Away Match Day Thread 24/8/21 Carabao Cup: QPR v OUFC

Disclaimer - I wasn't there and only listened on iFollow.

Dan Agyei is so frustrating. The last third of the season he was unplayable at times even if only in 30 minute bursts. He was coming on in wide positions and terrifying defences. The stats only showed a few goals and assists, but he gave us so much more.

This season Dan just hasn't clicked. He might not be playing in his preferred positions, and the service hasn't been great. But what I have seen, and heard tonight, is a player that appears to have lost the fight and desire that made him so valuable last season.

I hope he remains, but if we've got money to spend, I can see that he may be moved on to make space for others. It could be an interesting few days.
I think he’s a confidence player and if the other day is anything to go by (Karl having a go at him virtually every time he had the ball), then I think he gets in two minds. He’s better when he just does what he thinks he should do which probably suits him to come on rather than start, unless he’s played up top.

I also think he doesn’t have 90mins in him.

At the moment I’d bring him on for 25/30mins to give him game time with not a lot to lose/pressure on him.

Having said that he was poor tonight, especially 1st half. Didn’t show enough and when he did get the ball he invariably lost it or forgot to take it with him!!

Surely if you are playing a young and inexperienced player out of position , (also against higher opposition,) the first thing you do is make sure he is adequately assisted with cover in front of him? LCP was on a hiding to nothing out there tonight. He got absolutely no support for about twenty minutes of that first half and they were picking him off at will . Felt for him.

I think he’s a confidence player and if the other day is anything to go by (Karl having a go at him virtually every time he had the ball), then I think he gets in two minds. He’s better when he just dies what he thinks he should do which probably suits him to come on rather than start, unless he’s played up top.

I also think he doesn’t have 90mins in him.

At the moment I’d bring him on for 25/30mins to give him game time with not a lot to lose/pressure on him.

Having said that he was poor tonight, especially 1st half. Didn’t show enough and when he did get the ball he invariably lost it or forget to take it with him!!

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Disclaimer - I wasn't there and only listened on iFollow.

Dan Agyei is so frustrating. The last third of the season he was unplayable at times even if only in 30 minute bursts. He was coming on in wide positions and terrifying defences. The stats only showed a few goals and assists, but he gave us so much more.

This season Dan just hasn't clicked. He might not be playing in his preferred positions, and the service hasn't been great. But what I have seen, and heard tonight, is a player that appears to have lost the fight and desire that made him so valuable last season.

I hope he remains, but if we've got money to spend, I can see that he may be moved on to make space for others. It could be an interesting few days.

I too can’t comment on tonight’s game specifically so my comments are on Agyei more generally.

That’s now 76 appearances for Agyei now and quite frankly I would expect a 24 year old to be showing some improvement by now. Every player develops at different rates and quite frankly if we don’t see it soon, I doubt we ever will. KR has said it himself that Agyei could be whatever he wants to be. Be it a mental block, lack of confidence or - as I now fear it to be - a lack of ability to apply his evident potential, he looks exposed to be no better than this level. Is he any better than the raw talent we saw join us in 2019?

He won’t ever be a natural finisher like Taylor but he should be proving himself as a focal point. Some may argue that he doesn’t play in his best position enough. There’s truth in this however his pace and power should be useful as a winger too. I fear he simply doesn’t have it in him to really push on.

A good player at tiers 3-4 but one that a side looking to get up to the next level needs? Not so sure personally.

Just back. Great atmosphere from us, pretty much none stop singing.

I thought our two CB's did really well. We got roasted down both flanks, primarily LCP's side, which was a shame, as he shows promise going forwards with the ball, but was left wanting tonight in terms of defending. Was a big ask putting him in against a championship team.

I think I've seen Winnall enough now to see and know his legs are shot. He is what he is, and he's not league anymore. He could hardly run, let a lone sprint. And he doesn't hold up play, or bring players in.

I'm not sure yet if there were injuries to Taylor, Bodin or Williams, but if not, I am annoyed with Kr for disrespecting the cup and not bringing at least Taylor on around 65 minutes for Winnall. And Williams would've torn them a new one tonight.

Dickie's goal was sublime, as was his lack of celebration in front of us.

Did anyone see hat pocket of QPR fans giving it large just a long the side/in the corner? Maroon jumper especially was a proper bellend.

Overall, again it is great to be back at live football with a lot of our fans.

Yeah I was disappointed on Saturday with Agyei on his 75th appearance for the club. He had a full 4 minutes to show an improvement and bang home an equaliser for us. Just like in most of his appearances for us which are simply injury time cameos.

No opportunity.
No support.
Out of position.

Poor lad.

Yeah I was disappointed on Saturday with Agyei on his 75th appearance for the club. He had a full 4 minutes to show an improvement and bang home an equaliser for us. Just like in most of his appearances for us which are simply injury time cameos.

No opportunity.
No support.
Out of position.

Poor lad.
What about today then?
Plenty of opportunity, in some people on here preferred position ( and also his preferred position on the right)
Plenty of the ball and opportunity to run at people.

Oh, I don't know, couple of pizza games, subbed on in a game where we don't lose players in different positions with injury/illnesses.
Sure we'll see plenty of him at some stage, just be patient....
Hope so

Dickie is a class act and what a goal that was. Mind you, where was the challenge ? He just strode forward at will and picked his spot. The frustrating thing is that he scored a near identical goal against Millwall recently and surely that was pointed out pre match ?

I thought Brannagan upped our tempo and added a bit of bite and it was Whyte’s best showing since he returned. No one disgraced themselves and the two young lads did well. LCP had an iffy five minutes when he lost a bit of concentration but on the whole he played well. Johnson, at the end, doesn’t look the most robust but he sprayed a few nice passes out to Whyte as well as getting stuck in. Good to see Moore back too.

My overriding observation though is the desperate need for a target man. We needed someone to physically bully Dickie & Co but bar a shove from Agyei on Dickie there was no real physicality. Not sure if Harrison is the answer but he’d undoubtedly add something to an otherwise very predictable attack.

Bit disappointed (only from the radio commentary though) with Agyei. He is going to have to shine in one of the chances he's given or he'll be forever 'unfulfilled potential'.
Was undecided about Agyei, but his performance today didn't help his cause one bit.
Playing out wide he helped out defensively so little, and then when centre forward didn't really do much either.

I’m all for applauding Dickie’s goal (helluva strike, but we gave him far too much space), and applauding him when he went off at 88 minutes but the ‘love in’ from then on got a bit cringeworthy. Had to feel for Moore and McNally as the chant of ‘We want our Dickie back’ rang out..again…and again.
Spirited performance tonight but we were shown just what’s needed to compete in the league above, we moved the ball very well at times but QPR’s movement and passing was next level.

I’m all for applauding Dickie’s goal (helluva strike, but we gave him far too much space), and applauding him when he went off at 88 minutes but the ‘love in’ from then on got a bit cringeworthy. Had to feel for Moore and McNally as the chant of ‘We want our Dickie back’ rang out..again…and again.
Spirited performance tonight but we were shown just what’s needed to compete in the league above, we moved the ball very well at times but QPR’s movement and passing was next level.
They were just that bit sharper with their decision making and, as you say, movement. We aren’t a million miles away but it was a level up,from anything we will face in L1 this season.

Dickie is a class act and what a goal that was. Mind you, where was the challenge ? He just strode forward at will and picked his spot. The frustrating thing is that he scored a near identical goal against Millwall recently and surely that was pointed out pre match ?

I thought Brannagan upped our tempo and added a bit of bite and it was Whyte’s best showing since he returned. No one disgraced themselves and the two young lads did well. LCP had an iffy five minutes when he lost a bit of concentration but on the whole he played well. Johnson, at the end, doesn’t look the most robust but he sprayed a few nice passes out to Whyte as well as getting stuck in. Good to see Moore back too.

My overriding observation though is the desperate need for a target man. We needed someone to physically bully Dickie & Co but bar a shove from Agyei on Dickie there was no real physicality. Not sure if Harrison is the answer but he’d undoubtedly add something to an otherwise very predictable attack.
The defenders had to split themselves between 3 of their players e.g. 3 against 2, so if they had committed then Dickie would have just needed to pass to the free player, so I actually felt the defenders made the right choice which was to allow Dickie a free hit from 20+ yards as it would have to be something special to score from that distance plus beat the keeper and unfortunately for us it was special.

Back
Top Bottom