Away Match Day Thread 7/12/2021 L1: Doncaster Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why we keep seeming to be worse in the second half. Bristol Rovers, Sunderland, now Doncaster (and maybe more). Any explanations?
Pretty much the entire squad have had covid which not only disrupts their training but can also have longer term issues with their health. Fatigue is likely to be an issue, but I'm not that our performances are as bad as suggested.

Bristol was a bad day at the office, but Sunderland and Doncaster were maybe more noticeable because we were so good in the first half of both games. Sunderland have an excellent record at home and very few teams have outplayed them in one half, let alone both. Whilst Sunderland were very clearly the better team in the second half, I'm not sure that we were particularly bad and actually think we saw the game out pretty well.

Last night, Doncaster made two changes at half time which gave them a bit of belief. Aside from the goal, they had only one or two half chances but nothing like the chances we had. We still absolutely dominated most of the second half and a bit of luck with the offside decisions and a bit if composure by Whyte and we are smashing them.

They said in commentary that we seemed to struggle with the tactical changes made by Donny at half time.
I would say that yesterday Brannagan going off was as important as them going more long ball.
They looked better going forwards undoubtedly, but we still had by far the better chances.
The 2 disallowed goals, Gavin Whyte's one on one and of course James Henry's cracker.

There was also the shot at the other end that had missed, hit the rear stanchion then rolled along behind the net looking like it had gone in. I was fooled....
And there was the shot the keeper palmed down, between his own legs that came back to him off the post.

We could have been 4 or more up at halftime.
Likewise, we could have had 2 or 3 more in the second half.

Brannagan going off, they changed their shape and tactics and put the two big lads up front and that nullified a lot of our threat and put us under some pressure.

Anyways - matters not its 3 points on the board.

Massive 3 points. A back up striker for Taylor as Winnall is done at OUFC and big strong CDM with Gorrin out for another 4/5 months have to be top of the priority list come January 1st then anything is possible.
And a winger ?????

I watched the game, of course we should have been out of sight. But we kept going and found away. We can still get better and i for one was delighted come the final whistle last night… well it was 2am on a school night, I was knackered ;)

There is no way that we can afford to play both McGuane and Henry in midfield at the same time. They are not the sort of players who get stuck in and close players down like Brannagan, Kane and Gorrin do.

So when Brannagan went off we were immediately over-run in midfield. Brannagan would not have given the young Man U loanee the same amount of space that Henry and McGuane had afforded him. McGuane is still miles off full fitness and fades quickly in the second half when starting. As his fitness improves his ability to get about the pitch will hopefully improve.

I'd have prefered it if Henry went to the right side of the front three with Sykes dropping back into midfield. OK Skyes is not as strong or committed as Brannagan but he can get about the pitch and put pressure on the ball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom