Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Could it be the board have lost faith in Karl getting us up so aren't giving him any extra funds this window?
You mean like paying for Kane?

Oxford will do stuff this January, it’s clear we are aiming for quality. Looking through the last few winter windows we have bought in a low cost, development player alongside a couple of high quality loans (all this when we have been in poor league positions - being around the playoffs this January *should* attract decent loans).

To add, we appear to bring in loans nearing the end of their contracts, or at least in the last 18months. If the board backed KR through last January with the reported wage contribution for Barker, I don’t see why this January will be any different.

We can all see we need a rotation option for Taylor (doubt we will spend on someone like Stockton who is over performing, not sure will take someone out of non-league as we need an immediate impact. Suspect championship or PL2 loan is most viable). Cover for Seddon and some genuine physicality in midfield.

You mean like paying for Kane?

Oxford will do stuff this January, it’s clear we are aiming for quality. Looking through the last few winter windows we have bought in a low cost, development player alongside a couple of high quality loans (all this when we have been in poor league positions - being around the playoffs this January *should* attract decent loans).

To add, we appear to bring in loans nearing the end of their contracts, or at least in the last 18months. If the board backed KR through last January with the reported wage contribution for Barker, I don’t see why this January will be any different.

We can all see we need a rotation option for Taylor (doubt we will spend on someone like Stockton who is over performing, not sure will take someone out of non-league as we need an immediate impact. Suspect championship or PL2 loan is most viable). Cover for Seddon and some genuine physicality in midfield.

Not long left now

The squad has too many good technical footballers in & not enough leaders/6ft + players. Get the balance right the next few weeks and we’ll be fine.
I think this is the problem, I love the football we play specially when everything going our way like it did against Wimbledon but it’s always the same against the likes of Wycombe Gillingham Cheltenham etc physical/organised sides we can’t deal with them (we never have a no plan B) KR coming out in May after the Blackpool playoff games saying we’ll look to sign players who have a physical element to their game but there’s been no signs of that, Thorniley good with his feet & passing range but can get easily bullied at times the only way he can deal with them is jumping on there back because he’s no taller than Cameron Brannagan, we’ve needed a Shithousery centre back no nonsense defender to play along side Moore (Will Boyle we didn’t manage to get) & defensive midfielder who going to do the real dirty side of the games like today for a long time now but theses are players we haven’t recruited

I’m never usually negative but I feel we are in a bad position currently player wise , with Karl saying players need to realise how lucky they are to play for Oufc is a bit of a jibe at Players who are linked away from the club or haven’t signed a new deal. We need to get these contracts done.

Also I’m a big Fan of Taylor but I really do feel we need a ST who can challenge him for the starting position as we rely on him to much and when he is poor we are poor. We must have funds from the sale of Atkinson etc. Ladapo maybe a good option or look into league 2 and find a striker who can make the step up hate to say it Wycombe done a job on us today and lwho are also running on a considerably lower budget but have clearly recruited very well

I honestly think that McNally is already an equally good player as Thorniley, and has a far higher potential ceiling. All he needs to do is improve his concentration, cut out the odd mistake and work on his passing range. I’d be tempted to put him in the team now
Thorniley is a perfectly decent L1 defender. But no more. He's consistently bullied by the better L1 forwards, and can't cope. McNally is a great athlete, huge potential. He's exactly at the stage Rob Dickie was at a few years ago. McNally needs a good run in the side, up his concentration, cut out the silly mistakes. He's perfectly capable of it, but needs more experience. And then, he'll be the next big sale, if that's what we still want to do!!??!!

I’m never usually negative but I feel we are in a bad position currently player wise , with Karl saying players need to realise how lucky they are to play for Oufc is a bit of a jibe at Players who are linked away from the club or haven’t signed a new deal. We need to get these contracts done.

Also I’m a big Fan of Taylor but I really do feel we need a ST who can challenge him for the starting position as we rely on him to much and when he is poor we are poor. We must have funds from the sale of Atkinson etc. Ladapo maybe a good option or look into league 2 and find a striker who can make the step up hate to say it Wycombe done a job on us today and who are also running on a considerably lower budget but have clearly recruited very well
This bit is not even remotely true.

Not a chance. Top 5 budget quite easily. Ainsworth does well, but Akinfenwa, Vokes, Stockdale, Wheeler etc are not playing for a bit of beer money.

Don't fall for the shite. They've spent well. But they've spent.
Wycombe have the money from their championship season as far as I’m aware if the don’t fo yo this season a few of their players will either have to take a pay cut or leave

Apparently and I’m not ITK it’s about 10th in L1
It's also easier to spend less when you already have a near championship quality side before the window opens, so it's really a false equivalence. Spending this season might only be 10th but they did all their spending last season on a Championship budget. As Kip said, easily top 5 all things considered - Vokes is on 10k reportedly, wouldn't be surprised if a few others are close to that too.

This bit is not even remotely true.
They have their championship money which is what they’re using this season, they have to go back up or lose some of their players. Mind you with all their car parking charges that must go down way to helping them with their playing budget

It's also easier to spend less when you already have a near championship quality side before the window opens, so it's really a false equivalence. Spending this season might only be 10th but they did all their spending last season on a Championship budget. As Kip said, easily top 5 all things considered - Vokes is on 10k reportedly, wouldn't be surprised if a few others are close to that too.
Misread I thought it was our budget that @Oufcstevens18 was in about, yes there’s just be too 6 ours is about 10th

Misread I thought it was our budget that @Oufcstevens18 was in about, yes there’s just be too 6 ours is about 10th
Think we're slightly higher than 10th too, but still nowhere near the top 6 teams. Some have spent bonkers money for L1 this season. As bad as results and performances have been recently, being in the playoff fight given budgets of the top 6 is actually pretty impressive.

Interesting comments from McCleary. He was seen at a few Oxford games a couple of seasons back while talks were going on. You would hope that he hadn’t been rejected solely because he was supposedly too old. He signed for Wycombe when he was 33; OUFC signed Mackie to a two-year deal when he was a month or so away from turning 33. OUFC also may or may not currently be considering a player who is about to turn 33.

Interesting to hear the RadOx post-match panel finally starting to notice that the defence doesn’t keep enough clean sheets, and is generally light in numbers / lacking in leadership. Where have they been for the last 18 months?

There’s a good amount of ability in the squad, but it now needs a couple of players with real balls and character, and for them to be allowed to take charge on the pitch. Letting them be leaders is incredibly important, but might also be the reason it doesn’t happen. Sometimes letting go a little bit can be the best form of leadership.

Think it’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks with some big fixtures to boot. Let’s see where things are come February.

Think we're slightly higher than 10th too, but still nowhere near the top 6 teams. Some have spent bonkers money for L1 this season. As bad as results and performances have been recently, being in the playoff fight given budgets of the top 6 is actually pretty impressive.
Ipswich are spending £9m a season from the figures I’ve seen. Sunderland £7m, Wycombe £6m, our budget or wage spend is £4.9m from all the figures I’ve seen online. Whyte being our highest earner

Also I’m a big Fan of Taylor but I really do feel we need a ST who can challenge him for the starting position as we rely on him to much and when he is poor we are poor. We must have funds from the sale of Atkinson etc. Ladapo maybe a good option or look into league 2 and find a striker who can make the step up hate to say it Wycombe done a job on us today and lwho are also running on a considerably lower budget but have clearly recruited very well
Interesting comments from McCleary. He was seen at a few Oxford games a couple of seasons back while talks were going on. You would hope that he hadn’t been rejected solely because he was supposedly too old. He signed for Wycombe when he was 33; OUFC signed Mackie to a two-

year deal when he was a month or so away from turning 33. OUFC also may or may not currently be considering a player who is about to turn 33.

Interesting to hear the RadOx post-match panel finally starting to notice that the defence doesn’t keep enough clean sheets, and is generally light in numbers / lacking in leadership. Where have they been for the last 18 months?

There’s a good amount of ability in the squad, but it now needs a couple of players with real balls and character, and for them to be allowed to take charge on the pitch. Letting them be leaders is incredibly important, but might also be the reason it doesn’t happen. Sometimes letting go a little bit can be the best form of leadership.

Think it’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks with some big fixtures to boot. Let’s see where things are come February.
Interesting comments from McCleary. He was seen at a few Oxford games a couple of seasons back while talks were going on. You would hope that he hadn’t been rejected solely because he was supposedly too old. He signed for Wycombe when he was 33; OUFC signed Mackie to a two-year deal when he was a month or so away from turning 33. OUFC also may or may not currently be considering a player who is about to turn 33.

He was top class, best player on the pitch. Movement, decision making and link up play was a step up from L1. If it’s true he was rejected on the grounds of age then that’s Robinsons Wilder/Dannie Bulman moment - a right misjudgement.

Wycombe had leaders everywhere, we didn’t have one yesterday.

Surely robbo wanted to sign mcleary as he was at some games. I’m
Sure he talked about an incoming that was him. It’s likely tiger rejected it

Back
Top Bottom