 Blackpool FC V OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its called getting behind your team everyone banters other teams.

There were plenty of face masks worn but I took mine off after a while, after chanting so much its hard to breathe, plus was nowhere near anyone.

Everyone was spread out. There were st holders in their groups of families etc but they are allowed together.

Also I dont get you argument, the wider rules are people are allowed in groups of upto 30 people outside at pubs for eg. But yet outside in a stadium you dont like a few people near each other, but its ok at a pub........not sure why its one rule for one set of people somewhere and different rules here.

Anyway was a nervy game, we conceded a few sloppy goals unusually, scored some good ones too.

Oxford played well in spells we kind of sat back and defended what we had a little too much but I suppose circumstances can make that happen.

I would have liked us to keep the ball a bit better like we can at times.

But we got the job done and has some great attacking moments.

Hard luck and you kept going and didn't give up so fair play.
You weren’t all spread out there was quite a large group not following social distancing and we’re not wearing masks which was a prerequisite for the return of fans.
Onto the game if we had played the 1st leg like we did last night the game might have been a lot tighter but fare play to Blackpool and good luck in the final if it’s Sunderland you play I hope you smash them but if it’s Lincoln then may the best team win.

I'm over critical of Blackpool at times, the mistakes sometimes take more focus than they should. Sometimes looking for perfection i have to remember its league 1.

I know our strengths but its nice to read about the pace and power comments from some and other fans perspective.

Its always interesting to read the comments, sometimes when oxford had the ball im nervous thinking ffs just get it and keep it ourselves and we were sitting too deep, even though we were never really close in score it was just nervy.

But our strike force is pretty decent, Simms is big and strong and can score all types of goals and Jerry is a pest and a good finisher.

We also have pace and skill in mithchell and others.

When we made changes we took off our best defender and who came on used to be our best defender also but he's not played really in months. Plus other changes to key players like Simms going off, we had some good chances later on and if it had fell to Simms he'd probably put one away.

It was just one of those games where goals were going in, each time you scored it seemed to spur us on and up we went and scored again thankfully for us.

Your not a bad side and with nothing really to lose tonight it felt like the pressure was kind if on us, especially after the early goal, that could have changed the course but the response was first class, snuffed out any hopes early on.

I just think our style can counter yours well on occasion, your passing can be slick but most the problems for us came from longer balls not dealt with when they have been most the season.

Anyways what an atmosphere for only 4k, absolutely hoarse.

Youve just got to keep plugging away and try again next season, you'll be in and around the top 6 I'm sure. Whether with Mr Robinson or not, don't really like him as a character what what I've seen of him and his comments didn't seem to match what we saw in the first leg. 🤷
You’re one step away from ruffling our hair and giving us 10p to get some sweets with.

Time to leave, sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
We gave it a go, not too bothered about going up just now anyway.

There is a huge gap between L1 and the championship and I don't think we can fund that gap just now.

Well done to Blackpool and their fans who created a good atmosphere, see what can happen if a support actually has some songs folks..

Proud of this club, up the U's!

Wow that Taylor is some dirty player, on any other day he could have had 3 red cards! Instead the Blackpool goalkeeper (and captain) gets a yellow card for questioning why an offside decision wasn't given when 3 Oxford players were 10 yards offside! Ballard had his eyes gouged. Stewart had studs down his knees. Maxwell had a late challenge on his ankle. All went without punishment. How bad are officials? We have had so many reds for much less.
And there was I thinking it was women who didn’t understand the offside rule. Should have been two red cards for your team at ours and cry baby husband should have been booked. Last night Turton should have had two yellows. It’s all ifs and but s and we move on you’re in the final if your playing Sunderland then may then cry with another defeat if it’s Lincoln May the best team win.

We gave it a go, not too bothered about going up just now anyway.

There is a huge gap between L1 and the championship and I don't think we can fund that gap just now.

Well done to Blackpool and their fans who created a good atmosphere, see what can happen if a support actually has some songs folks..

Proud of this club, up the U's!
Yes when they’re not wearing masks they sound louder oh and off course when they’re not socially distancing

I point you to the goal of the season.
That was the game, and the moment, when I thought he'd arrived, and was gonna really kick on, but since his injury, he reverted to type, where he looks very disinterested, until he receives the ball, and no meaningful tracking back.

He actually reminds me of Darren Huckerby (if anyone even remembers him) who had bags of talent, and could've been an England legend, in an era when England were screaming out for a left winger, but he also was only ever interested when he had the ball at his feet, which meant, like Barker does, he disappeared in games too often, and ended up fading away into obscurity, at a relatively young age, having never reached the heights he should have.

Barker needs a rocket up the a**e from someone, as he won't fulfil his potential, unless he massively increases his work rate without the ball.

I'm over critical of Blackpool at times, the mistakes sometimes take more focus than they should. Sometimes looking for perfection i have to remember its league 1.

I know our strengths but its nice to read about the pace and power comments from some and other fans perspective.

Its always interesting to read the comments, sometimes when oxford had the ball im nervous thinking ffs just get it and keep it ourselves and we were sitting too deep, even though we were never really close in score it was just nervy.

But our strike force is pretty decent, Simms is big and strong and can score all types of goals and Jerry is a pest and a good finisher.

When we made changes we took off our best defender and who came on used to be our best defender also but he's not played really in months. Plus other changes to key players like Simms going off, we had some good chances later on and if it had fell to Simms he'd probably put one away.

It was just one of those games where goals were going in, each time you scored it seemed to spur us on and up we went and scored again thankfully for us.

Your not a bad side and with nothing really to lose tonight it felt like the pressure was kind if on us, especially after the early goal, that could have changed the course but the response was first class, snuffed out any hopes early on.

I just think our style can counter yours well on occasion, your passing can be slick but most the problems for us came from longer balls not dealt with when they have been most the season.

Youve just got to keep plugging away and try again next season, you'll be in and around the top 6 I'm sure. Whether with Mr Robinson or not, don't really like him as a character what what I've seen of him and his comments didn't seem to match what we saw in the first leg. 🤷

If you go up, you really need to get Ellis Simms back as he is a class above L1 imo. You'll need to add a fair bit more I'd suggest as well across your team.

Last edited:

Cheers for writing 200 words on how quick your strikers are. Literally none of us care.

That was the game, and the moment, when I thought he'd arrived, and was gonna really kick on, but since his injury, he reverted to type, where he looks very disinterested, until he receives the ball, and no meaningful tracking back.

He actually reminds me of Darren Huckerby (if anyone even remembers him) who had bags of talent, and could've been an England legend, in an era when England were screaming out for a left winger, but he also was only ever interested when he had the ball at his feet, which meant, like Barker does, he disappeared in games too often, and ended up fading away into obscurity, at a relatively young age, having never reached the heights he should have.

Barker needs a rocket up the a**e from someone, as he won't fulfil his potential, unless he massively increases his work rate without the ball.

Yes I remember Darren Huckerby, that really is a blast from the past.

On Barker, I think he performs better the longer he has a run of games. I really do think he wasn't fully fit for these games and it showed but KR took a punt, imo, as he can give us something different. It was noticeable in Barker's last run of games pre-injury that his defending and tracking back was getting pretty decent which meant Ruffels was having far more impact going forward.

Robinson’s mentality is that you only have to beat the cannon fodder of the league, it kind of falls down when you get a play off spot where you have to beat the better teams, I like his passion but I think he needs to change his thinking on how to beat the better teams in whatever league we are in, I noticed again last night that faz was giving his advice.
Fair play to Blackpool,over the two legs they were the better team and rightly go into the final, I just hope if blunderland get there they beat them.

Well done to Karl and the lads for salvaging a bit of pride last night, thought we played well but the damage was done in the first leg. I think it has been a good season in the end especially considering where we were in the league in mid December. We have established ourselves as a top end league one club and hopefully that will help in recruiting for next season so that we can take the next step up into the championship.
I think I would prefer Lincoln to win the playoffs now

If you look closely at Blackpool’s third goal at our place Barker pulls out of a tackle big time which led directly to them out manning us . It really is poor he actually takes his leg away. This is the trouble with loan players who are not committed
However if Stevan Gerrard sees that there is no way he is going back to Rangers

Oh what a crime!
Still illegal and issues have been put in place to make sure that we can all return safely to our door sports. But if people want to be idiots and we have another spike and further lockdowns are put in place the lower leaflets won’t survive. It’s common sense really but as there a lot of people who don’t have any hope they don’t creybud we are in lockdown again especially if clubs go out of business.
but who knows after that shambolic organisation in part of the Blackpool ground last night the EFL May act.

Robinson’s mentality is that you only have to beat the cannon fodder of the league, it kind of falls down when you get a play off spot where you have to beat the better teams, I like his passion but I think he needs to change his thinking on how to beat the better teams in whatever league we are in, I noticed again last night that faz was giving his advice.
Fair play to Blackpool,over the two legs they were the better team and rightly go into the final, I just hope if blunderland get there they beat them.

Is that his mentality, where did you get that from?

We certainly didn't have that mentality in the previous season. In the 19/20 seson we beat Ipswich, Peterborough (twice), Wycombe, Rotherham, West Ham and drew with Pompey (3 times), Coventry, Sunderland (twice), Ipswich, Millwall.

Is that his mentality, where did you get that from?

We certainly didn't have that mentality in the previous season. In the 19/20 seson we beat Ipswich, Peterborough (twice), Wycombe, Rotherham, West Ham and drew with Pompey (3 times), Coventry, Sunderland (twice), Ipswich, Millwall.
I think there's probably been a shift, but I can't really put my finger on why. In previous seasons we beat the bigger sides but failed against the ones lower down. We always looked pretty good against the better performing sides because they played in an expansive way that we could exploit, but then struggled against the sides that sat back and were physical.

This season though there's been a tilt shift, where we can blow away teams lower down, normally with a goal in the first quarter of the game helping us on our way. But with that we've completely lost the ability to beat the bigger sides. We're too exposed defensively, don't have enough experience in the back line and in the team in general to coach us through the difficult games, and the opposition seem to have the number on our wingers like Barker and Lee. Neutralise that threat whilst taking chances at the other end with high-pressing and counter-attacking and you've found a way to beat us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom