Home Match Day Thread 11/9/2021 L1: OUFC V Wycombe Wanderers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our fixtures have been very generous so far, we're definitely 4-5 points short versus where we should be. As we've shown in previous years, we're unlikely to recoup these points against the better teams.
The better teams like Lincoln and Charlton who were both expected to challenge for promotion? Or Bolton who put 5 past Ipswich yesterday and are currently 3rd? Or Wimbledon who are 4th?

One goal yesterday, which we more than deserved on the second hand showing and we finish the day in 3rd ourselves.

I think his distribution is not as good or as quick as last season.
Yesterday, for example, he often didn't give the ball out quickly when there were players shouting for it, and the times he did it was quite wayward and at least once actually threw it out to a Wycombe player.
Granted he didn't kick the ball directly out of play yesterday, but has done so quite often in other games this season.

He did make a couple of very good saves though.
I agree, but his quick distribution was a shambles in the first game v Cambridge, I reckon he's been instructed to slow down and think about it more.

We didn't deserve to win yesterday. First half was Wycombe's and second half was ours. Wycombe had much clearer chances overall.

Agyei came on way too late (surprise), Taylor looked isolated, it's another opportunity missed thanks to the tactical inflexibility of KR.
Normally I’m keen to see subs if we aren’t winning but yesterday I thought the team was looking strong in the second half and could see a goal coming. I also really didn’t want to lose that one so didn’t mind us being a bit cautious.

It still doesn’t feel like we’ve quite got going, but if that’s the case we have at least got a decent number of points even when not at our best.

Shodipo had barely played a game before coming to us, and Barker was frustratingly inconsistent. I think it's a little unfair to dismiss Whyte, Holland, Bodin and Williams as being worse than the options we had last season.

I also think that Thorniley didn't have the greatest of games yesterday but is far better than the Rob Atkinson who started last season. Atkinson improved and was part of a much stronger defence once we had a settled side. Long, Moore, Thorniley and Seddon look incredibly strong for this level and arguably stronger than last season.

Taylor is struggling, but he also struggled at the beginning of last season until we found some consistency and rhythm throughout the side. If it wasn't for some very good blocks, then Taylor scores a couple of tap in yesterday and all is forgiven. He will come good.

So there are positives there, and our league position shows that we're heading in the right direction. Sykes shoots instead of passing, or the ball getting turned in by Taylor and we finish the day in 3rd!
I'm certainly not dismissing any of those players Sir Egg, I'm just not yet totally convinced they are improvements on last season. I actually stated on this thread I want to give Bodin a start/more of a chance.

I think your point about Taylor is the same as my point about Taylor in a way, he seems to want it on a plate. When it's not happening, sometimes you have to exhaust yourself running for the shirt a la the magical Danny Hylton. How many lost causes did he chase yesterday? How many runs down the channel did he make?

I couldn't help but find myself agreeing with this Wycombe fans analysis of the game on their forum:

"I actually thought Oxford looked pretty dangerous, I was certainly uncomfortable for most of the second half, and still feel Brannagan could comfortably play in the championship and should leave soon if he wants to test himself there...

Finally - I felt that Oxford’s attitude was poor. A number of times Robinson tried to encourage them to press and get up for the fight (in a similar way that GA does). The difference is that rather than fighting for their manager, they just seemed to mope around almost as if they were too good for it. I think that attitude problem is the main reason that they’re not a championship club at the moment."

We have technically gifted players but they don't seem to "graft" (to my eyes) in the way a team like Wycombe or Wimbledon do. Of course, I exclude Brannagan from that who's attitude was first class yesterday.

I want to share your positivity Eggman, but I have serious doubts we will make the play-offs. I am almost certain we will be nowhere in the discussion of automatics. Sometimes we will look really good this season, particularly when we are allowed to play our football at home. However, teams that are up for the fight will take too many points off us for us to be a serious contender.

To be promoted automatically you need a plan B and plan C. I don't see that in us. I also think we are light up front, I'm not convinced our wingers are an improvement and I wonder about the desire sometimes.

I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced.

Last edited:
The better teams like Lincoln and Charlton who were both expected to challenge for promotion? Or Bolton who put 5 past Ipswich yesterday and are currently 3rd? Or Wimbledon who are 4th?

One goal yesterday, which we more than deserved on the second hand showing and we finish the day in 3rd ourselves.
Of the teams we've played, only Bolton will be top 6 by end of season.

I am more frustrated than negative - we could be in a really good position though.

While we are on the subject of yesterday's game, why on earth do we have no ball boys? I am presuming it is some sort of Covid thing, but surely it would be OK both for them and the players if they were wearing gloves/mask and had a bottle of hand sanitiser?

As it was, the ball was either being thrown back unsanitised by members of the crowd and/or random stewards (which is just as bad, if not worse) or not being thrown back at all, which made the whole affair even slower. Or are we allowed to use a multiball system as in early pandemic days?

Whichever, it might have helped us to see a bit more actual football.

Last edited:

The problem is where is it or where should it have come from. Should Agyei have come on sooner, I think so with at least 30 mins to go, should we have changed our system to counteract what Wycombe we’re doing more than likely, was Whyte supposed to be a winger yesterday? Absolutely. These are issues that I hope have given KR and the coaching team food for thought in preparation for next weeks game at a pretty decent Cheltenham side.

While we are on the subject of yesterday's game, why on earth do we have no ball boys? I am presuming it is some sort of Covid thing, but surely it would be OK both for them and the players if they were wearing gloves/mask and had a bottle of hand sanitiser?

As it was, the ball was either being thrown back unsanitised by members of the crowd and/or random stewards (which is just as bad, if not worse) or not being thrown back at all, which made the whole affair even slower. Or are we allowed to use a multiball system as in early pandemic days?

Whichever, it might have help us to see a bit more actual football.
I thought the Oxford youth acted as ball boys. But you could be right about the covid thing although why were no footballs on the sidelines like they were last year so the out of play ball could be sanatised.

I think his distribution is not as good or as quick as last season.
Yesterday, for example, he often didn't give the ball out quickly when there were players shouting for it, and the times he did it was quite wayward and at least once actually threw it out to a Wycombe player.
Granted he didn't kick the ball directly out of play yesterday, but has done so quite often in other games this season.

He did make a couple of very good saves though.

opinions allowed but honestly no idea !

I thought the Oxford youth acted as ball boys. But you could be right about the covid thing although why were no footballs on the sidelines like they were last year so the out of play ball could be sanatised.
Rosie said on commentary that it was some contractual obligation regarding the advertising boarding. I think he went down and overruled it towards the end of the second half.

Rosie said on commentary that it was some contractual obligation regarding the advertising boarding. I think he went down and overruled it towards the end of the second half.
I must be going loopy then, because there were numerous times all through the second half where the Wycombe keeper trudged towards the ball behind his goal line as if he was wading through treacle - and there was never a ball boy to throw it back to him unless it went completely over the silly animated hoardings - and even then it was usually a member of the crowd throwing it back. We used to have a few ball boys dotted around the perimeter and that's what I'd like to see if we can't have the multiball system.

Just to say spot on with this .
But also .
Yes we had our day in the mid 80s with bigger crowds . But in truth i recall games in the early 80s of 4'500 and even in the 90s of 6'500 crowds .
Quite correct . 1958 - 1962 gates averaged 4500 - 6000 in the Southern League. A couple of FA Cup Ties against Hendon and Bridgwater pulled in crowds of 10000 plus. Seems difficult to believe, but it's true. Gates today are about where they should be. An average attendance of nine to ten thousand is light years away.......unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom