Home Match Day Thread 7/11/2021 FA Cup: OUFC v Bristol Rovers

Slight exaggeration by you there. One poster saying we are tin pot for having only 5000 for the match, the rest disagreeing.

It was the 7th or 8th biggest FA cup attendance over the weekend, all attendances are down for it. Been true for years now, unless you get a good draw (and those are few and far between in the first round once you get to near the top of league one like we are now, I would say only Swindon at home would have seen us getting big numbers up the Kassam) then it will be a lower crowd than for a league match.

No real appetite amongst match going fans for three cup competitions (the most pointless one having a 3 game group stage) on top of a 46 game league season but finances dictate that it has to stay the same to get a bit of the tv pot money.

I sometimes wonder if my hands are cleaner after washing in cold water and touching dirty taps.

It reminds me of something I once heard A guy who used to wash his hands before taking a leak as he 'knew where his knob had been'.

As long as you don’t P**s on your hands and you shower regularly it is probably more hygienic to not wash your hands after having a P**s in the Kassam toilets, those taps haven’t been cleaned since we moved in.

I can understand people blaming KR for the game turning yesterday but we were cruising even at 2-1, the FA cup clearly isn’t high up on the clubs priority so I can see why he put players on who need minutes.

It is then surely up to the players to prove a point of why they should be back involved? Hanson was shocking but he has been out a long time. Agyie was poor yet again and it summed his performance up when he was moaning at team mates for not passing him the ball even though he was stood offside!
I thought Bodin tried hard but lacked that bit of quality needed.

I think Agyei ( and yes I’ve supported him when others haven’t ) Winnall and Hanson have to be released in January because they’re wages we need for players that at least can play a good game. Players need minutes @Steve Gilbert I agree but not like yesterday with a triple substitution, if this had been the JPT or the Carabeo cup then maybe but the FA cup is where we and or her smaller clubs can make some much needed dosh, yes we may have wealthy owners that will make us one of the richest clubs in the EFL but make some money while we can which could go towards 3/4 good signings in January and keep within the FFP rules.
Yes I thought Bodin played pretty well as well.

It is then surely up to the players to prove a point of why they should be back involved? Hanson was shocking but he has been out a long time. Agyie was poor yet again and it summed his performance up when he was moaning at team mates for not passing him the ball even though he was stood offside!
I thought Bodin tried hard but lacked that bit of quality needed.
I agree with that. I was really hoping a while back that Agyei would develop into the back up striker we really need. But he simply hasn't. Virtually the whole of the East Stand was yelling at him to get back onside at various points yesterday, including at a free kick when he was just stood a couple of yards off - basic stuff. He was so slow off the mark on various occasions as well. I just don't think he has a footballing brain.

I thought the other thing yesterday showed is that we *do* really need Kane or Gorrin in front of the defence. Brannagan is not suited for that position (and is wasted by not being further forward anyway).

Ticket prices for the replay: Seats £15, Terrace £10 and kids for a £1.

Not been there before so a cheap evening out.

KR said the subs were precautionary. Surely McGuane and Taylor could have seen the game out. Was he afraid Matt might get a second yellow. Whatever, it certainly upset the rhythm.
(This is late, but I went straight out after getting home yesterday!)

I thought it was an odd game. The first half was pretty poor with the only two bits of real quality being the goals. We really stuttered and couldn't get any real momentum going. Their equaliser was not unexpected and level at half time was probably about right. The second half started in the same way, but McGuane's goal was the pick of the scoring. After Eastwood made a good save, we really took control for about 20 minutes and quite how we managed to not go further ahead is beyond me. The subs killed us of course, and why on earth Hanson was put on the pitch heaven only knows. It was him who cocked up a really simple pass that lead to the Brizzle move when he ended up giving then the penalty. He is miles away from being ready to be playing in the first team.

In total, I reckon we played well for about 25 minutes of the 90 and still should have won. Those subs indicated what is important to the club this year, and the FA Cup is not it.
If the FA Cup is not important to the club , then why are supporters expected to turn up.

I think Agyei ( and yes I’ve supported him when others haven’t ) Winnall and Hanson have to be released in January because they’re wages we need for players that at least can play a good game. Players need minutes @Steve Gilbert I agree but not like yesterday with a triple substitution, if this had been the JPT or the Carabeo cup then maybe but the FA cup is where we and or her smaller clubs can make some much needed dosh, yes we may have wealthy owners that will make us one of the richest clubs in the EFL but make some money while we can which could go towards 3/4 good signings in January and keep within the FFP rules.
Yes I thought Bodin played pretty well as well.
Bazzer they are under contract, we can't release them without paying off their wages.

Yep your right the best we can do is make them available for loan or transfer and hope a team/teams take a gamble otherwise we are stuck until the summer

Just because they are under contract doesn't mean we have to include them in the playing squad though. If we're serious about promotion January is exactly the time to strengthen the depth in squad.

Ticket prices for the replay: Seats £15, Terrace £10 and kids for a £1.

Not been there before so a cheap evening out.
I remember being really up for my first game there which was just after Wilder left and I think we drew 1-1.

It was beyond freezing on that terrace and there was a part of the pitch I couldn't see. Apart from that, cracking away day! :D

memorial ground appears to have more stands than the Manor did, and an even more eclectic, weird n 'wonderful' variety of stands than our former home had too

been there a couple of times myself ... its a decent awayday

It’s a pity the moaners and downright rude people, don’t appreciate the work Karl Robinson has done over the last couple of years. He is a dedicated guy who believes in ‘one club’ attending even the academy games when he can. I’ve been supporting OUFC for over 50 years and my daughter, grand children and myself are also season ticket holders. Yes we get frustrated with the games at times but nobody, but nobody deserves the comments Karl gets at times. This game hinges on very little faults like Jamey Hanson giving away a penalty at the end. If that hadn’t happened then the moaners would find something else to complain about, i’ve heard them time and time again. Sometimes I’m convinced they want Oxford to lose to prove their point!! Let’s all pull together and get promoted this season. Rant over.

The only benefit of paying a player off is if it a partial payoff, we would have to pay off a very big percentage of Hanson’s wage as whoever take him on will be paying him a quarter of what he gets here and he isn’t going to want to lose money. Suppose it’s still worth it financially but I doubt it will make any difference in helping to bring a player in at our level, it’s not going to be a huge saving.

Some you win and some you lose with transfers, for every Rob Dickie you get a Hanson, just have to hope that good ones outweigh the bad ones.

We hear the word 'sustainable' mentioned a lot. Paying off contracts doesn't fit with that.

That said, we also hear the word 'promotion'.

Back
Top Bottom