England v Croatia..............

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members
England won the opener ....did a decent job in the conditions....is it a 'must win' on friday eve?
Nope. Especially if Scotland lose today. We’ll hammer Scotland though. They’re pap..

Finishing second in the group, would actually work in our favour!

I think we're taking fickle to a whole other level here!!

I didn't watch every second of the game today as the kids wanting a water fight and Mrs Egg told me to put the washing away! (International football doesn't have the same pull as Oxford I'm afraid!) However, Kane wasn't exactly shite today! He looked a bit subdued, but then again, he had seen his mate nearly die on the pitch the night before! Also, after a bright 10 minutes, Croatia tightened up at the back and chances were limited until Sterling's goal.

The idea that we'd drop a play that scores every 1.5 games or so for both club and country after one average game is insane! If we beat Scotland, and we should do that with Michael Caine let alone Harry Kane, then we'll likely have qualified with a game to spare - so why suddenly panic?

If we're to get to the final stages of this competition we need Harry Kane on form and scoring, and if he needs an extra game or two to get up to speed then that should be just fine.
I know he did and yes that would have an effect but surely then seeing how he poor he was and if seeing his mate almost dying ( thankfully he was saved ) maybe Kane shouldn’t have started or at least subbed at half time.

Some of the replies in this thread sum up exactly why I found having a more relaxed attitude towards England. Armchair experts who go for the populist choice and harangue the manager when he doesn't make their tabloid-influenced decisions.

SoUtHgAtE sHoUlD pLaY gReAliSh
KaNe Is OvErRaTeD aNd ShOuLd Be DrOpPeD

Jeez.

It was far from entertaining, but at tournament level do you want a team that wins things or plays the beautiful game in glorious failure? As if Greece gave a toss that they won Euro 2004 with goals from corners and freekicks. It's about getting the job done and England were so rarely troubled by a Croatia side who are looking like the decline for them is coming. The approach from England and containment of Croatia made it a fairly breezy encounter. Football fans are so impatient so I'm glad that Southgate sees the merits in careful and calculated build up.

There are very few international sides who can marry entertainment and success together. Possibly the Spain side 2008-2012 qualify for that and France 1998-2000. Most winners in the Euros and World Cups have been sides that you respect and admire without ever really falling in love with, rather like SAF's Manchester United. You admired their dominance but Wenger's Arsenal for a brief time showed how the title could be won beautifully too.

It wasn't the most thrilling game, but I think Southgate deserves credit for doing what he needed to to get 3 points out of a really tough opening game. Sure, Croatia aren't quite the same team as the one that went to the WC final in 2018 (mainly due to age and the loss of Mandzukic), but Modric is still a real baller, and their 11 included Vrsaljko, a La Liga winner with Atletico, Brozovic and Perisic, Serie A winners with Inter, and Kovacic, Champions League winner with Chelsea, so they're by no means a slouch side. They had a slow opening 15 where we looked dangerous, but even after that we controlled the game.

I was disappointed with the starting 11, I thought Grealish had done enough to earn a start, and thought 2 CDMs and a RB in LB over Shaw and Chilwell was setting up quite negatively - but I actually now think Southgate nailed it. Enough to neutralise the most dangerous Croatians, whilst also having just enough going forward to sneak the win. I'd like to hope in the other group games we'll go much more on the front foot, Scotland and Czech Republic are not even close to the quality of Croatia. Bang in a bunch of goals against both, get that confidence up ready for the big test against one of the group of death.

I must admit, I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. Been spoiled with being able to watch every OUFC game on iFollow this year so I missed my weekly/bi-weekly football matched.

It wasn't the most thrilling game, but I think Southgate deserves credit for doing what he needed to to get 3 points out of a really tough opening game. Sure, Croatia aren't quite the same team as the one that went to the WC final in 2018 (mainly due to age and the loss of Mandzukic), but Modric is still a real baller, and their 11 included Vrsaljko, a La Liga winner with Atletico, Brozovic and Perisic, Serie A winners with Inter, and Kovacic, Champions League winner with Chelsea, so they're by no means a slouch side. They had a slow opening 15 where we looked dangerous, but even after that we controlled the game.

I was disappointed with the starting 11, I thought Grealish had done enough to earn a start, and thought 2 CDMs and a RB in LB over Shaw and Chilwell was setting up quite negatively - but I actually now think Southgate nailed it. Enough to neutralise the most dangerous Croatians, whilst also having just enough going forward to sneak the win. I'd like to hope in the other group games we'll go much more on the front foot, Scotland and Czech Republic are not even close to the quality of Croatia. Bang in a bunch of goals against both, get that confidence up ready for the big test against one of the group of death.

I must admit, I enjoyed the game more than I thought I would. Been spoiled with being able to watch every OUFC game on iFollow this year so I missed my weekly/bi-weekly football matched.
Yes, I think you are basically right. Given the age of some of the Croatian team, can see why having one of the pace merchants in Sterling over Grealish was a good move. There is also an element of not showing all your cards early if you don't need too. It is a marathon not a sprint. Italy looked amazing but major championships are littered with teams who start like they do but burn out but also teams who start more slowly like we have but then build momentum.

As good as the feeling is for finally winning an opening game at the Euros, it puts England in pole position.

The group winner will have to play the runner up from Group F so one of Germany, Portugal or France (we can probably write off Hungary). Navigate that and you’re likely to meet Spain in the QFs.

Yeesh.

I saw today that 'Southgateout' was trending on social media before kick-off - I said to my son let's give the man a chance and fair enough, he got more right than wrong. I'd whined a bit about Sterling during the week and he still struggled with the final ball or shot but he kept going and showed real heart. Also, from my limited watching of PL and internationals, I didn't know Phillips could pass it forward! He was a revelation. The only real disappointment was not scoring more against an ageing, not particularly good Croatian team. Modric showed some glimpses of what a great player he has been but didn't do any damage around the box where he has been effective over the years. Legs have gone.

I really like Southgate, most convincing England manager for me since El Tel.

I saw today that 'Southgateout' was trending on social media before kick-off - I said to my son let's give the man a chance and fair enough, he got more right than wrong. I'd whined a bit about Sterling during the week and he still struggled with the final ball or shot but he kept going and showed real heart. Also, from my limited watching of PL and internationals, I didn't know Phillips could pass it forward! He was a revelation. The only real disappointment was not scoring more against an ageing, not particularly good Croatian team. Modric showed some glimpses of what a great player he has been but didn't do any damage around the box where he has been effective over the years. Legs have gone.

That will be the shouty morons on social media, all because he didn't pick Grealish or played Kieran Trippier on the left. It is not like we've just had our best World Cup before this in a long time either.

That will be the shouty morons on social media, all because he didn't pick Grealish or played Kieran Trippier on the left. It is not like we've just had our best World Cup before this in a long time either.
Jack Grealish should be playing. You don’t have to be a moron to see that Southgate has an agenda against him…

He’s one of the best in the world right now, and Sterling gets picked ahead of him, despite being shite all season!

think Grealish is likely to start V Scotland on friday

Jack Grealish should be playing. You don’t have to be a moron to see that Southgate has an agenda against him…

He’s one of the best in the world right now, and Sterling gets picked ahead of him, despite being shite all season!
Yet Sterling scores the winning goal. Sterling's record under Southgate for England has been pretty good plus given the age of some of the Croatian team, easy to see why it was good for one of the wide players to have pace. Grealish will have his moment.

I went to a record shop nearby about two hours before kick-off and there were a bunch of Chelsea fans sat outside a pub chanting the same thing. Pretty much what you'd expect. I've been to a few European Championshipsand World Cups and nothing makes head in another direction quicker than a gathering of Chelsea fans.

A point that may have been valid had Sterling not just scored the winner against Croatia. And Grealish one of the best in the world? Have a word with yourself.
Before you tell me to have a word with myself, go and have a look at his stats and compare them with the other top players in his position. Thanks.

A point that may have been valid had Sterling not just scored the winner against Croatia. And Grealish one of the best in the world? Have a word with yourself.
I think there’s an argument that Grealish could become one of the best in the world in that position. If there was a 25 year old Spanish player creating the most chances in La Liga, with Madrid and Barcelona looking at spending £100m+ on him, people would be raving about him. Being English is actually holding him back in some peoples eyes I reckon

Back
Top Bottom