Home Match Day Thread 23/11/2021 L1: OUFC v Fleetwood Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst neither of us can possibly state 100% what the outcome will be, I disagree on the basis of their league position and recent form. We beat a very poor side last night with a patched up team. On what sensible basis do you say we will beat Rotherham? Even with our full first team, this would be quite an ask. Bookies have us at 3/1 against - time for you to lump a couple of hundred on it :)

Have to be optimistic @Wallop it’s a funny ol game.

Some of the McGuane criticism is harsh. As our footballing connoisseur Bazzer has mentioned, there was a point in the game where he had 3 Fleetwood players to deal with (it didn't help that Agyei had run to the other side of the pitch, possibly in anticipation of a first time ball into the space). Poor McGuane was surrounded by Fleetwood players, but this didn't stop some people near me in the South Upper screaming at him to pass the ball, perhaps not appreciating that's it's impossible to pick out a 30 yard pinpoint pass whilst you're on your own and twisting and turning away from 3 players.

I understand some of the mild McGuane criticism, but what I love is that he brings something totally different to the midfield we've not had since Baptiste left. He isn't scared to run at people, and often beats his man or get's triple teamed which opens up space for other players. If he gets that killer instinct with a pass that Cam and Kane have he'll be a wonderful player in the future. Hope he starts on Saturday.

Some of the McGuane criticism is harsh. As our footballing connoisseur Bazzer has mentioned, there was a point in the game where he had 3 Fleetwood players to deal with (it didn't help that Agyei had run to the other side of the pitch, possibly in anticipation of a first time ball into the space). Poor McGuane was surrounded by Fleetwood players, but this didn't stop some people near me in the South Upper screaming at him to pass the ball, perhaps not appreciating that's it's impossible to pick out a 30 yard pinpoint pass whilst you're on your own and twisting and turning away from 3 players.
I think he suffered a bit at that point in the game because his first instinct is to drive forwards with the ball, but everyone bar Whyte (who was marked) was behind him. He went down a bit of a blind alley and probably needs to learn when to turn back and recycle the ball a bit more, but I suppose wanting to go forwards isn't a bad thing...at least it will satisfy the bloke in the north stand who shouts 'forwards'! whenever we pass it sideways or go back! He's a very talented player though and agree that he does play a bit like Shandon did for us.

Rotherham are a very good team and whoever finishes behind them will go up imo BUT we aren’t a bad team in recent years a full strength Oxford would have lost last night how many matches did it take for us to finally beat Fleetwood and if there is one thing I did notice last night these players are prepared to go to war in that yellow shirt

Rotherham are a very good team and whoever finishes behind them will go up imo BUT we aren’t a bad team in recent years a full strength Oxford would have lost last night how many matches did it take for us to finally beat Fleetwood and if there is one thing I did notice last night these players are prepared to go to war in that yellow shirt

We knew what you meant.

I think he suffered a bit at that point in the game because his first instinct is to drive forwards with the ball, but everyone bar Whyte (who was marked) was behind him. He went down a bit of a blind alley and probably needs to learn when to turn back and recycle the ball a bit more, but I suppose wanting to go forwards isn't a bad thing...at least it will satisfy the bloke in the north stand who shouts 'forwards'! whenever we pass it sideways or go back! He's a very talented player though and agree that he does play a bit like Shandon did for us.
Sorry but when he had 3 Fleetwood players beaten he didn’t run into a blind ally he should have been able to pick out a pass but no one was up with him apart from Whyte without was marked. When you go on a break the whole team should start to as well, so he shouldn’t be criticised for wanting to go in a run and try and make things work, if he turns back then the surprise the counter attack is lost.

as long as we stop their wingers, their midfield, and their strikers - that would be a start.

Saturday has a weather warning for high winds. It won't be a pretty game.

Are they still known as the Rotherham Air Force? :D I remember they had a team of giants last time we played them and they overpowered us.

Whilst neither of us can possibly state 100% what the outcome will be, I disagree on the basis of their league position and recent form. We beat a very poor side last night with a patched up team. On what sensible basis do you say we will beat Rotherham? Even with our full first team, this would be quite an ask. Bookies have us at 3/1 against - time for you to lump a couple of hundred on it :)

giphy.gif

ay has a weather warning for high winds. It won't be a pretty game.

Hopefully high enough to tear a part of a roof off and get the game abandoned just to wind up the Wigan numpties on their forum.

The Ifollow folks struggled to find enough for the extended highlights for this one. Watching the ball roll out of play slowly a couple of times isn’t really a highlight!
Their goal will make an excellent basis for a goalkeeper coaching video.

The Ifollow folks struggled to find enough for the extended highlights for this one. Watching the ball roll out of play slowly a couple of times isn’t really a highlight!
Their goal will make an excellent basis for a goalkeeper coaching video.
The first thing on iFollow extended highlights.: apparently we put out a team 'littered with emergency signings'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom