Transfer News 2024 January Window Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly, but It's now a given that Murphy and Mills are our starting wingers; I'm referring to our options beyond that. Goodrham and Bodin aren't enough for me. Bodin is having his best season for us, but as I said, he is a much better player through the middle. Tyler isn't anywhere near the level of Edwards, so in order to bridge that gap, a player like Fosu is an ideal option.
Fair enough. For me, Goodrham and Bodin are an outrageous pair of back up wingers when two are already out injured.

If our two strikers were injured, we’d have Perkins and no one else.

If our two centre midfielders were injured, we would start Smyth and Mceachran and have no one on the bench.

If our two right backs were injured, we’d have to change formation.

It absolutely is a question that needs answering right now. We want to be closing in on a new number 9 on or around 1st January. not 31st January. Our strikers have 5 or 6 goals between them and we are 20 days from Christmas, in my opinion we have never been in greater need of goal scorers. Little point in worrying about wingers if you have centre forwards who can't hit the proverbial barn door. I'd be looking to bring in two goal scoring centre forwards who can push each other to the heights needed to sustain a promotion push.

I remember at the start of our success back in the early 1980's we had two strikers banging them in in L1 (old 3rd division), Steve Biggins and Mick Vinter (both 1 in 2 or 3), and then Smith brought in a renowned striker in Neil Watmore to add even more firepower. He got 15 or 16 in about 35 games and we never looked back. All three got moved on pretty sharpish when we moved up a league and in came Aldridge and then Hamilton. There's five or six genuine goal scorers in two or three years, I don't know why it's become so difficult to find them in this era, nor do I understand why managers seem so content to stick with strikers who, er, don't score ?

Clarke-Harris is a decent shout and in years gone by a player as free scoring as Young would have been brought in too.
"It absolutely is a question that needs answering right now" - Are you being purposely obtuse here? The transfer window isn't open so unless you fancy a punt on a free-agent, we cannot sign a striker. 2 of our wingers are now out until the new year. We are desperately light out wide and Fosu is a free-agent that would come in and immediately strengthen a problem area in the squad. Bodin should be moved to play as striker, and Harris should be pushed out wide. If we dont want to do that for whatever reason, we would be silly not to look at bringing Fosu back!

"In years gone by a player as free scoring as young would have been brought in too" - When have we EVER brought in 2 players of the calibre of Clarke-Harris and Young? I think we must be supporting different clubs mate. Decent strikers dont come cheap; let alone 2 of them..

No one is suggesting we don't look at a striker in the January window. I would hope that this is a given and Waldron already has a number of targets in mind, but we have an immediate issue that needs to be addressed before we think about January!

Fair enough. For me, Goodrham and Bodin are an outrageous pair of back up wingers when two are already out injured.

If our two strikers were injured, we’d have Perkins and no one else.

If our two centre midfielders were injured, we would start Smyth and Mceachran and have no one on the bench.

If our two right backs were injured, we’d have to change formation.
Lets address those issues when the window opens. For now, we are relying on Bodin and Goodrham as backup to Murphy and Mills. Given the amount of games we have ahead of us before Edwards and Browne are fit again, I don't think that we have the depth that we need to make it through the Christmas period without further injurires..

Let’s address those issues when the window opens. For now, we are relying on Bodin and Goodrham as backup to Murphy and Mills. Given the amount of games we have ahead of us before Edwards and Browne are fit again, I don't think that we have the depth that we need to make it through the Christmas period without further injurires..
I don’t think we are a club that can sign a third back up winger for a one month period, and if we are I’d still sooner spend that money on a better striker or midfielder.

Injuries happen, and that’s what the back ups are for. Any out of contract player is hardly going to be ready to play five times in three weeks anyway.

Can Woltman not be the third back up winger? Being in the bench for a month can’t be beyond him else there was very little point in signing him.
I dont think shoehorning a development signing into an unnatural position is going to do him any good! Plenty of point in signing him; he's one for the future! We cant be that short of options. Surely?!

"It absolutely is a question that needs answering right now" - Are you being purposely obtuse here? The transfer window isn't open so unless you fancy a punt on a free-agent, we cannot sign a striker. 2 of our wingers are now out until the new year. We are desperately light out wide and Fosu is a free-agent that would come in and immediately strengthen a problem area in the squad. Bodin should be moved to play as striker, and Harris should be pushed out wide. If we dont want to do that for whatever reason, we would be silly not to look at bringing Fosu back!

"In years gone by a player as free scoring as young would have been brought in too" - When have we EVER brought in 2 players of the calibre of Clarke-Harris and Young? I think we must be supporting different clubs mate. Decent strikers dont come cheap; let alone 2 of them..

No one is suggesting we don't look at a striker in the January window. I would hope that this is a given and Waldron already has a number of targets in mind, but we have an immediate issue that needs to be addressed before we think about January!
I'm really not getting the need for a wide player when we have three of them fit, of which two have been pretty consistent starters this season, and the other was an £11m footballer a few seasons ago. Unsure when Leigh is fit again but he can play further upfield too. Our need for identifying a finisher in early January outweighs the need for wide players on every level. Browne has been out forever so it's only Edwards we've lost, as good as he can be we've coped alright without him. Getting someone expensive like Fosu would be a big mistake if it eat in to the budget for a centre forward or two.

I dont think shoehorning a development signing into an unnatural position is going to do him any good! Plenty of point in signing him; he's one for the future! We cant be that short of options. Surely?!

He did play 15 games for Doncaster in the cut and thrust football that is L2 so I don't think he's this complete novice who's going to crumble at the sight of some grizzly L1 defender.

Can Woltman not be the third back up winger? Being in the bench for a month can’t be beyond him else there was very little point in signing him.

Woltman is 13 days younger than Goodrham. At some point he's got to be ready to step up and cover. Now seems as good a time as any.

Woltman is 13 days younger than Goodrham. At some point he's got to be ready to step up and cover. Now seems as good a time as any.

We have had O Donkor as cover/starting centre forward for nearly a season and a half now, he is only 19 and had no experience other than here. Woltman is older, had a loan spell at Chesterfield last season while coming through a top premier league academy, if Woltman isn't ready to step to the heights of cover for the cover wingers then that is a bit concerning.

I'm really not getting the need for a wide player when we have three of them fit, of which two have been pretty consistent starters this season, and the other was an £11m footballer a few seasons ago. Unsure when Leigh is fit again but he can play further upfield too. Our need for identifying a finisher in early January outweighs the need for wide players on every level. Browne has been out forever so it's only Edwards we've lost, as good as he can be we've coped alright without him. Getting someone expensive like Fosu would be a big mistake if it eat in to the budget for a centre forward or two.

I think the question is more could you sign Fosu on a short-term deal for the remainder of December?

If he's planning on continuing his career, he needs to start playing again and a couple of starts for us in a busy period would give him the opportunity to put himself in the shop window for Championship clubs.

(of course this depends on how fit he's kept himself. If he hasn't.....never mind).

Agree wholeheartedly that we don't have a desperate need for wide players in January - especially as I think we'll see Harris playing out there as well once we've brought in a genuine striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom