Away Match Day Thread 7/12/2021 L1: Doncaster Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just arrived back in Lincoln from Doncaster.
If tonight’s game was a boxing match it would have been stopped at half time, we were so dominant in our play, knocking the ball diagonally wide and first time passes, we were running rings around the home team for the whole 45 minutes, how the hell the game was not won by then is beyond me, being more ruthless and a bit more care with the final ball the game would have been over.
Every one of the yellows inside the stadium knew we needed that 2nd goal, not because Doncaster were any better in the 2nd period (well maybe slightly better) us yellows behind the goal know we are always prone to a defensive mistake, caught out on a set piece or pay the price for over playing in our half and that’s what happened with their equaliser, don’t get me wrong, we had far better chances in the 2nd half, Matty missing two guilt edged chances and Gavin White‘s one on one with their keeper was a low point and not forgetting two goals chalked off for offside decisions, it could and should have been far more comfortable going into the last 15 minutes.
Another win, that is now 8 league games unbeaten and now very much established as one of the top 6 teams in this league.
Fine margins turn defeats into draws, (Saturday at Sunderland) and draws into wins, very much like tonight, we are certainly going in the right direction.
Again, credit to the 400 or so yellows who made the trip.

Massive 3 points. A back up striker for Taylor as Winnall is done at OUFC and big strong CDM with Gorrin out for another 4/5 months have to be top of the priority list come January 1st then anything is possible.
Is winnall injured again?

When I was younger, I didn’t used to be be as nervous watching the games but it took me a while to get over it if we lost.
Now…I’m nervous as hell as I watch the games but move on much quicker if we lose.

God that was nerve racking. Should have hammered them.

Decent win in the end. Onto Saturday….

Sykes….stop bloody diving!
Does my head in.

Just back.

We made that a lot harder than it needed to be in the second half.

McGuane was little more than a passenger but he aside, i thought everyone put in a good shift and offered positive glimpses.

Tonight was all about 3 points. Glad the lads got it done. Kudos to all other yellows that travelled.

Get your tickets for Saturday folks!

No doubt we need someone as DM on saturday. Forde or maybe Hanson but not Sykes or Kane. Im sure Long could do an excellent job there as well

They kept at it, it's what good side do..

Well done to the U's, let's keep behind our lads!

• React
Reactions: m
Well yet again finishing, well lack of, caused this game to go to the wire. How many years have we discussed the lack of a coach for scoring/finishing
We are the 4th highest scorers in the top 4 Divisions in 2021.
Taylor had an offer day and we missed some chances , but these things happen and we did still win ( with 2 very good finishes)

Thanks for the concern @Malc it was afternoon drinking more than anything else! :)

Absolutely battered them in the first half - but were a little lacking in the final aspect of sticking the ball in the net.
Few things, players "going to ground" when the better option is staying on your feet, stop it!
MM is a very enigmatic case, bundles of talent when he`s on it but seems to drift a lot I think it is more in his head than anything else.
Kane & Sykes both vital to the team dynamic as is Seddon, some of his forward movement was like a train coming!
CB - absolute rock in the middle and was missed when he went off, and they definitely took the opportunity to grab the moment.
Defence was under a lot of pressure in the second half when they went with two units up top but coped pretty well with the change.
Matty Taylor - might not have scored but I would love to see his statistics for ground covered - at one point he was the furthest player back looking for the ball.

As for Doncaster - the team look doomed but a new manager might turn it around but not sure they will be able to do it quickly enough.
The Keepmoat is, possibly, my favourite "modern" ground in the lower leagues - same design just a bit bigger, please.
I might be biased though as the relatives only live 3 miles away and a lift to the ground/collection after is always welcome! :)

Great win and let's be honest we are playing some great stuff. We keep forgetting Taylor is class for league one the higher up the league's the better the finishing . Dan has certainly not moved forward from the end of last season.Anither game game closer to the transfer market opening let's hope we get someone else in. Well done Oxford

I wonder if Williams could play this role - was impressed when he was right back and he’s strong and combative and seems adaptable?
I'd love to see Williams given the chance to play a few games on the right wing, the position he was brought in to play in, rather than being farmed around every other position on the pitch

I'd love to see Williams given the chance to play a few games on the right wing, the position he was brought in to play in, rather than being farmed around every other position on the pitch
He has been unlucky in how well Skykes has played in that position and now Gavin Whyte seems to be coming into some form.
I think that hevis fown the pecking order at the moment.

Thought White would have attempted to chip the goalie. He was nearing the edge of his box.
Or with his pace he could have gone round-the-keeper.
He is clearly lacking confidence in his finishing ( although he took his disallowed goal well). He needs a couple of goals, however they come to start regaining his confidence ( and at Shrewsbury when he scored his hat trick he showed what he can do)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom