Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Although Thorniley is a dependable League One centre back, I think we can do better. McNally has also shown great potential, I'd rather we gave him more game time seeing as he can only improve with more experience, plus he's our player so could be worth a bit in the future.

Our backup options are looking a little light now though.

Next 7 days. - 4 signings needed.

Agyei & Cooper MUST go on loan & be replaced by a striker to compete with Taylor & a left back who can compete with Seddon.

If Gorrin won’t play again this season, then a CDM on loan till the end of the season is also a MUST.

Thorniley recalled so MUST be replaced by a left sided centre back.
....or signed...on a short contract perhaps?

We apparently table a club record bid for one of the league's top scorers and we have some moaning because we're not looking at the next Jamie Hanson instead!!! You've got to love transfer windows!!!

This lad offers a return on investment. I am more excited we're in for Stockton, that Browne or Defoe. I would be seriously impressed if we got Cole here.

In his interview it seems kr isnt 100% certain we need to bring in a cb now Thornily has gone back. But with only 2 recognised cb that play, surely it becomes a priority, or at least someone who can play across the back?

In his interview it seems kr isnt 100% certain we need to bring in a cb now Thornily has gone back. But with only 2 recognised cb that play, surely it becomes a priority, or at least someone who can play across the back?

Certainly a weakness of KR that he likes a too heavy squad attacking wise. We are now an injury to Long McNally Moore Seddon away from a huge issue.

Oh wait… Moore got injured Saturday.

Matty was on a free and Stockton woukd cost almost our record transfer fee.
Most of those goals in the Championship , Christ let's not get to far ahead of ourselves .
Hope we do bring in a few across the squad

Stockton is 4 years younger then Matty and also playing in a Morecambe side that is in the regation zone but has scored 5 more goals and 1 more assist then Matty in the same amount of games this season. You aren't going to get this calibre of player on a free transfer and to get to the next level we need to buy players like this.

Blackpool contact suggests we had mentioned about money, Ethan Robson and/or Thorniley as a last acceptable offer for Brannagan.
Looks like game over on that one (for now)

Wouldn't mind a couple of exciting loans if Kr can pull any off Barker was great.. Any bit of quality we can get in may make the difference.

We don't always need to look at resale value. Matty Taylor will have no resale value but could get us 70 goals over his contract. No reason why Stockton couldn't do the same, and it he gets most of those goals in the Championship for us then £650k will be qpeanuts. And we're definitely not ignoring other positions. I think we'll being in 3 or 4 new players and will be stronger throughout the team.
You say we've put in a bid, not questioning your knowledge, simply interested as to how reliable the information you have is, as it would be a great acquisition.
Shouldn't have to rely on loans

Perhaps KRs comment regarding having options and waiting to see if we need a direct replacement Thorniley, were made with the knowledge that we've already signed a young CB as suggested by more than 1 ITKer????

Shouldn't have to rely on loans
It's exactly what clubs in our league (including those with bigger budgets) and the one below have to do.
Only Wycombe from the top 8 have no loanees

Wigan - 2
Rotherham - 2
Sunderland - 4
Wycombe - 0
MK Dons - 4
Oxford - 3 (since Thorniley went)
Plymouth - 3
Sheff Weds - 6

We apparently table a club record bid for one of the league's top scorers and we have some moaning because we're not looking at the next Jamie Hanson instead!!! You've got to love transfer windows!!!

I admire the ambition of the board and there’s no doubt that starting to table bids of £650k at this level is starting to act like a ‘big club’. Cole Stockton would certainly add something different to our squad. However, I have two causes for concern with this.

The first is the player himself. Lower league strikers can often go through season after season with fine but not eye-catching seasons and then suddenly catch fire and end up with stats Mo Salah would be proud of. Our own Jack Midson scored four goals in our Conference promotion – a very modest return for a striker. He then bagged 18 in 2011-12 for AFC Wimbledon and ended up joint top goalscorer for League 2. Whilst we won promotion in 2015-16 with Roofe leading the way with 18 league goals, Leyton Orient’s Jay Simpson scored 25 as second top league goalscorer. Roofe has since played in Europe and now plays at Rangers. Simpson since then hasn’t scraped double figures in goals since that season and last played in Cyprus. Are we paying for genuine talent or a temporary hotstreak in Stockton? I hope the due diligence has been done.

The second is the deviation of ‘the model’. In bringing in additional resources, I’m slightly worried that the board have lost sight of the club we want to be. Some of our best buys and prospects have come in January such as Atkinson, Brannagan and McNally and I want to make sure that happens. The summer saw McGuane join but no one else I’d really add to the conveyor belt (Ben Davis looks to be here simply because he has a Thai flag next to his name). Let’s not completely forget the model that has got us here. Spending well on Stockton may be worth something if he gets us promoted but if not will there be anyone to pay more than £650k to take him off our hands? At 27, unless he really takes off at a goal-a-game ratio then I see his sort of signing a gamble at getting us up to the Championship in one go rather than the steady accumulation of talent that MApp and MAsh seemed to deploy. It's a bigger gamble doing it this way.

Maybe I’m cautious by nature and like seeing us develop and sell on players. It sells us as a great and reliable stepping stone for ambitious players looking for an avenue to the big leagues. I don’t think we should lose that and I feel that we may have the conveyor belt running dry if we don’t consider more McNally, Whyte, Lundtsram-esque signings.

Last edited:
This lad offers a return on investment. I am more excited we're in for Stockton, that Browne or Defoe. I would be seriously impressed if we got Cole here.
He is 28 in March , would really have to go some to get a
Stockton is 4 years younger then Matty and also playing in a Morecambe side that is in the regation zone but has scored 5 more goals and 1 more assist then Matty in the same amount of games this season. You aren't going to get this calibre of player on a free transfer and to get to the next level we need to buy players like this.
This season being the operative word . He is 28 in March and only done it for one season in league one . We do need to keep improving the squad but other areas cannot be overlooked or the ' model ' completely got rid of on a gamble.

In that case he’s better off staying at WHU and going out on loan until his contract expires.
If that happens to be this summer he may accept.
Unfortunately this is the major problem in football. Prem clubs giving huge salaries to loads of players and when they don’t quite make it they go out on loan but there are very few Kemar Roofes out there who will take a chance and back their own ability
Wouldn’t be good enough for someone to take a chance on him in the championship imo, very in and out in games this season, he gone missing for large periods of games. Figures would have to be right for the club to make it permanent for sure.

Back
Top Bottom