Transfer News January 2021/22 Transfer Window

Could it be the board have lost faith in Karl getting us up so aren't giving him any extra funds this window?
I think they have also I think KR has taken us to where he can now I think a change in management is needed keeps saying we need this and that but nobody coming in while Fleetwood, Wigan ect signing good players they are out there and if we don't strengthen this window the writing is on the wall for KR

I think they have also I think KR has taken us to where he can now I think a change in management is needed keeps saying we need this and that but nobody coming in while Fleetwood, Wigan ect signing good players they are out there and if we don't strengthen this window the writing is on the wall for KR
I think this rather preemptive and not totally fair.

I would say so far the window has not gone smoothly. But some of this is down to the way the club is doing its business. Contracts for key players need to be sorted years in advance not in the last 6 months. Is this Karl's fault? I doubt it he seems pretty frustrated with things also. Had the club done this the windows would have been less of a who are we going to loose side show, that simply has to distract from the main order of business.

Talking of distractions what about the ownership \ stadium never ending negotiations. Does it really take this long to take over a club? Plus the unfortunate timing of the stadium plans all add to an air of uncertainty and confusion at a time where laser focus should be on player transfers.

We all know what we need a striker (or two), a defensive midfielder, and a left back. We do not need attacking midfielders or wingers (unless some of our current talent is leaving). What is a concern is the clubs seemly fascination with the latter, and inability to find a decent striker beyond Taylor. I hope like a duck we are frantically paddling in the right direction under the water and this will result in at least a striker and defensive midfielder in the next week or so.

I think we have a very good squad here that is capable of promotions with just the 2 additions above and the ability to hold onto our best players in this window. I see no reason at the moment to have a go at Karl or for the board not to have faith to back him. I am rather more critical of the owners who's lack of clarity on key issues and overseeing a club that is not signing up key players on contract extensions are hurting our chances.

If we do no business ( or worse loose key players) in this window then we have a mountain to climb to get promotion in this exrtremly tough league this year. However there is still time so lets see whats happens.

Not rocket science in my eyes everybody knows there is a transfer wi Dow in January and surely have months leading up to this to identify players you want to sign so why do we always drag our heels in the markets? Everything's always last minute I don't get it. Taylor cannot play as a loan striker he's not big enough, I commend his efforts so far this season as it can't be easy. Sykes isn't up to it for me goes down far too easily, his attitude doesn't seem to be the best. I'd get a winger in browne and a striker of good quality
I totally agree always saying we need this player we need that player and nothing gets done till last minute then ends up with crap players like winnal, bodin the latter who cannot get on the field just get rid of both and get a quality striker using both there wages if we don't sign any one something is wrong or has the board lost faith in KR

I totally agree always saying we need this player we need that player and nothing gets done till last minute then ends up with crap players like winnal, bodin the latter who cannot get on the field just get rid of both and get a quality striker using both there wages if we don't sign any one something is wrong or has the board lost faith in KR
As I said in an earlier post, in his after-match interview when asked about signings, Karl sounded very despondent in his one word reply.
I am still of the opinion that any available money was spent buying out Kane's recall clause and that he was told to make the best of it after his Summer signings.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong, as without any signings to cover the obvious problem positions we will struggle for the rest of the season against Wycombe-type teams.
There are decent players available as proved by Wigan, Lincoln etc which we are missing out on by the evident dallying.

As I said in an earlier post, in his after-match interview when asked about signings, Karl sounded very despondent in his one word reply.
I am still of the opinion that any available money was spent buying out Kane's recall clause and that he was told to make the best of it after his Summer signings.
I sincerely hope that I am wrong, as without any signings to cover the obvious problem positions we will struggle for the rest of the season against Wycombe-type teams.
There are decent players available as proved by Wigan, Lincoln etc which we are missing out on by the evident dallying.
There is money and targets are being spoken to.

Transfer windows are impossibly difficult, I do see where you're coming from but its incredibly hard to just get rid of players, equally hard to get anyone new through the door, especially at our level. Of course it would be nice to get some fresh faces in but if we don't get exactly what we want it doesn't mean anything is wrong. There are definitely discussions happening at the moment regarding a couple of players.

It's scary how many people seem to genuinely believe that Karl and the board sit round doing nothing and then with 10 minutes of the transfer window to go suddenly think 'right, suppose we'd better get on with these incomings then...'

I think this rather preemptive and not totally fair.

I would say so far the window has not gone smoothly. But some of this is down to the way the club is doing its business. Contracts for key players need to be sorted years in advance not in the last 6 months. Is this Karl's fault? I doubt it he seems pretty frustrated with things also. Had the club done this the windows would have been less of a who are we going to loose side show, that simply has to distract from the main order of business.

Talking of distractions what about the ownership \ stadium never ending negotiations. Does it really take this long to take over a club? Plus the unfortunate timing of the stadium plans all add to an air of uncertainty and confusion at a time where laser focus should be on player transfers.

We all know what we need a striker (or two), a defensive midfielder, and a left back. We do not need attacking midfielders or wingers (unless some of our current talent is leaving). What is a concern is the clubs seemly fascination with the latter, and inability to find a decent striker beyond Taylor. I hope like a duck we are frantically paddling in the right direction under the water and this will result in at least a striker and defensive midfielder in the next week or so.

I think we have a very good squad here that is capable of promotions with just the 2 additions above and the ability to hold onto our best players in this window. I see no reason at the moment to have a go at Karl or for the board not to have faith to back him. I am rather more critical of the owners who's lack of clarity on key issues and overseeing a club that is not signing up key players on contract extensions are hurting our chances.

If we do no business ( or worse loose key players) in this window then we have a mountain to climb to get promotion in this exrtremly tough league this year. However there is still time so lets see whats happens.
I said this is the match thread from Wycombe. I don’t think a defensive midfielder is what we need. I feel it’s a powerful, dynamic midfielder, like sercombe (only L1 standard) who will drive us forward. In our 2016 promotion we had lundstrum in CDM, and Kane is as good.

This kind of player will give us goals and has the ability to take players out the game, baptiste used to do it and I believe it’s what McGuane was brought in for, but it hasn’t clicked. We don’t score enough goals from midfield. People will use Sykes as an counter to that but I reckon 6/8 of his goals have been from the wing. This will take the pressure off Taylor when games don’t suit him or he has off days. Right now nobody looks like they will score.

A nasty CB, a dynamic CM and a back up striker, we will be there or there abouts.

Last edited:
I would add how some simply say 'get contracts sorted out'. I am not itk, but would assume that delays are often a player choosing not to sign a contract extension. This is their right. If, say, you are Moore or Sykes, there are circumstances in which you will want to wait to see our chances of promotion, or - for the sake of argument - whether that rumoured interest from a Championship club becomes a reality. Bear in mind too, that agents make most of their money when players move club.

This window is particularly difficult for us because Im sure we have target players but for instance if it’s a centre forward and centre half and we get them in and then lose Branagan and Sykes we have holes in midfield
I think we are waiting on them two so the sooner those two are sorted the better
Having said that we are still desperate for a LB CF and defensive midfielder all over 6 foot hopefully

I would add how some simply say 'get contracts sorted out'. I am not itk, but would assume that delays are often a player choosing not to sign a contract extension. This is their right. If, say, you are Moore or Sykes, there are circumstances in which you will want to wait to see our chances of promotion, or - for the sake of argument - whether that rumoured interest from a Championship club becomes a reality. Bear in mind too, that agents make most of their money when players move club.
The question here is should we be operating a policy like Peterborough? It doesn’t matter who it is, if somebody won’t sign a contract when they only have 1 year left, they get transfer listed, so they get a fee. Even if that means losing a good player. They did it with Mo Eisa most recently I think. At least everybody would know where they stood.

The question here is should we be operating a policy like Peterborough? It doesn’t matter who it is, if somebody won’t sign a contract when they only have 1 year left, they get transfer listed, so they get a fee. Even if that means losing a good player. They did it with Mo Eisa most recently I think. At least everybody would know where they stood.
I think there is a lot to be said for that. If you get to the 6 month to go stage, the player holds the cards. However.....if someone's on a two year contract, that trigger point comes around quickly so a player might want a longer contract giving the club more risk if this was to become a standard policy.

I think there is a lot to be said for that. If you get to the 6 month to go stage, the player holds the cards. However.....if someone's on a two year contract, that trigger point comes around quickly so a player might want a longer contract giving the club more risk if this was to become a standard policy.
I don't agree with this, unless he is a very valuable player. You miss out on a year of the player's services, and who's to say he won't change his mind and sign anyway?

It's a recurring theme for us. We go into Jan very clear on what we need. And then fail to do it until the deadline day panic.

At least this year Karl admitted sod all would happen.

It's going to cost us this year.

I don't agree with this, unless he is a very valuable player. You miss out on a year of the player's services, and who's to say he won't change his mind and sign anyway?
Yes that’s a fair point, and I guess it comes down to making sure you have a fair valuation for each player. Also you’d know the risks of the player. For example brannagan, I think it will be likely we know that if we get promoted he signs a 2 year deal, if not he’s off. Can you have that same certainty with someone like Sykes or Moore, and as such, should we be more willing to move them on, Assuming they can be adequately replaced

It's a recurring theme for us. We go into Jan very clear on what we need. And then fail to do it until the deadline day panic.

Robinson can’t win, says we will get business done, it doesn’t happen, criticised. Doesn’t say anything, criticised for not saying anything. There is more than just want in transfers, if you’ve watched the Sunderland documentary and class of 92 series, it shows this a little bit.

I will agree though, if we don’t get the right players in, it could cost us, so far, nobody has left and we don’t know who will come in. Let’s just see at the end of Jan

There is a recurring theme that's for sure.
But are people honestly thinking that the club is doing nothing and will only decide to take action in the last few days? They're not going to keep us updated every minute of the day with every bit of information.

Back
Top Bottom