Home Match Day Thread PJ Trophy: OUFC v Tottenham Hotspur U21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good entertainment this evening. Crowd was improved by the presence of a lot kids with families and friends - half term so no school tomorrow. Also we noted quite a few foreign students(?) in attendance - nice to see some had bought scarves before coming.
Shame that we are as good as out of the tournament as it brings very good prize money and affords an opportunity to play fringe and youth team players.
Also gave season ticket holders a chance to sit somewhere else, chap next to us was interested in seeing the game from the SSU instead of his normal East stand seat.
As to the players, sadly Dan Agyei looks a shadow of the player we thought he could be, Johnson was invisible in the first half, Alex Gorrin was the driving force in midfield ably assisted by McGuane (needs more game time to get back into full form) and Cooper looked better but still caught the ref's eye with some very wild looking tackles and stray legs - a liability, it has to be said. Bodin was really not at the races other than a few glimpses and missed an absolute sitter when he thought he was offside and didn't play to the whistle - schoolboy error!

Not sure any of the youngsters played their way into the first team although O'Donkor does look the business for the very near future along with Golding who looked like another very good prospect.
McNally was very unlucky to see a second yellow but, he does look clumsy when challenging and really gave the ref all the help he needed in producing a card.

Right so you agree that women who have the Uefa licence but have never played elite male football are absolutely ok to manage elite male football clubs but just not provide punditry on them? You also believe that Robinson is ok to manage at the elite level but is not ok to provide punditry on it as he has only played in from of 100s etc?

Someone is taking it seriously, have you seen the sponsorship deal etc from Barclays? Obviously these companies are happy throwing money down the drain right?
For the second time, I’m not talking about management. You are. You’re taking this out of context. The women PLAYERS that are pundits, are shite. That’s a fact. Women managers as pundits? Wouldn’t know. I am yet to see enough of them to pass judgment.

Robinson is a good manager, he has been a manager in the mens game for years, and has achieved more in the game than most. Can he pass opinion on the mens game, having managed teams in the mens game? Yes.

Why would I care about sponsorship deals? I could sponsor a bottle of P**s if I had billions to play with. That’s by no means an indication of standard..

For the second time, I’m not talking about management. You are. You’re taking this out of context. The women PLAYERS that are pundits, are shite. That’s a fact. Women managers as pundits? Wouldn’t know. I am yet to see enough of them to pass judgment.

Robinson is a good manager, he has been a manager in the mens game for years, and has achieved more in the game than most. Can he pass opinion on the mens game, having managed teams in the mens game? Yes.
You think all women players who are pundits are shite? There are plenty of shite male ones too.

You think all women players who are pundits are shite? There are plenty of shite male ones too.
Every single female player that I’ve seen as a pundit, has been P**s poor. That’s not even bias, that’s an objective opinion. They wouldn’t last 5 minutes on the pitch, so how can they sit there with a straight face, and critique someone like Ronaldo? It’s stupid.

Eh? That’s obviously not what I said, nearly all of the people creaming themselves over her were men.
I don’t think Emma Hayes looks very liberal! She’s a tough cookie. Yes some guys are eager to be supportive in a way you’d probably call ‘liberal’ but the women’s game will only flourish if women of all persuasions get into it.

Every single female player that I’ve seen as a pundit, has been P**s poor. That’s not even bias, that’s an objective opinion. They wouldn’t last 5 minutes on the pitch, so how can they sit there with a straight face, and critique someone like Ronaldo? It’s stupid.
You mean subjective right? All our opinions on pundits are subjective. Unless that is you know of a validated scientific tool that validates punditry.

Well what a night, Bodin missed three “her indoors” could have scored, Dan the man was not the man, not a footballer either, Cooper surprised me, accomplished finishes and had a go when he was playing left back, Johnson much better second half, McNally unlucky, good experience for the others, Gorrin led the midfield and educated them. Spuds kids knew they had been in a game which is important.

Agyei is shite, let’s be honest. Winnall might as well retire. Let’s be more ruthless and bring in a proper striker to compete with Matty T in January.

McGuane a big positive tonight and will be a huge player 2nd half of season.
Low on confidence but I still think he's a decent option.

Agreed re Winnall, legs have gone.

Good to see McGuane and Cooper making progress and looking good. McNally has red card written all over him.
Apart from Gorrin as well, neither the peripheral players or kids look like they are anywhere near bothering the first 18. Chance to impress passed by.

Well what a night, Bodin missed three “her indoors” could have scored, Dan the man was not the man, not a footballer either, Cooper surprised me, accomplished finishes and had a go when he was playing left back, Johnson much better second half, McNally unlucky, good experience for the others, Gorrin led the midfield and educated them. Spuds kids knew they had been in a game which is important.
Cooper as backup left back?

Interesting

Agyei is shite, let’s be honest. Winnall might as well retire. Let’s be more ruthless and bring in a proper striker to compete with Matty T in January.

McGuane a big positive tonight and will be a huge player 2nd half of season.
That is bang out of order re Agyei. During the few minutes I watched he put in a couple of excellent crosses both of which should have led to goals,created a couple of chances himself he could and should have put away,and held the ball up and got decent passes away. You need to remember he has been given zero votes of confidence by Karl and had very little game time. He worked his socks off to play the full 90 minutes. Until January he is the main back up to Matty and should have our support not moaning.

Womens football, at least in this country, is put in on a pedestal, and it’s a pedestal that in no way shape or form, matches the quality of the game that is being played! The problem is, with all of the attention that it rightly or wrongly receives in the media, the standard of football is no better than a decent U16’s academy side. In fact, I’ve seen reports of the US ladies team getting absolutely walloped by a young academy team. The womens game deserves exposure but it doesn’t warrant anywhere near the level of coverage that it currently receives. Largely, it’s another PC tick box exercise, because if we were to broadcast sport based on the quality and appeal, would it be shown? No.
Why do you think people aren’t interested?

They’ve historically had almost no coverage and they’re already getting enormous crowds at their cup finals and the marquee games.

If you remove the physiological advantage that is an accident of birth then I’d suggest the overall quality isn’t too far different.

Last edited:
I am. Why are there female pundits for male matches, if this isn’t a PC exercise? There are plenty of successful former male players that can offer insight into the game that they have actually played. The only thing womens football has in common with mens football, is the actual football.
Why are there male pundits for women’s sports?

The promotion of women's football is mad lately, no matter how much they push it I'm not going to watch it. Mens football takes up enough of my time as it is.
Nobody’s forcing you. Same with formula one. I find it pretty average as a “sport” but it’s all over bbc sport .

The standard of womens tennis and mens tennis is much much closer than womens football is to mens football. The commercial appeal is comparable, so is the prize money, and so are the attendances. My point is, mens tennis and womens tennis are largely very similar. Being a pundit for elite mens football, after playing the womens game, is like critiquing the best restaurant in town, because you’ve worked at The Hungry Horse.
How have you measured the disparity difference between the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom