Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

And i was simply saying what info i offered up to the forum 6 weeks ago. If you wish to question Egg and I on our information, feel free to carry on.
I am talking about the present as stated on the OUFC website, not 6 weeks ago.Get over yourself.

Lot of itchy feet on this forum. Still nearly 2 weeks to go. Can we at least wait till we’re inside the last 7 days before we even start to consider moaning about our activity this window?
Would be good to get the business done earlier so we can benefit from those players in the month of January rather than having them having to settle in throughout February etc

I am talking about the present as stated on the OUFC website, not 6 weeks ago.Get over yourself.
I am not ITK, but do realise that the OUFC website will tell you what it wants to tell you.

We might love it if we get told the board approached club X and now KR is talking to Player Y, he's passed a medical and it's just a case of negotiating a goal bonus and release clause on top of his £5k a week salary. This sort of thing goes on, but it's not reported until afterwards and all of a sudden it's magic. "I heard of their interest and jumped at the chance at joining a club on the way up" says the player.

The site says "Joel Cooper was the one player to miss out due to covid isolation", it didn't say where Joel was isolating. It didn't say he had Covid.
They are also not going to say he has gone back to Ireland if the reasons are private at this stage.

There are people who do know some information. I'm grateful for any snippets they are allowed to share as the constant "have we signed anyone yet" does get a bit tiring.

defoes natural goalscoring ability will be too much for our league great player even until the summer his goals may be the difference between getting in the playoffs
If he can still walk, yes maybe. He'd be one of the very oldest players in the league. Jamie Cureton still did it at his age.

I am not ITK, but do realise that the OUFC website will tell you what it wants to tell you.

We might love it if we get told the board approached club X and now KR is talking to Player Y, he's passed a medical and it's just a case of negotiating a goal bonus and release clause on top of his £5k a week salary. This sort of thing goes on, but it's not reported until afterwards and all of a sudden it's magic. "I heard of their interest and jumped at the chance at joining a club on the way up" says the player.

The site says "Joel Cooper was the one player to miss out due to covid isolation", it didn't say where Joel was isolating. It didn't say he had Covid.
They are also not going to say he has gone back to Ireland if the reasons are private at this stage.

There are people who do know some information. I'm grateful for any snippets they are allowed to share as the constant "have we signed anyone yet" does get a bit tiring.

Stop talking sense, psquared. I mean seriously, get over yourself ;)

"higher placed" club entered the chase for Simms. As of yesterday afternoon, Lincoln were less confident of completing then at the start of the week. Doesn't mean they won't of course, but shows there is at least a battle.

Would hope we've at the very least shown interest.

Last edited:
I don’t want us to sign Defoe. I’m not bothered about his age (I’d actually like us to sign some proper, seasoned experience in this window) and I’m 100% confident he could still do a job at League 1 level - particularly if part of a rotating set of strikers meaning there isn’t an expectation for him to play every minute.

But he isn’t the kind of player we need. We need someone who offers something DIFFERENT to Taylor. Be it real pace, be it height, be it physicality, be it a combination of all of those assets. Signing Defoe (or Grigg, I assume that rumour will start up soon - it usually does) simply gives us the same kind of player, albeit arguably with a higher pedigree.

(Not sure how realistic signing someone like Defoe is. I can’t imagine that he loves the game so much that he’d be willing to play for us on what most would deem ‘sensible’ wages for our level - and I don’t know how we could afford the kind of wages he’d like to make it worth turning out at L1 level…)

Feel like I'm the only one that would love a bit of Defoe at OUFC 😅

The man knows where the goal is. And there's a reason he was still at Rangers, a club much better than OUFC, until recently. He scored 7 goals in 20 games last season and 17 in 32 the season before. Sure he's no Zlatan in terms of longevity but his experience and his eye for goal could make a huge difference and, perhaps more importantly, allow us to rest Taylor with the knowledge and confidence we have a striker who knows where the net is.

It's short term potentially, but Defoe is a big upgrade on Winnall and Agyei, and it may well be he sticks around to work behind the scenes to add to our already decent backroom team.

Hopefully a certain Mr Roofe and Mr Lundstram are putting a good word in.

To be fair - I 100% agree he’d be an improvement on Agyei and Winnall

I just don’t think he materially changes our style of play. If we start him over Taylor, or if we need to change the pattern of play in a game, bringing him on for Matty won’t change how we play.

If we did sign him, like everyone else I’d be excited to see a big name with international pedigree playing for us. But my preference would be recruiting someone who gives us a different dynamic to our attacking play

Feel like I'm the only one that would love a bit of Defoe at OUFC 😅

The man knows where the goal is. And there's a reason he was still at Rangers, a club much better than OUFC, until recently. He scored 7 goals in 20 games last season and 17 in 32 the season before. Sure he's no Zlatan in terms of longevity but his experience and his eye for goal could make a huge difference and, perhaps more importantly, allow us to rest Taylor with the knowledge and confidence we have a striker who knows where the net is.

It's short term potentially, but Defoe is a big upgrade on Winnall and Agyei, and it may well be he sticks around to work behind the scenes to add to our already decent backroom team.

Hopefully a certain Mr Roofe and Mr Lundstram are putting a good word in.
ANYONE is a “big upgrade on Winnall and Agyei.”

Back
Top Bottom