Home Match Day Thread PJ Trophy: OUFC v Tottenham Hotspur U21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been to watch OUWFC/ Yellow Roses a few times ( & will go again too) ... and I take a vague interest in England women/ lionesses competitive games too

both are generally a decentish watch ... but, real/proper/ men's league football it isn't, and its a long way off getting any where near it too- As @Followtheox1 says^^ above, it will get stronger and be a product in its own right.

One mild annoyance is womens football ( PL) gets a dedicated tv show on a terrestrial channel.... EFL is tucked away on Quest with games outside the championship given 1-2 mins screen time .... hardly reflects the attendances of EFL games , even L2 , in comparison to attendance at Womens PL games
Your final point on there is a good one I had in my head as I read previous comments.

One further annoyance for me is how there is a very conscious effort to get women on the men’s punditry panel and yet of the very few build up shows I’ve glanced at for the women’s games on Sky, there is not a man in sight. So it does feel a little bit like a double standard that women can add value to discussions on the very well established men’s game but men cannot add value to an emerging women’s game. Happy to be proved wrong here as I don’t tune in regularly - I’ve maybe flicked on to 4 or 5 of their shows but I’ve noticed it each time.

Eh, what a strange thing to say when trying to argue against female pundits, that is a pretty big thing to have in common when the topic is football!! It would be like saying a female tennis player can't talk about male tennis as tennis is the only thing they have in common. Well that is what is being discussed.
The standard of womens tennis and mens tennis is much much closer than womens football is to mens football. The commercial appeal is comparable, so is the prize money, and so are the attendances. My point is, mens tennis and womens tennis are largely very similar. Being a pundit for elite mens football, after playing the womens game, is like critiquing the best restaurant in town, because you’ve worked at The Hungry Horse.

thought he did ok,was better in this game than the Stevenage one.
was using his strength and pace well, especially 2nd half ... his finishing wasn't great, but there again neither was the finishing of some of the other fringe players featuring tonight

Cooper had a good game

Golding was impressive in his cameo appearance too

I am. Why are there female pundits for male matches, if this isn’t a PC exercise? There are plenty of successful former male players that can offer insight into the game that they have actually played. The only thing womens football has in common with mens football, is the actual football.
Don't know how much of the Euros you watched, but Emma Hayes was far and away the best commentator and pundit. Offered a million times more insight and interest to the games than your Murphys or your Savages, whose tactical insight seems to extend to observing which team had more 'desire'. You're chatting nonsense.

Agree on Johnson. Parillon is a much better prospect in midfield.

Also LCP is out on loan getting regular experience at National League North level which is better long term than a one off game in the Pizza Trophy.

The standard of womens tennis and mens tennis is much much closer than womens football is to mens football. The commercial appeal is comparable, so is the prize money, and so are the attendances. My point is, mens tennis and womens tennis are largely very similar. Being a pundit for elite mens football, after playing the womens game, is like reviewing the best restaurant in town, because you’ve worked at The Hungry Horse.
What do you mean the standard is similar? The Williams sisters lost to to a top 400 male player when they were at their peak. Women play women and it's excellent to watch in my view even though they would get beaten by the top men. If you don't think women should provide punditry on elite male football as they have never played it, do you think that Mourinho should have been allowed to be involved as a manager of elite football having never played it at that level? Should Robinson have been allowed to be our manager, I mean by your logic he can't know anything about elite male football having never played it?

The Should Robinson have been allowed to be our manager.
He’s qualified for the job. He has his coaching badges, and years of experience in the mens game.
do you think that Mourinho should have been allowed to be involved as a manager of elite football having never played it at that level?
Pretty sure he did all of his coaching badges while he was assistant manager to Bobby Robson at Barcelona…

I’m also pretty confident that he was a professional and played at a higher standard than women.

Serena losing to a male PROFESSIONAL that is ranked 400th in the world is absolutely a closer match in terms of standard. The BEST womens team in the world, lost to a bunch of 14 year old boys.

90% of womens football, at even the highest of levels, is played by women who are part time. Find me a female tennis player in the top 200 of the world that plays part time. The young lady that you mentioned, the one that was 400th in the world, is now a multi-millionaire from her performances in only 2 of the tournaments that she has played in the last 12 months. Women footballers would have to work for 40 years to earn that kind of money. They are not comparable.

Last edited:
Don't know how much of the Euros you watched, but Emma Hayes was far and away the best commentator and pundit. Offered a million times more insight and interest to the games than your Murphys or your Savages, whose tactical insight seems to extend to observing which team had more 'desire'. You're chatting nonsense.
She’s very good, agree.

Sadly, most of the female pundits are shocking.

Did she really? Or was it just something liberals started saying to feel good about themselves?

back to tonights PJT - thought the team selected played well, but , despite 3 goals and a few decent saves by Spurs u21 keeper, chances made weren't finished well enough for my liking
And the biggest culprits were Agyei and Bodin

He’s qualified for the job. He has his coaching badges, and years of experience in the mens game.

Pretty sure he did all of his coaching badges while he was assistant manager to Bobby Robson at Barcelona…

I’m also pretty confident that he was a professional and played at a higher standard than women.

Serena losing to a male PROFESSIONAL that is ranked 400th in the world is absolutely a closer match in terms of standard. The BEST womens team in the world, lost to a bunch of 14 year old boys. Yes, the standard is much close in male and female tennis.
Have you seen the results of a top female tennis player, playing a top 15 yr old male player? If not it's difficult to compare right?

You are right about Mourinho, however others like Wenger, Erikson etc became managers without playing professionally.

You are happy for Robinson to be involved in elite male football only because he is male despite never having played elite football. Otherwise by your logic on women, him and Wenger should never have been allowed to be involved in elite male football having never played it.

The reason why Emma Hayes offered much better insight was that she’s a manager/head coach right now. She’s up to speed with the latest tactical developments and fashionable formations (read Jonathan Wilson’s ‘Inverting the Pyramid’ to learn how football formations have changed). She spotted things in games that others didn’t.

That’s my issue with pundits. They may offer something to the playing angle but offer nothing to the coaching/managing side. Most have either never coached, have done but failed at it or managed so long ago that the game has moved on. Emma Hayes offered a contemporary approach which works for either the men’s or women’s game.

The reason why Emma Hayes offered much better insight was that she’s a manager/head coach right now. She’s up to speed with the latest tactical developments and fashionable formations (read Jonathan Wilson’s ‘Inverting the Pyramid’ to learn how football formations have changed). She spotted things in games that others didn’t.

That’s my issue with pundits. They may offer something to the playing angle but offer nothing to the coaching/managing side. Most have either never coached, have done but failed at it or managed so long ago that the game has moved on. Emma Hayes offered a contemporary approach which works for either the men’s or women’s game.
I actually don’t care either way about women’s football, obvs it’s nowhere near as good as the men’s yet but it will get better. It’s being promoted now and will either take off because people get interested or fade away again. If girls get interested I’m all for it.

You are happy for Robinson to be involved in elite male football only because he is male despite never having played elite football.
Does Robinson have all of the qualifications that you need to manage at this level? Yes.

Anyway, I’m not talking about management, I’m talking about punditry. Would you class playing in front of 1800 people and playing football part time as the required experience to be a pundit for elite football, because that’s the reality of womens football. The mens games are being played in front of 80,000, by men that play 3 times a week, and at a standard that they can only dream of.

That’s why no one takes them seriously. You might as well get your average bloke from down the pub.

Whether the male pundits are bad or not, matters not. They’ve been there, in the big games, and they know how it feels!

Last edited:
Does Robinson have all of the qualifications that you need to manage at this level? Yes. Would you class playing in front of 1800 people and playing football part time as the experience that you need to provide punditry for a game that’s being played in front of 80,00, by men that play 3 times a week, and at a standard that you can only dream of? No. That’s why no one takes them seriously.
Right so you agree that women who have the Uefa licence but have never played elite male football are absolutely ok to manage elite male football clubs but just not provide punditry on them? You also believe that Robinson is ok to manage at the elite level but is not ok to provide punditry on it as he has only played in front of 100s etc?

Someone is taking it seriously, have you seen the sponsorship deal etc from Barclays? Obviously these companies are happy throwing money down the drain right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom