Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

I'd be sticking a contract in front of Sykes similar to the one we gave Cam. A 2.5 year contract with a release clause that activates in the summer if we don't get promoted. Lets him know we value him and want him to fight for promotion with us, but also assures him if Championship clubs come calling in the summer he can go.

If he continues this form for the rest of the season, gets around 20 goal contributions, and we have him on a good contract his value is probably around 750k? A contract with a release clause of 500-750k if we don't go up protects us from losing a good fee and protects him from being stuck in L1 if we fail to go up this year. Everyone wins - except clubs trying to snag him on the cheap in January but who cares about them.
Unfortunately looks liked that horse has already bolted.

I am worried what if Sykes and Cam go with no noise from the ITK’s about potential incomings, what that might do for the remainder of our season.
I strongly suspect there is a contingency plan in place (or currently forming) but not much point in bidding anywhere until Blackpool stop acting like a small club. As of this moment it’s not our move.

Plus if I’m Sykes, I’m ringing up Ruffels and finding out whether that bench is really worth the wage. He might have some nice new furniture but he’s a top end L1 full back now in complete obscurity and he’s not the first.

You can't force a player to sign a deal.
It's clear that conversations have been had with all the players that we have interest in signing. At the end of the day, if they are delaying putting pen to paper, there is absolutely naff all we can do about it, other than accept that rumours of interest from elsewhere will grow.

On the other hand, we got the likes of Stevens and Brannagan tied up on longer deals quite a while before their existing ones at the time were due to end.

You win some, you lose some.
I agree fully agree, but to discuss the situation as kr did in his interview, when everyone knew who he was talking about can only have a negative impact on the relationship between player and club, and may affect performaces at a time when we need everyone pulling together. Contract talks should be started earlier which could avoid such situations.

I agree fully agree, but to discuss the situation as kr did in his interview, when everyone knew who he was talking about can only have a negative impact on the relationship between player and club, and may affect performaces at a time when we need everyone pulling together. Contract talks should be started earlier which could avoid such situations.

You have no idea when contract talks were started.

I strongly suspect there is a contingency plan in place (or currently forming) but not much point in bidding anywhere until Blackpool stop acting like a small club. As of this moment it’s not our move.

Plus if I’m Sykes, I’m ringing up Ruffels and finding out whether that bench is really worth the wage. He might have some nice new furniture but he’s a top end L1 full back now in complete obscurity and he’s not the first.

I covered this in an earlier post. Ruffs is well thought of at Huddersfield and with Toffolo unwilling to sign new contract, he could soon be first choice.

We will have some good signings players come and go and Iam very positive we will all be pleased by the end of January. With everything .

Dale gone to Blackpool. Wonder if that was the money set aside for Brannagan.
Verbally agreed fee at the start of his loan was circa 500k.
Blackpool said they didn't want to pay that now and he went back to Crewe for a few days.

Agreed fee more in the region of 200k with add ons.

Potentially got an uplift of 300k in their transfer budget than may have been thought at the start of the window.

Still need to hit the clause regardless!

What’s the incentive to the player to give up bigger wages and / or a massive signing on fee? No money being due to a parent club means more money in his own pocket, like when Nelson left for Cardiff. If nobody needs to pay half a million or more to Oxford United then he can ask for a chunk of that straight in his own pocket, or an extra grand or two a week on his salary. Or maybe even both.

We’ve been lucky that some players (Dickie and Brannagan in particular) have been up for protecting the club by signing new deals in recent seasons, but it’s 50/50 as to whether Sykes is as bothered about that. Most players probably wouldn’t be.
Sykes talked about us as a stepping stone in his first ever post-match interview.

I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Sykes has a very young family and will be out to maximise his income which is understandable. Likely he will move this month, we just have to get as much as possible. With 3 months left on his contract we might only get 100k or so.

Just a thought but Omari Hutchinson is on the bench for Arsenal for the first time tonight. He has been tearing teams apart at U-21 and PJT level, pretty much took Chelsea U-21s out single-handed on Tuesday night. Some serious game time against hardened L1 defenders might take him up another level. Worth a loan enquiry??

Sykes has a very young family and will be out to maximise his income which is understandable. Likely he will move this month, we just have to get as much as possible. With 3 months left on his contract we might only get 100k or so.
He's also very ambitious (not a crime). But seems to think he's better than he is. The Republic of Ireland 'switch' was very badly advised. Not sure he'll cut it as a Championship player

The article states Huddersfield are a group of clubs. If there’s a bidding war and we can get 500k then I’d sell if he won’t re-sign & bring back Browne + a big powerful CM

Back
Top Bottom